Faibanx MUCK
Artist Gallery
It is currently Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I need sprites!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:42 pm 
Blue Raptor
Species: anthro raptor
Well I have a lot of ideas for naughty macro games again, but...
As fun as it is for me to think up things and do the occassional set of buildings or cars, as impossible is it to come up with a set of sprites for the main character. I have looked on the interwebs and found some sprietsheets even, but they sadly all sucked in one way or another.
So unless someone wants to render a 3d model in the right poses to make sprites of, perhaps any of you have come across a decent set I could use. So if you find a set of sprites that would work for that purpose, please tell me. :)

Here are the required criteria:
- furry or scaly character. I sure can find a human, but that is bleh.
- full sheet. It is no use if its not the complete set but only few poses.
- of a decent size. It's little use when its only ten or twenty pixels high.
- full walking animation sideways. At best in all 8 directions. Diagonal only is hard to use.
- some attack animation. Some grab and crouching would be optimal.
- not chibified. I got tons of spritesheets where the characters consist of little more than the head. No good.

Oh, and please dont bother telling when you think you recall a super cool game that you loved so much...
Even if a game DOES have the proper sprites in it somewhere that is of no use if you cant find them extracted or got screenshots of every single animation step and action, sorry. I know tons of games myself but cant find the sprites for those so knoing a cool game is of little use.

Thank you very muchly. :D

Post subject: Re: I need sprites!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:45 pm 
Magnificent Bastard
Send me a list of those "cool games" and I'll see about ripping stuff from the ROMs. As far as my current personal collection, I've got some medium-sized sheets of cool-looking dinos, but none that match your octo-directional ideal.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:58 pm 
Species: Black Ice-Demon Dragon
So...how are sprites given in which format?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:02 pm 
Magnificent Bastard
You mean like file format? PNG is the way to go, as BMP is very large in filesize and JPG tends to make things fuzzy around the edges. TIF retains quality like PNG I believe, but cannot be opened by as many programs.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:17 am 
Blue Raptor
Sprites dont come in a file format. They are just stuck into a big wallpaper bitmap, that is indeed best saved in .gif if the creator knows how to make the palette adapt to the colors the sprites have instead of using a default preset one which only works if the sprites were made in the same palette as .gif only has 265 colors, .bmp if that skill is not present but the files are huge then, or .png if you are fancy and want to use only the newest and coolest stuff, which works like .gif but needs a little less space, and can even have full color.

Sprotchymon wrote:
Send me a list of those "cool games" and I'll see about ripping stuff from the ROMs. As far as my current personal collection, I've got some medium-sized sheets of cool-looking dinos, but none that match your octo-directional ideal.

Oh, I am even willing to use just left-right ones by now for lack of better. Are they anthro?

As for the games... varios Rampage incarnation and a nicer of the AAAHRG! ones have usuable sprites of course, since they already have some macro stuff. KOTM would work and I even got the sprites for those, but sadly the critters are pretty ugly and most animations clumsy or too weird to be of any use. Then Digimon Battle spirits might be some good if I find a good one with at least a visible body and then mod it into a REAL body (not 50% head), but I found no decent-bodied (male) digimon (an Agumon or Veemn e.g. wouldnt have been much good even without being chibified, and in that game they consist of little more than head). I am still pondering pimping Renamon to be usable, but there is no walking animation for her (just running) and its harder to add naughty messy macro actions to a female not-really-existing body... :whistle:

I have had more awake monents when I searched for other games that came to my mind but without success, that I ... forgot about now. :angel: So I guess you got me there. I ranted more than I actually should, given I forgot.
I just saw that http://www.spriters-resource.com/ seems to have updated and added quite a lot, maybe the right game in mind does any good there after all as there seems to be lots now. Sadly there are usually only a few poses of rather randomly chosen things from the game, but still.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:44 pm 
Magnificent Bastard
Gunter from Galaxy Fight is pretty huge and also has fluid motions. The video doesn't show his walk cycle as it is a Player Vs Player match, where the general mindset amongst all those other split-second decisions is "why walk when you can run?"

Also, some characters from the Suidoken series might make good lesser characters... or stomp fodder.

Tales of Eternia brings us this pretty cool Dinosaur. (Some assembly required.)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:34 pm 
Blue Raptor
The first one looks interesting indeed, among the second I didnt see anything interesting.
The Dino look so-so if I feel like puzzle-ing. Not exactly woot!, but it will still be hard to get him to hump buildings or grab and eat something from the street. :zillaright: Would look rather clumsy and wonky I think.
What do you think?