in

Lava Dome Five

Why are you here? Get to the new site!

BraveStarr DVD collection released!

Last post 07-12-2007 5:50 PM by Blue. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-03-2007 10:38 PM

BraveStarr DVD collection released!

Well, it's really interesting and a coincidence that as soon as RipRoarRex posted some of his older art to his new website, that there was a giant stompy horse by the name of Marco (which I'd bet a lot of kruft on is a play on 'macro').  I think it may also be more than a coincidence that he has more than a passing resemblance to Thirty/Thirty, probably the sexiest character Filmation ever created.  Smile Yes, it's a horse like Thirty/Thirty that can really burst my nipples, I gotta tell you.  I don't often go for horses...I almost always prefer toes on the giant feets that are stompin' me...but for certain ones, drawn in certain styles...damn, I'm too overcome by other things to worry about the fact that it's a solid hoof coming down.  Laughing

So, naturally, I picked up the DVD at Best Buy Browse on the way home from work, and I've already watched the first DVD, which is the intro movie that Filmation originally made.  And goddamn, yes, Thirty/Thirty is still as friggin' hot as ever.  I'll be posting stills from the DVD of him probably tomorrow, since I have the day off.

Apart from Thirty/Thirty, there's actually quite a bit of macro stuff in the movie.  Lots of sizeplay, and although I have a special place in my heart for the spaceship animation in the Filmation Flash Gordon cartoon series as being some of the absolute coolest animation of my childhood, now that I'm seeing BraveStarr again, and probably because it was one of the later Filmation cartoons (the movie was in 1987), I have to admit that for a Filmation series, it's pretty good.  There's still a few of the Filmation trademarks -- the sequences where it was like the editor had epilepsy and you get 1/2 second clips of action jumbled together, and the use of stills and animation re-use, but not as much as in earlier Filmation works.  Shoot, I think if you had 5 episodes of Flash Gordon and a computer video editing system you could make all the rest of the episodes in the entire series.  :)  Not so much with Bravestarr, at least not with the pilot movie...I have yet to review the episodes on the other disc in the package, though, where I'd wager there is more animation re-use.

Another interesting thing is how you'd never see a cartoon like this created now, with today's Morality(tm).  Guns everywhere, villains smoking stogies, but yet...no booze in the neo-techno-western towns.  I'd wager that since it relied heavily on Native American influences, the creators decided that having booze would be quite a faux pas...I'm about to watch the movie again with the commentary, so maybe Lou will explain that.

Anyway, as I eluded to earlier, something tells me that it's going to be no surprise to hear that RipRoarRex and Canaan both were well-versed in Thirty/Thirty growing up.  And if this is news to either of you...damn, you have got to see his sexy ass.  And stills don't do him justice -- I think I'll post some animation clips of him as well.  And yes, he even says, "There's stompin' to be done!" at one point in the movie.  Stopyclaw

So see?  It's not always about the giant dinosaurs and dragons for me.  hehe

Have you ever seen a BraveStarr episode?

• Yes, I saw them when originally aired (50%)
    • Yes, I saw them on VHS or DVD (0%)
    • Sorta -- couldn't find an episode, but have seen pictures (0%)
    • Nope, but you make it sound so good, I wanna! (50%)
    • Total Votes: 4
    • Voting Ended: 1/1/0001
    LD5
    Dinosorceror, Administrator
    Lava Dome Five Enterprises
    Stopyclaw.
  • 07-03-2007 11:50 PM In reply to

Re: BraveStarr DVD collection released!

Dinosorceror:

Well, it's really interesting and a coincidence that as soon as RipRoarRex posted some of his older art to his new website, that there was a giant stompy horse by the name of Marco (which I'd bet a lot of kruft on is a play on 'macro').  I think it may also be more than a coincidence that he has more than a passing resemblance to Thirty/Thirty, probably the sexiest character Filmation ever created.  Smile

Anyway, as I eluded to earlier, something tells me that it's going to be no surprise to hear that RipRoarRex and Canaan both were well-versed in Thirty/Thirty growing up.  And if this is news to either of you...damn, you have got to see his sexy ass.

Then allow me to surprise you, Dino, because it is news to me!! I've definitely never seen this BraveStarr thing, nor do I recognise the company Filmation, though having read their wikipedia article and recognised some of their shows - particularly He-Man, which I know my elder brother used to love as a kid - then I'm surprised I've never stumbled across Filmation before. I've just done a quick wikipedia search for BraveStarr and as it was shown in the US before 1989 and me being British and born in 1988 (with very little recollection of anything before 1995), I'm guessin this is one of those things that I either wasn't around early enough for or they didn't show in this country. So thanks for letting me know! Lol! Big Smile

As I say on my website, what is also coincidence is the naming of Marco, because I first gave him that name about a year ago based on a TV character of the same name who seemed to have the ideal voice for him. But that was before I'd discovered the macro community and before I realised what "macro" meant (my only experience of the term coming from whatever those macros are you get on Microsoft Access, and a very old Game Boy game called Super Mario Land 2 which had a shrinking zone called Macro Zone... which only NOW do I realise why it was called that!! Lol!) I have to admit though, I wish the name Marco was a deliberate pun because it seems so obvious now!! Lol! Big Smile Big Smile

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RRRexBoardSignature

RipRoarRex - Creator of Rexar

Visit my new website: RipRoarRex's Realm
  • 07-04-2007 1:05 AM In reply to

Well, this is definitely cool then, as I know you're going to love Thirty/Thirty.  I'm ripping the DVD now in prep for extracting his debut sequence, which is really well animated, and I'll be uploading that to the chunky bandwidth site for everyone to download off of tomorrow.  I really should get myself to bed now...  :)

LD5
    Stopyclaw.
  • 07-04-2007 4:45 PM In reply to

Okay, finally got some Thirty-Thirty stuff ripped off of the DVD.  Here is a ZIP file full of stills from the video in question, about 2 megs:

http://download.lavadomefive.com/3030/Thirty-Thirty_Stills.zip

And here is a seven minute video clip of the entire Thirty-Thirty introduction sequence, edited in one spot to remove unrelated material.  It's a 768Kbps XviD MPEG-4 video with MP3 audio, about 47 megs:

http://download.lavadomefive.com/3030/BraveStarr_Thirty-Thirty.avi

I also made a version that uses the Sony/iClod MPEG-4 codec, so it's essentially the same but made to run at 320x240:

http://download.lavadomefive.com/3030/BraveStarr_Thirty-Thirty.mp4

I recommend the AVI version, though.  So there, as promised, everyone who hasn't seen can now see 'em.  Laughing

LD5
    Stopyclaw.
  • 07-04-2007 8:10 PM In reply to

Well, I just watched all of the episodes on the second DVD of the "Best Of" collection, and they're not much, although there is the one that Wikipedia mentioned about drug addition to "Spin" that involves the death of a child...never see that in a kid's show these days.  Not really any macro video either...but 30/30 sure loves saying "he's got some STOMPIN' to do!"  WOW! Stopyclaw

And...there is some SCARY SHIT that I must've repressed as a child in the extras/ads for other old Filmation DVD's being released.  Live action stuff that would make your skin crawl.  "Jason of Star Command."  "Ark II".  Lightning  I think the pocky-clipse would occur if these were broadcast again.

LD5
    Stopyclaw.
  • 07-05-2007 9:21 AM In reply to

I've just watched his introduction - I gotta say, I like!! Big Smile He's a real hard-ass!! Smile Lol!

Good stuff, Dino!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RRRexBoardSignature

• 07-11-2007 1:59 PM In reply to

• Patch
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-16-2007
    • Posts 46

No one else has made this connection, yet, so I figure I will...

I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with David Firth's stuff, but there's a character that's strikingly similar to this 30/30 you speak of here.

( http://burntfaceman.com/5.htm )

I don't know what the whole Bravestarr thing is about, but if someone wanted to, they could e-mail Firth and ask whether the character is meant to be a ripoff or not.

Anyway, 'just figured I'd bring that up in light of making connections like marco=macro, which, by the way, I utterly fail to buy as a coincidence, even if there was no conscious attempt at punnery; most macros seem to have some kind of gene for it.

The last thing I want to do before I die is pull the trigger.
  • 07-11-2007 8:07 PM In reply to

After watching that web-toon, Patch, yep, no doubt in my mind it's 30/30 there. Smile

LD5
    Stopyclaw.
  • 07-12-2007 9:19 AM In reply to

It is indeed Thirty/Thirty! Lol!

I'm also rather amused by two other things about that clip: A.) that I suddenly realised I AM familiar with David Firth's stuff thanks to being with some of my old schoolmates whilst they were watching three of those Burnt Face Man cartoons a couple of years ago, and B.) that it says at the end "Mel Gibson's Safari is a real game made by Mart Poom", because for those of you who aren't crazy about football (soccer) like I am, there is also a very well known Estonian goalkeeper called Mart Poom... strange - that's not the first time that's happened; the guy who created programming software package Game Maker (which some of you may have used) was called Mark Overmars, coincidentally sharing his name with a former Arsenal winger... what is it about programmers and footballers?!

...I've just realised how enormously far off-topic I appear to have strayed. Apologies. Let's bring things back to claws, shall we?

Stopyclaw Stopyclaw Stopyclaw LOL!

RRRexBoardSignature

• 07-12-2007 3:53 PM In reply to

• Karo
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2007
    • Lemoore, California[but home is Ohio]
    • Posts 49

okay dino, you got my intrest [damn equine lust] I'm takin a lookie see on youtube. neat stuff.

got Paws?
  • 07-12-2007 5:50 PM In reply to

• Blue
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-09-2007
    • Raptorland
    • Posts 230

I recall I quite liked that buff sexy equine way back when I saw an occassional episode or two. But I had him less cheesy in mind as most the stills (#14 is a nice exception I think) make him look... Sad

Still nice though. Smile

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Copied Right 2473 Jurassic Phase, Inc.