Artist Gallery
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:47 pm

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Primal Rage 2 petition
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:10 am 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
Just got this E-mail out of the blue from a Primal Rage 2 fan...apparently there were plans underway at Atari to make a Primal Rage 2 and they dumped it, so there's a petition going to get it out of the dumpster:

Quote:
I was wondering if you would be willing to help out with something. I found a Petition on the web to bring back "Primal Rage 2", and I think it may work if they can get enough signatures on it.

I already signed it, And I'm not just asking you to sign it, but I'm also asking if you would please Put a link to it on your page, so other Macro fans can add there signatures to it, and hopefully get this game out to the public.

I'm going to put a link to it on my Yahoo groups, in my forum sigs, and on my writing.com account, on my deviant arts page, and other places that I hope it will be noticed.

http://www.petitiononline.com/prfans/petition.html < there's the page.

Keep it Brutal...
Midyin..
midyin@hotmail.com

Post subject: Re: Primal Rage 2 petition
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:26 am 
Species: Rapter
Thank you very much for posting this here... :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:32 am 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
No problem! I think you'll find that quite a few people around here enjoyed playing Primal Rage. :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:55 am 
I been coming here for quit a while(I've been a long time Markie fan), and Had a sinking suspicion that If I wanted to get people to rally for a Game about Giant monsters eating people, and fighting for world domination This may be the best place to start... lol

I also tried VGGTS(Video Game Giantesses) seeing on how Vertigo is Female, and The sequel has 2 new monsters and 8 giant humans(The Avatars, and two of them women), but was disappointed by his response....

Thankfully even though he wasn't willing to post a link to the petition on his site I was able to convince him to sign it(#214), and I appreciate that he took the time to read my E-mail and do that..

Thanks again for posting the link.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:19 pm 
Snufftastic Raptor!
Species: Half-Demon Deinonychus
Well no wonder the reception was miffed before Primal Rage 2 - they cut out the dinosaurs and replaced them with fighting human worshippers. That is about the same as if you would slice out the cars from the newest version of Gran Turismo, replacing them with wheeled flower shelves and then wondering why the audience is... meh.

Seriously, epic facepalm.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:31 pm 
Ahastar wrote:
Well no wonder the reception was miffed before Primal Rage 2 - they cut out the dinosaurs and replaced them with fighting human worshippers. That is about the same as if you would slice out the cars from the newest version of Gran Turismo, replacing them with wheeled flower shelves and then wondering why the audience is... meh.

People keep thinking that but its not the case. The 7 original Dinos are in it + new ones Named Slashfang, and Necrosan, and The 8 Human Avatars adding up Too 17 Fighters to choose from all together.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primal_Rage_2 wrote:
Primal Rage 2 was a video game that was never released. It was the sequel to the hit game Primal Rage, and Atari was going to produce it. The previous game had garnered so much success that a sequel was likely to come along. The game was to feature new characters that took on the form of humans and were called the Avatars. Another prehistoric fighter which took the form of a Smilodon, Slash Fang (originally called Saber Tooth; he has been around as long as the other gods have, but he never fought for any land), was also planned to appear in the game as well. A boss monster known as Necrosan (what appears to be a living dragon skeleton) which was originally planned for the original game was promised to appear. The original characters were going to remain as well.

The plot centered around in the years after the gods fought again. It turns out the meteor that crashed on Urth was actually an egg and hatches a being known as Necrosan. The gods fight it but their efforts become useless. Necrosan then imprisons them in a state of semi-suspended animation, forms minions of his own and starts to wreak havoc on Urth. The gods then choose human Avatars for themselves that take on a human form. The Avatars fight the minions of Necrosan, release the gods from their prison and battle Necrosan. The warriors would be Xiao Ming, avatar of Slashfang, Malyssa, avatar of Vertigo, Arik, avatar of Sauron, Keena, avatar of Talon, Shank, avatar of Chaos, Sinjin, avatar of Diablo, Kaze, avatar of Blizzard, and Tor, avatar of Armadon.

Much anticipation centered around the upcoming game. Unfortunately, it wasn't the same for the production. The game didn't get very far in production and Atari felt that the game wouldn't generate enough sales. They later announced the cancellation though not many people knew about it. After that, Primal Rage's popularity died down. A supposedly finished machine of this was shown at the California Extreme 2001 show. The machine had the original board and most of the original art.

In recent years, posthumously screen shots have been released on the Internet of what was finished for the game and what was made of the game has also been passed around. Also, the characters of Slash Fang and Necrosan were released with the other god characters in the short-lived Primal Rage action figure series.

Sadly PR2 keeps getting a bad Rap because people are so fast to assume the worst...

EDIT...
And I even have Proof that the Dinos are still in it. just click here, and here, so hopefully we can put that rumor to rest(At least on this forum)...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:57 pm 
Snufftastic Raptor!
Species: Half-Demon Deinonychus
Midyin wrote:
Ahastar wrote:

People keep thinking that but its not the case. The 7 original Dinos are in it + new ones Named Slashfang, and Necrosan, and The 8 Human Avatars adding up Too 17 Fighters to choose from all together.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primal_Rage_2 wrote:
Primal Rage 2 was a video game that was never released. It was the sequel to the hit game Primal Rage, and Atari was going to produce it. The previous game had garnered so much success that a sequel was likely to come along. The game was to feature new characters that took on the form of humans and were called the Avatars. Another prehistoric fighter which took the form of a Smilodon, Slash Fang (originally called Saber Tooth; he has been around as long as the other gods have, but he never fought for any land), was also planned to appear in the game as well. A boss monster known as Necrosan (what appears to be a living dragon skeleton) which was originally planned for the original game was promised to appear. The original characters were going to remain as well.

The plot centered around in the years after the gods fought again. It turns out the meteor that crashed on Urth was actually an egg and hatches a being known as Necrosan. The gods fight it but their efforts become useless. Necrosan then imprisons them in a state of semi-suspended animation, forms minions of his own and starts to wreak havoc on Urth. The gods then choose human Avatars for themselves that take on a human form. The Avatars fight the minions of Necrosan, release the gods from their prison and battle Necrosan. The warriors would be Xiao Ming, avatar of Slashfang, Malyssa, avatar of Vertigo, Arik, avatar of Sauron, Keena, avatar of Talon, Shank, avatar of Chaos, Sinjin, avatar of Diablo, Kaze, avatar of Blizzard, and Tor, avatar of Armadon.

Much anticipation centered around the upcoming game. Unfortunately, it wasn't the same for the production. The game didn't get very far in production and Atari felt that the game wouldn't generate enough sales. They later announced the cancellation though not many people knew about it. After that, Primal Rage's popularity died down. A supposedly finished machine of this was shown at the California Extreme 2001 show. The machine had the original board and most of the original art.

In recent years, posthumously screen shots have been released on the Internet of what was finished for the game and what was made of the game has also been passed around. Also, the characters of Slash Fang and Necrosan were released with the other god characters in the short-lived Primal Rage action figure series.

Sadly PR2 keeps getting a bad Rap because people are so fast to assume the worst...

EDIT...
And I even have Proof that the Dinos are still in it. just click here, and here, so hopefully we can put that rumor to rest(At least on this forum)...

Oh, I am not saying that the game became a total human fighter. But they did a hellaciously bad PR job back then. Literally every press screenshot I came about showed the avatars. You couldn't help but feel the dinos got the bad end of the stick or were almost added as an afterthought. Necrosan and Slashfang were the right direction, but in a dinosaur fighting game, humans have no place whatsoever. Not as an option, not as an upgrade, not as a mod. It is completely watering up the intellectual property and thrill. That entire bad rep PR2 got was completely, utterly house-made by Atari. People played Primal Rage because they wanted to viciously kick the shit out of each other with prehistoric monsters and unleash their animal. If they wanted to play with any human characters, they would have played Street Fighter. Or Tekken. Or Mortal Kombat. I can only assume the developers felt it necessary to have classic human fighters in order to compete with the top of the beat em up-line, and in the process nuked their own idea: Their own fans looking forward to new dinosaur action got turned off by the humans now being in the spotlight, and the genre fans easily found better options to begin with. The result was a dead game.

I am a diehard fan though andabsolutely do want a new Primal Rage. On PS3. In 1080p. With a fatality called "Stampede" that is actually true to its term instead of only being Talon's hatchlings shredding by. 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:21 pm 
Well Personally that's more what I'm going for with the petition myself. Yeah it would be cool to have PR2, but this petition may show Atari that there's still PR fans out here, and they'll hopefully do what any good business would, and try milking the cash cow by putting out a Next-gen Remake of the original, or maybe even a PR3, but the bottom line is Nothings going to happen if we don't do anything to show Atari that we want PR back, so I signed it and now I'm hoping for the best.

Nowadays They seem to be remaking lots of older games. If they think there's money to be made off Primal Rage They'll do it...

I don't care if its for PS3 or X-Box360(though I own the X-box Ill buy a PS3 for this game if I must) I just want Primal Rage..

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:30 pm 
Blue Raptor
Species: anthro raptor
That reminds me... does someone have the sprites / a spritesheet of one of the better Primal Rage characters?
I'm still looking for a some decent sprite to use for some macro game or other...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:51 pm 
Blue wrote:
That reminds me... does someone have the sprites / a spritesheet of one of the better Primal Rage characters?
I'm still looking for a some decent sprite to use for some macro game or other...

I have 4 gifs like the one I'm using as an avatar(Talon, Sauron, Diablo, and virtigo). I don't know if thats any help though, but I have seen a game called M.U.G.E.N with The Primal Rage Characters in it. Its a user made 2D fighting game, so Its full of Characters from other fighting Games, and user made characters....

Click here for videos, and here for google listings

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:57 pm 
Blue Raptor
Species: anthro raptor
Midyin wrote:
I have 4 gifs like the one I'm using as an avatar(Talon, Sauron, Diablo, and virtigo). I don't know if thats any help though,

Not unless standing there and shaking a bit is all you want to be able to do in the game...

Midyin wrote:
but I have seen a game called M.U.G.E.N with The Primal Rage Characters in it. Its a user made 2D fighting game, so Its full of Characters from other fighting Games, and user made characters....

Click here for videos, and here for google listings

I think I recall that, but the wiki didnt seem to have anything but the occassional dead link. I might look into it deeper some day, but usually I find digging like that very annoying because it never got me anywhere so far.
Any sprite sheet of a half way decent furry or scaly would already do you know, and I never found any. And of course I know tons of games myself that I would use the characters of if I had them, and even sites that have spritesheets. But only useless ones.
Its nice news that obviously someone did rip those sprites though. But now I'm tired anyway. :)