About Us 
Member Sites 
Faibanx MUCK
Artist Gallery
It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eccentricities (and BigFurs) Down Time
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:07 am 
As I write this, Eccentricities has been off line roughly eight hours. The reason it is down is our server got hit with a virus, and a big one. I'm not too clear on the details, but the server admins mentioned something about the virus getting in through the mail server (a vulnerability they are addressing presently).

In any case, I just spoke with the server admins (for both Eccentricities and BigFurs) and they tell me that they are working as fast as they can to get things back up and running again. It is taking extra time because they want to make sure that they get the vulnerability that was responsible for this, thoroughly addressed.

(Sorry to use your space for this, Dino. But as everyone knows, FurAffinity is down, too.)

Post subject: Re: Eccentricities (and BigFurs) Down Time
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:07 am 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
Shit, sorry to hear that. :( I got the impression that the servers were running on Linux boxes, which I never hear viruses attacking, but maybe they were Windows boxes like LD5 uses. If it turns out that any hardware was at fault, I'd be happy to donate some...I've got server-class hardware just sitting around in my garage.

Anyway, server outages suck, so best of luck to the admins!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:24 pm 
I appreciate it, Dino. :) :up: Especially the offer for server parts. And we are in fact, launching plans to move Eccentricities to a new server (one separate from BigFurs). In that move we are going to be enlisting aid--in the forms of technical advice and in the installation of the software and then the move over to the new server. This is something Daryn and I have never done on our own before, so we understandably want to make sure we get it right, and the first time. So any help you could offer Daryn in that department would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and yeah, we are using Windows Server. It is the server software that the BigFurs' admin were using when we located Eccentricities there. Anyway, with your years of Windows Server experience and years of accumulated technical know-how, your help would be a really big help to us. :up: :up: :up:

In any case, we are looking at plans for moving Eccentricities to more powerful server. In addition, we will be going with the same company that we are currently using, just leasing our own separate server from them. The company we are using has had a track record of rock-solid reliability with us.

Thanks a lot, Dino. And thanks, everyone else, for your patience with our downtime. :oops: :up:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:37 pm 
Blue Raptor
Species: anthro raptor
Sorry to hear that Canaan.

You sure can use our just updated 'new' artist gallery too while your page is down, Just tell the ones that dont have one yet to ask Dino for an LD5 ftp and a folder in the gallery, it has a long history of helping folks out with a place on the net.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:25 am 
I appreciate it, Blue. But we're back up and running. We came back up about an hour after I posted this thread. :) As for the move, we hope to accomplish that as seamlessly as possible. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:51 am 
I love footpaws!
Species: Silver western dragon
Well, this is quite scary because some other websites I know that are normally accessible, well... they aren't now. So, I think this virus touches more than a single server. You're not the only one.

At first, I thought it was my Internet connexion, but it is not. That's freaking. I hope it will be back soon.

Also, I love their feet, of course! ^^