Member Sites 
Faibanx MUCK
Artist Gallery
It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Quick Question
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:40 am 
Species: Anthro tree sloth
Wow. I've not been here in ages, and I've not been to m.com in years (Though I have heard about what has happened in the subsequent years) and I wouldn't want to go back there. I used to be on m.com a long time ago, about the same time as tombfyre give or take a year or two. However at one point in the early(ish) 2000s I can remember considering leaving. And why? Back then the forums were almost completely dead (no activity). And many of the websites were in a state of decay. I recall one which had someting like "Updated 1997" or "Updated 1998", 3 years or so out of date. Many links were totally broken and not working. So much so that I considered leaving (at that time) because I assumed that whoever had setup m.com had abandoned it and gone off to make m.com version 2 or something - I thought the site was a dead, abandoned site! Another one of the pages on m.com I remember at the time was either something like a blank ftp page or a totally blank page!

Later on I did leave when it all turned bad however - by and large the m.com V lofty bearing "war" did it for me. I won't go into details here but I know things were said ( I recall one fur wanted help or something from m.com and got nothing), that many m.com furs joined m.com (and left shortly afterwards). And also something was briefly said at that years' anthrocon; I have this on tape as I happened to be taping that years' macro panel at anthrocon.

From what I can gather m.com is a total and utter shambles now, it is a website pretty much about nothing and largely as billythecat said, i.e. m.com isn't a very friendly place. Tombfyre's quite right on what he says too about getting ignored. I know of either a fur there who was either just a member or maybe even a mod there at one time - I can't remember and it was just before I was even there; they have long, long since left feeling the place is just one big clique. Pretty much that was my experience of that place too.

I just wonder why from what I've heard m.com has gone to the wall and in such a mess. Maybe those who run it aren't that entustiastic about doing it any more, prehaps? I have no idea.

Apologies for any haziness above. It's been a long time since a lot of this happened!

Just to go OT for a second, I wonder what happened to the guy who ran lofty bearing, wolfmech? Wonder what he's doing now?

SP

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:11 pm 
Blue Raptor
Species: anthro raptor
Welcome back.

Yes, it is sad what has become of m.com. Dont recall ever having been to lofty bearings though...

:ld5: :up: :angel:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:47 pm 
:) ta !

Lofty bearing was a pretty good place, similar to bigfurs (from memory it vanished back in '06, maybe even '05 I can't recall). Though the 'war' between m.com and LB (lofty bearing) ended in lofty bearing's demise. IHMO as for m.com, it needs a *major* shake-up.

Probably only the front page will work, but here's a link to the internet's "wayback engine" (archive), and to a few pages saved by it;

http://web.archive.org/web/*/www.lofty-bearing.org

SP

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:58 pm 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
Wow, is the "evil empire" of macrophile.com really in that bad a shape? I only see what Blue pokes my way, and usually I don't pay attention to that even. :)

I certainly remember you from way back, slothpuck, and it's good to see you around again. :) You don't have to worry about LD5 going dead because it's always dead. :) (watches Blue's head explode) Blue has been an absolute zealot about advertising LD5, but I'm still tiny and lazy.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:29 pm 
From what I've heard, yes m.com is really well.....it's a shambles from what I have heard. What billythecat said about hate drawings is quite true. And I don't know if there's any connection to this - maybe not - but there was no macro panel at anthrocon this year, and I can't remember but I don't think there was even one last year. I'm thinking those who run m.com and who might've been on the panel at AC during macro panels must no longer be enthusiastic about it. I mean I remember m.com as being rather lax about rules when I was there, but from what I can gather now it's almost a free-for-all.

But wow, you remember me ? :) Yays! :)

Very few do!

I'm still lazy as well. But I'm an anthro tree sloth, so it comes with my job description hehe!

SP

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:02 pm 
Self-made mule
Species: hinny
If I recall, I've also got vague rememberences of you, too, Slothpuck.

Your detail kindof makes me feel a little more sane about really thinking of LD5 as 'home' more than anyplace else (that includes IRL, weird, eh?) I've noticed that FA has a burgeoning macro community, but due to the lack of a proper-search function (you can call me Blue, here) it's not as convenient as it could be, and currently navigates a little bit like MySpace, with an ever-changing maze of "friends," "favourites," and so-on. There people can be a bit bitchy on their profiles and in their journals (notably Foshu, but perhaps there's some inside joke I'm missing about that) but it generally appears to stay pretty civil, despite how cutthroat I consider the organization-system to be, at times.

What we're still fighting to get here is why we can't keep more people for prolonged periods, despite ofcourse Dino's unabashed laziness. Maybe if we cloned Ahastar a few times and had him help to pump out art-pieces every day then people would feel more obliged to come and bask in the glory here, rather than showing up and realizing that the content's not always going to make itself. *shrug*

;.; And I really liked Lofty Bearing. I was never aware of hostilities between them and "m.com" but it's a shame they didn't come out on top, because thinking of their now-defunct site brings back good memories of my more naïve days as a learning and growing macro. Incidentally, I also just noticed there's no Wikifur entry on Lofty Bearing. (Insert call to action here.)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:29 am 
Yay :D Someone else remembers me! I must be getting famous. Prehaps I should begin with my signature. I can only sign rubber cheque books for now though :lol: .

You're absolutely right - there does seem to be quite a lot of intrest in macro on FA (which is intresting as I'd not realised there were so many more artists who at the very least would draw macro; it is in complete contrast to m.com it seems). It's true though the way FA operates could be better - it would be nice if it gave a more detailed list a la a livejournals' friends page. That aside I do have some worries over FA (not those on FA!), mostly they are political though I won't go into that here. Some of FA's code also seems still to be a bit lousy as well, for example I find going from a single thumbnail to a full picture dosen't always work on FA.

As for keeping people here for long periods, I'm not sure on that one. From what I can gather forums often ebb and flow naturally, that is one time there'll be boatloads of content while at others it'll go completely dead or nearly. And I suspect FA itself has had an effect on most furry forums, I'm gussing at least some furs have moved from forums to FA now.

Never heard of anyone called Foshu, btw!

SP