Legacy LD5

Forum/Website Through 2017
About Us 
Member Sites 
Faibanx MUCK
Artist Gallery
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Topic Spamming - cut it out!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:44 pm 
Species: Wolf
Diablo wrote:
Topic spamming is getting back up to ridiculous levels again and it's dragging the forums right down to levels of messy depravity beyond anything that a macro herpy foot fetish theme can explain away!

These things are called 'topics' for a reason. If what you have to say isn't related to the topic of the topic, then it's off topic and it doesn't belong in that topic. Get it? There's always going to be some general chat and banter here because LD5 has a small and friendly active community, but at the moment we seem to have great sprawling strings of a dozen or more one-line reply arguments in every other topic, and it's messy, unpleasant, selfish, and thoughtless to the topic creator.

My name is Yakitate and I approve this message!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:59 am 
Species: Rapter
One of the forums I frequent has A "Random Chat thread" in the off topic(Or here it would probably be good in the general discussion aria) for spammers to talk about anything that pops in there heads...

the Mods made it sticky so it can always be found, and lock it everytime it reaches 500 pages(i think), then they just make another one named "Random Chat thread #2"....

it seems to help a lot with keeping people on topic in other threads, and it cuts down on useless thread creation. because if your POed about a game/movie/day at work/school, want to show off your new avatar, Feel the Need to tell people a story about something that you seen in the paper, heard on the radio, or seen on TV, or a story about something that happen to you or a friend of yours, or just want to ask a question.(Because all those above topics don't usualy take long to peter-out) all you have to do is post it in the "Random Chat thread", and help keep the forum clean, and organized..

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:20 am 
Magnificent Bastard
Not every forum needs a specific outlet for discussion that has nothing to do with the general spirit/purpose of the forum.
Keeping our forum clean and organized is as simple and easy as limiting completely off-topic threads to a more generalized website.
We certainly wouldn't want to encourage spamming, now would we?

Sincerely, Regards and Best Wishes,
~ Department of Redundancy Department

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:02 am 
Sprotchymon wrote:
Not every forum needs a specific outlet for discussion that has nothing to do with the general spirit/purpose of the forum.
Keeping our forum clean and organized is as simple and easy as limiting completely off-topic threads to a more generalized website.
We certainly wouldn't want to encourage spamming, now would we?

Sincerely, Regards and Best Wishes,
~ Department of Redundancy Department

Well The “Spammers Thread” Idea wasn't created to “Encourage Spamming”, but was instead created as a way of dealing with it in an organized fashion.

You seem like a smart kid, so I'm sure you know that Trying to snuff-out Spam all together is just the Job for “the Department of Redundancy Department” because its an unwinnable war. There will always be Spammers, Trolls, and the like on the Internet till long after you and I are dead and gone.

The Mods on The forum I mentioned before made “The Random Chat thread” because they knew this fact, and rather then spend all day yelling at forum members, suspending, Banning, arguing with Trolls, ect, ect, ect, and generally wasting time fighting a losing battle They just said “Spams bound to happen, so we ask that it happens here, and not all over the forum.”, and believe it or not it helped...

Keep it brutal...
Midyin..

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:01 pm 
Magnificent Bastard
Midyin wrote:
There will always be Spammers, Trolls, and the like on the Internet till long after you and I are dead and gone. (...) They just said “Spams bound to happen, so we ask that it happens here, and not all over the forum.”, and believe it or not it helped.
Point taken, but in case you haven't noticed, Dino and the crew have done quite a job of keeping them out of our neck of the woods so far. We aren't plagued with spambots, and the closest we have to traditional trolls are a couple folks seen as just a bit too enthusiastic over mini-roleplays and the like.

I believe most any prevention/containment methods against trolls, as would any form of drawing attention to them, work as wind does against fire. It extinguishes the small but strengthens the great. Ours is so small that by refusing to call it out, it almost never surfaces.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:28 pm 
Sprotchymon wrote:
Midyin wrote:
There will always be Spammers, Trolls, and the like on the Internet till long after you and I are dead and gone. (...) They just said “Spams bound to happen, so we ask that it happens here, and not all over the forum.”, and believe it or not it helped.
Point taken, but in case you haven't noticed, Dino and the crew have done quite a job of keeping them out of our neck of the woods so far. We aren't plagued with spambots, and the closest we have to traditional trolls are a couple folks seen as just a bit too enthusiastic over mini-roleplays and the like.

I believe most any prevention/containment methods against trolls, as would any form of drawing attention to them, work as wind does against fire. It extinguishes the small but strengthens the great. Ours is so small that by refusing to call it out, it almost never surfaces.

I'm not saying we need a thread like that here. This place seem pretty orderly. The Mods must run a tight ship..

I just wondered into a Thread about Spam, and mentioned something I've seen work before..

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:06 pm 
Zagnos wrote:
One that I'm one (not gonna say who) has this thing called "The Official Random Thread" as well as another one "Comments On The Person Above You". These, out of the whole forum, are surprisingly enough to keep disputes to a minimum. Recently, however, a dispute among members broke out and hopped/skipped/jumped across the entire forum topics from top-bottom-top. It's over now (finally) but it was a mess. The mods took their sweet ol time to delete a thread that went bad, as well as saying constantly "Unless a forum rule is acutally broken, we needn't close any threads or ban anyone until such happens."

Hmmmm, sounds pretty similar to the forum I was talking about actually. lots of E-thugs.. :|

Hell maybe it is, or Maybe we know each other on another forum by differant Names. one thing I've learned over the years is sometimes The internet is a smaller place then I thought...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:43 am 
Blue Raptor
Species: anthro raptor
Well the difference here is that we are exactly not just any place on the web. And I am very proud of that.
:ld5:
It's a pure-bred furry/scaly/macro/foot-themed bunch of (99% of the time) very mature friends. That doesnt mean there cant be insane headhurting fun, but it usually means there is no kiddie talk, no annoying leet abbreviated chat babbling because the matter and the intended audience clearly are not worth a minute to type properly, and no pointless spam.
If someone doesnt have anything interesting to post or anything to comment on a subject, then they dont post it. Maybe they tell it their life journal or FA friendslist or twitter it, I dont know, but it worked quite well so far and makes this place very enjoyable I think.
I assure you you'll rather end up bored than spammed here anytime soon. :D

It's the best place.
Cheers. :coffee:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:52 am 
Zagnos wrote:
E-thugs? What in the world is that?

An E-thug is a D-bag that thinks talking tough means more then two squirts of piss in the internet like a troll, or flamer that threatens violence if you don't give him his own way...

They are the saddest form of E-life cause they're usually an offline bully that doesn't seem to understand that it doesn't matter if they are 7ft tall and 300lbs of pure muscle offline cause they can't threw there wait around, or intimidate people on the web...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:10 am 
Species: Dracorex
Keyboard warriors lol

Also to make this place perfect it needs a bar :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:57 am 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
Faibanx has a bar. Faibanx has several bars, in fact.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:35 pm 
smexy assassin
Species: anthroraptor
Midyin wrote:
One of the forums I frequent has A "Random Chat thread" in the off topic(Or here it would probably be good in the general discussion aria)

It appears that we now have one of those too....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:36 pm 
Razor wrote:
Midyin wrote:
One of the forums I frequent has A "Random Chat thread" in the off topic(Or here it would probably be good in the general discussion aria)

It appears that we now have one of those too....

Shrugs; Shit happens when you party naked I guess... :lol: