Artist Gallery
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Accursed self-reflection!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:34 am 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
So here I was, in a lousy mood. Maybe Blue's nagging about getting more people to come to and/or stick around the Dome got to me, or maybe it's because my own lack of fun macro RP recently just got me grumbly, but I've been thinking how things are going around here. I've been exceedingly lazy when it comes to keeping the fun going here recently. Admittedly, I've been fucked in Real-Life(tm) due to shittiness prevailing at my workplace, but now that the angst has subsided and I'm more accustomed to the role of defeated adversary (and consequently, don't give a flying shit about work for real now), I actually can spend more time on things Domey, but waking up to a slow moving Dome = bleh.

But don't get me wrong. I do fully realize that it's no one's fault but my own. I'm the ringleader of this here circus, and when the ringleader is in the back drinking himself into a stupor, you can't expect that the show will go on as planned. So recently, I got to thinking about the early days of the Dome, what made it great, and how it can be great again.

I used to always say to people that it was because of angst...that the Dome was born out of angst and controversy and people just loved to be a part of the chaos, or in most cases, just watch and enjoy it. I've always been a leader, not a follower, and those who could slog through that ancient Story Bored that was posted could see that even back in the pre-Internet BBS days, I had a DinoCrew(tm) of friends around me to cavort with.

However, it wasn't because I was pissing on the HML or sticking up for people or putting retards in their place that did it. It was just the story. In the same way that reality TV shows or soap operas are popular, so was watching the retarded antics of Dino and company. It's also how friends were made...and, unfortunately, when the shows go off the air, the actors tend to disperse to other venues.

So what defines an "actor"? Well, first of all, you have to actually want to and frequently hang around LD5. I'm kinda sick of having to nag people to show up for work, as it were. As much as I still think they're friends and all...if you have to be nagged frequently to show up, then you're just not part of the DinoCrew(tm). Yes, I'm looking at you, Astor, and if he even still existed, I'd be looking at Helvetica "Foofers" Bold as well. I can't remind you fifty times to show up for the company picnic (e.g. Match Game) even when you haven't shown up for a day of work all year and for three hours pretend like it's the old days when we worked side by side in a garage somewhere starting up the company. I can't start the fun up again around here and write stories with the same people and keep pretending like the old crew is still around. They ain't, and part of what's been holding me back is that I haven't moved on.

And no, this isn't just a personal statement to close friends. This goes for everyone. If I have to hear one more time from Blue about how someone "got their big break" on Lava Dome Five then moved off somewhere else and never even says "hi" on a regular basis to the old homestead...oy! I mean, I'm giving out free webspace and accounts to people who use the space to hyperlink from other friggin' sites! But am I an asshole prick douchebag like the people who run these other sites, and make you either log on to their site just to view content, or prevent cross-site hyperlinking? Naw. I kinda like the title of being best sysadmin on the Internet. And I'm modest, too!

So what's a weesaur to do. Well, there's really only one thing to do, and that's to start having more fun around here and drumming up interest. As much as I can bitch about everyone else, I'm responsible for the low percentages on the Fun-O-Meter(tm) around here, and only by getting off my ass and doing things will that change.

The main way this is going to change is through me engaging everyone in more story-time type activities. Shit, you can go to any artist "rape me, love me" site like FurAffinity to see macro art these days. What's funny is that as much as arr-teests love these sites because they can get worshipped by fans more directly in a venue like that than any other, it also means they're a near worthless commodity to the fandom. It's also why Lava Dome can't simply live by being a place for macro art on the web. No one wants to spend time getting to know an arr-teest at the mom and pop Lava Dome store when they can see more faster and cheaper than at the big Paw-Mart they just built down the street, where you don't even need to have a meaningful conversation with the arr-teest anymore...just drop him a two-line love-you statement to mix in and be diluted with fifty others and you'll keep those sweatshop arr-teests producing. It's win-win! The arr-teest feels like people actually give a shit about him (when they actually don't), and the customers get a quick, efficient shopping experience.

No, what makes this place special is that it's a group of friends who share a virtual reality in the form of retarded stories, so I need to get cracking and write some more. Only problem is, as I've mentioned earlier, the DinoCrew(tm) needs to be re-assembled. With the way people drift in and out, I foresee the DinoCrew(tm) being the Menudo of the Internet, just being made by whoever's new or whoever's still sticking around because they think it's worthwhile. And it's a no-brainer that Match Game is a great time and we need to do more of those, and more things like those. Heck, we could do live audio or even video Match Games if we wanted. Yeah, yeah, I know, scary to see people in real life, blah blah blah, but I think it'd still be worth it.

Of course, not everyone has to be in the limelight. I know for a fact that there are lots of people who hang out here all the time, but they're more the passive types who would rather watch and enjoy the antics of retards. And there's no shame in being Astored, where you sure would like to hang out here more, but For Whatever Reason(tm) you can't. This isn't an Obama call to the nation to get everyone involved. This is a call to those who want to dance on the stage, and honestly, there's not room for everyone. And by the way, if you're thinking to yourself, "Well, do I have to ask to be in a story or something?" Ah, no, you don't have to ask. This still isn't a popularity contest...it's a punctuality contest. Those who hang out and goof off and are frequent visitors will eventually find themselves tangled in the web of intrigue.

So...what, do I put out a casting call, though? Do YOU want to be a member of the new DinoCrew(tm)? Keep in mind all the bitching I just did. :)

And yes, I need to get off my ass and make some new LD5 website stuff, and I need to work on Faibanx 3D, and digitizing my Dinosaucers archives and everything else I've had to do for the past twenty years. I'm even working on macro related missions for Crackton, which is something else we need to start organizing again and play on a regular basis.

I guess overall what I'm saying is that now that the dark times at my workplace are over and I can start goofing off again, I'm going to start stirring up shit again. :waterboat: No, not that! This! :stomp: :ninastomp: :zillaright: :scglobe: :slipper: :munch: :claw: And to make Blue happy, this. :sit:

Oh, you just wait and see how I get even with Blue in prosaic form.

Post subject: Re: Accursed self-reflection!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:25 pm 
Blubber Dragon
Species: Blubber Dragon
Well I know I've been a long-time user of this here forum in its various incarnations. ^^ Hell, I've been around for how many years now? Its certainly been a long time, that's for sure. I doubt if I count as old blood around here or anything, but that may change as time continues to build up. :3

I may not be as active around here as I used to be Back In The Day, but a lot of that stems from the forums themselves being kinda quiet. ^^() Anytime I post things here I figure they're largely ignored. Or just taken over by retards and made into some kind of drama party. But that's the nature of forums these days I suppose.

I too would like to get the old guard going around here, and perhaps re-join the old fun antics. ^^ Could be good for a laugh eh?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:20 pm 
Magnificent Bastard

Gee golly jeepers, you encapsulated my sentiments exactly, and in a far more elaborate manner than I expected. Oh, I do wish I could be a more active contributor rather than merely a lurker... but Final Faibanx (my old pet project of reworking the sprites and script of Final Fantasy 3, for those not in the know) fell apart long ago, as well as my efforts to record cartoons new and old for evidence of big clawed feetzorz... and my doodling capabilities still aren't up to snuff. I feel it wouldn't matter how many pieces I cranked out in a month - the next big thing from RipRoarRex would completely overshadow it. (extended metaphor fnarr fnarr)

Oh sure, I've got story ideas for myself, but I'm dead certain the plots would not be of interest to anyone besides myself, as they complement my more... eccentric aspects. It's not about mature content at all, I just get this extended visualization from time to time and fleshing out this "episode" makes me squeal with joy and even I don't know why...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:40 pm 
Species: Black Ice-Demon Dragon
My, my, the venting/anger/self-disappointment.

But if only I knew more than just posting here.

No.

If only I DID more than just posting here. :(

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:07 am 
Blue Raptor
Species: anthro raptor
Yes, I likely whined a lot about that to the poor Dinosorceror. People always leaving here after they learned that they are not the only one but there are likeminded people on the internet here, learned what furries are, talked for the first time about their feelings, met other furs, learned how to talk on a MUCK, how to post on a forum, how to save an image, how to draw, how to attach a file, what cool sites there are out there, how to download smut via ftp or torrents, got help and comments on their first doodlings, a webspace to host them, and finally grew confident enough for bigger and less innately nice places.
And usually never come back, nor post any of their now great and celebrated macro pawslut pictures that get the crowds cheering on the popular places here anymore, where they started, where people cared when they were small, where they grew up.

And I always saw the main reason in LD5 and Faibanx being not hip.
We are not "cool". You dont get any more praised or cooler when you hang out here, there wont be no poularity of godlike celebrities rubbing off on you by hanging out with them, and noone will think you are the grandmaster of the internets and the furry fandom(tm) because you know your way around here. (Yet a lot of people seem to hope that happens at other places they attend instead)
You dont get funky clickcounts here or forum titles or the permission to put up an even bigger and more flashy advertisment in your signature, nor additional siteranks or cool special icons, and there are no counters for you (and most importantlyothers) to see how many "friends" and watches and viewers and favouriters and fanfags you have.
And that is fucking good that way!
Posting contributions to the internet or to a group of friends is for giving something to them, not for becoming popular.

Yet all that seems to be the way to go these days, be hip on a popular site with a big count of online entities that clicked the friends button to be happy at, or feel cool and superior on a site that you have to be a member of to see stuff and polish your forum rank and added icon because you can feel like you belong to a select cricle.

I also find that I-demand-lots-of-feedback-and-fame-for-my-stuff hype greatly hypocritical. Noone started out as a great artist or ikon of the furdom. Everyone started out small and glancing at other furries' stuff shily, (well at least those that are of mature age, I dont know about the kiddies) and maybe showing around a few doodlings or writings he did to a few friends he made. Everyone started out as someone who didnt give much feedback and lived by the free sites that have free stuff without making you have to register and log in and explain yourself to the admin or whatnot to see stuff.
Well, apart from the very first ones perhaps. That mostly started out here.
And now noone wants to give stuff "for free" like that anymore, never thinking back on how it was such freely available stuff that allowed them to find their way to where they are now.

Sad.

*shrugs*

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:32 am 
Talking Tyrannosaur
Species: Tyrannosaurus
I never saw this place in its heyday, but for as long as I've been here I've always liked the way that it serves as more of a general discussion site than other furry forums/community sites - it doesn't overtly sexualise everything and attract brainless wankers who only want to do that. I might be totally wrong, but I think people who come here are more interested in hanging out with like minded people than seeking out the hottest artwork. Which isn't to say that the art isn't here by any means - just that, unlike other places, LD5 doesn't need it to survive. Faibanx is a perfect example of what I think the strength of this place is: it can be used for super sexy RPing, but more often it's a place for generally playing characters and hanging out and just plain RL chatting.

So hooray! More community-ish things like the Match Game and general activity would be awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:51 pm 
Draconian Warrior
Species: Draconian
Well, first of all congratulations to Dino for being here for us all this time. If it had not been for LD5, I would never have come out of my shell and met new and equally eccentric friends such as myself.

Secondly, I like LD5 just as it is. It doesn't need to compete with the other more flashy websites because in my experience, they're more likely to intimidate newcomers to the fandom with the sheer amount of complexity involved. There are sites out there where members won't even speak to you if you don't have some kind of special talent, (I was recently speaking to someone who has been through this with a very well known website) not to mention the amount of drama that goes on in certain places! These aforementioned members only seem to view the community as one big popularity contest. None of them should ever forget the people who helped make them who they are!

Thirdly, how many websites out there can say that they have featured in Bizarre Magazine? I mean that's a hell of an accomplishment! I read Bizarre magazine a lot, and I really think you deserved first place Dino. Anyway, here's to Lava Dome Five, the best down-to-Earth furry site there is! :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:03 am 
Species: Wolf
Don't worry there, Dino. Us here at the forums are willing to back you up in whatever you do to make this place a cult hit. *chuckles*

On a more realistic note, I enjoy coming here. People actually talk to you and aren't all like 'I'm too busy to talk to that nobody' and such. I just like the friendliness and that community feel we have going on. (Same with the Muck.) I don't know that popularity is necessarily such a good thing anyways. I mean, sure you'll feel nice having tons of people that come here, but what will they truly contribute? Plus it just makes things harder for you, Dino, being the Parental Role Model (TM) for us and making sure to discipline us whenever. XD

Though I don't post a lot here, I do make sure I have something to say when I do post just because I hate spammy things. :P So in essence, I like it the way it is but I'm not saying I wouldn't mind getting more stuff added because more is good in that case.

Also what's this about this site being featured in a magazine?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:18 pm 
Magnificent Bastard
Blue wrote:
You dont get funky clickcounts here or forum titles... nor additional siteranks or cool special icons...
But-but-but I like my title! Also, Each version of the forum prior to the latest had site ranks - post ranks at least... there wasn't a privileges-for-posts system set up like in other forums but the distinctions were there. As for the cool special icons, well you've got that covered already.
Yakitate wrote:
On a more realistic note, I enjoy coming here. People actually talk to you and aren't all like 'I'm too busy to talk to that nobody' and such.

Though I don't post a lot here, I do make sure I have something to say when I do post just because I hate spammy things.
First, I've been around here for years (just barely in the plural there, whatever) and I still consider myself a nobody!

Second, SO VERY MUCH TRUTH. Great minds think alike, yeah?

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:28 am 
Interesting...
Species: Lion!
Well. I'm still here. :whistle:

Seriously though, it's kinda hard for me to have focused discussions at times. I have a wide variety of interests, and fur, paws, scales, macro, etc... those are just some of them. Also, I don't think I'm a very interesting person. I don't have any skeletons in the closet, no secret lovers, no depression- or angst-born adventures to talk about... I'm probably closer to the 'center' than most people. Now, I'm not saying that makes me a better person or anything like that. But it does make interacting with others, those with similar interests, a bit more difficult.

As far as contributing more around here... well, I'd like to! The biggest hurdle I have, though, is time. Between work, exercise, music, and other things going on in real life, there just aren't enough hours in the day to do everything I want.

And... I'm totally not sure what else to say about this. I dunno. I just felt I had to say something about this... I guess. :?

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:23 am 
Self-made mule
Species: hinny
Sprotchymon wrote:
Oh sure, I've got story ideas for myself, but I'm dead certain the plots would not be of interest to anyone besides myself, as they complement my more... eccentric aspects. It's not about mature content at all, I just get this extended visualization from time to time and fleshing out this "episode" makes me squeal with joy and even I don't know why...
Good God! You are a killer, 'Mon! You know when how in FLCL, Mamimi gets all over Canti for a few seconds just out of the blue, and then he asks her why she does that, and she says she'll overflow if she doesn't? And then Canti asks what would that entail, and then she's like, "Well if I didn't... something amazing might happen."
That's what you remind me of.

*waves*
I'm the opposite of SpaceLion.
I've hardly got room for an umbrella in my closet... the skeletons in the way, well mostly I put them there... by that rite I thrive. Here I just don't have to put a spin on it if I don't want to.

I'll talk my head off to whoever, really, if given the chance... I won't put myself down in noting I've got nothing to say... with more and more sites becoming popular like MySpace, Facebook, and now Twitter, it seems like a big trend right now that people value saying less just more times. And with this comes this ability for people to put on such guises — it's hard to know a person (well, any person worth knowing... I categorically know tons of people — assholes) in-general even if you've got contact with them face-to-face, so call me cliché for it, but I yet again find myself going against the grain in thinking online it is harder to have a proper relationship with someone, or be in a proper community, and that said we should be doing more, and not less, unlike the owners of MySpace and Twitter and soforth would have us believe, and muchless there really are some major movers working behind the scenes up there... they get paid.

It's hard to know how to strive for an epitome like "hey, we're fricking real!" and still attract customers, seeing as how the masses of late flock to whimsy and capriciousness over proper assets. I know as well as the rest of you that for plenty of the famed out there, their "people" would abandon them in a heartbeat for the next big thing. It's a pity that some — what am I saying? — 99% of the gladiators we worked to train, support, and allaround do our best to just tolerate while they necroed dead threads and spammed hecka-lots because they didn't know any better, fail to fight under our banner when they start getting a name in the bigger arena. So, while the salt-of-the-Earth Domers do the work, other groups seem to later reap the benefits of our attentions as they come to fruition... not that we should get to keep them all to ourselves, but a little credit would likely go a long way.

On competitiveness — here's the disadvantage of the system we have right now: in an atmosphere like on FA or DA, there are three general types of creature: the fan, the artist, and the inbetween. Fans will always vouche for, plug, and cause drama in the name of their favourites; that's what they do. Artists will produce, and the folks inbetween will either aspire to produce, or settle for the "you-are-the-best-fan" nod from one of their heroes. Inotherwords it's a warzone.
Although ugly and inhumane, a setup like that has good homeostasis; jewels will rise from the fury. (You may ask here if the bad outweighs the good / do the boons repay the bloodshed?)
Here we seem more cooperative/communal, meaning that when we're really going (the Good 'Ole Days ©), everyone feels good, and great stuff can occur, lots is produced, etc. The problem is that when real life gets in the way too much, momentum can get disrupted, and there's no "keep up with the Joneses"-ethic to kick us back into motion; it all relies on us.

So atleast when I bother to bloom (gawd, it's been so long in coming) I'm going to remember what home is, and if I end up at the podium, I'll be like, "Yeah, well I'm Ash Ketchum from little 'ol Pallette town, hoorah!" Anyway you get the idea.
But seriously — aside from self-deprecation — I really want to give something soon, and maybe then go out and score us a few points. Wish me luck.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:41 am 
Blue Raptor
Species: anthro raptor
Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:42 am 
Magnificent Bastard
Patch wrote:
You know when how in FLCL (...) That's what you remind me of.
No... I actually don't. I suppose I would have to be more familiar with the anime, but I still understand the scene. I understand how you would connect that to me in general, but how does it link to that stuff I said?
Patch wrote:
... with more and more sites becoming popular like MySpace, Facebook, and now Twitter, it seems like a big trend right now that people value saying less just more times.
Patch wrote:
Although ugly and inhumane, a setup like that has good homeostasis; jewels will rise from the fury.
Sturgeon's Law: 90% of everything is crap... but the remaining 10% is worth dying for.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:17 am 
Species: Celtic Dragon
You can't get rid of me that easy.
I've been here for 10 years. I'm staying until I get my dang watch.
I wasn't a part of the original crew, but I consider myself old hat.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:29 am 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
I often think about producing LD5 bling...proper pins, or watches would be neat, too. And I mean little metal lapel pins, not those cheezy Fag-a-Minit(tm) buttons. Pens would be good for minions to spread at Khans.