Faibanx MUCK
Artist Gallery
It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2024 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A thought.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:15 pm 
smexy assassin
Species: anthroraptor
I've been thinking. Any one of us here could possibly come into contact with a fellow fan/member of the dome every day and never realize it. I was thinking that we should have some kind of sign or phrase, to which the hypothetical fellow fan/member would reply with a preordained response. I think it's a good idea, but I want to know what everyone else thinks.

Post subject: Re: A thought.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:55 pm 
Draconian Warrior
Species: Draconian
Hey, I like the sound of that! Very cloak and dagger! :)

The only question is, what would the secret code be? ;)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:02 pm 
Species: Wolf
Dinosorcerer... that is all.

Unless you prefer the following scenario:

Fur 1: Hey there guy

Fur 2: Wow, you're in a good mood. You must be gellin.

Fur 1: Like a melon.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:10 pm 
Movie Monster
Species: Anthro Dragon
Unless any of yous is from Minnesota I think I'm outta luck. :) It's rare enough I cross the path of another person let alone... Not that I haven't been suspicious a few times, though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:03 pm 
Blubber Dragon
Species: Blubber Dragon
You might have more luck just bumping into furs in general. I've ran into a few just at random, and generally figured them out just from they way they were dressed, and stuff they had about their person. I'm not sure how likely it would be to just randomly find another dome member. ^^()

And how would you just suddenly launch into a lodge recognition signal without looking like a freak?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:15 am 
Blue Raptor
Species: anthro raptor
Tombfyre wrote:
You might have more luck just bumping into furs in general. I've ran into a few just at random, and generally figured them out just from they way they were dressed, and stuff they had about their person. I'm not sure how likely it would be to just randomly find another dome member. ^^()

And how would you just suddenly launch into a lodge recognition signal without looking like a freak?

Interesting. How did you find that out then? Did you ask, "Are you a furry?"
In general, how would a catch phrase work? Would you tell it to the face of every single person you see anywhere all the time?

To me, that's the same problem. If someone is from LD5, he/she/it is a furry to start with.
And I wouldnt ask someone I give something about if they are furry when I dont want them to know that I am one in case they are not. Because asking if they are a furry is likely to either: have them assume I am one and am looking for others if they know what furries are, or: trigger the question what furries are, which I'd find very awkward to answer.

If someone IS a furry, then there is little potential harm in asking if they are on LD5, and if you are not worried about exposing that you are a furry you can just wear a button with the LD5 logo. Sure holds less potential harm than your average "proud to be a furry" button, while being just as clear to all regular LD5ers.

When I am at a furry convention or local gathering, I always wear my Faibanx button. That already did the trick once or twice.
And is good advertisement. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:50 am 
Blubber Dragon
To non furs however they might wonder about the button. ^^() Or assume you're into fat chicks.

As for the unsure-fur situation, I just struck up a conversation and dropped a few key phrases here and there. Like randomly mentioning that I'd just been at an art convention of sorts down in Chicago, or that I had a good time meeting up with friends at a place downtown at a certain time of night... Which just so happens to be the local furry meet place. :3 After dropping a few hints the guy looked all perplexed for a moment, then started asking me some random questions as well. Then we both figured out that each other was a fur. ^^ Yay. It also helped that I dropped random familiar names from around the area, and he caught on.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:16 am 
Blue Raptor
Tombfyre wrote:
To non furs however they might wonder about the button. ^^() Or assume you're into fat chicks.

At local furry gatherings of course.
Of course I dont wear that button in public in general, for I am way too paranoid somehow who knows me may see me with it and google Faibanx MUCK.
But a mere LD5 logo should not be too dangerous though. Unless you get asked what that is then, of course. :|

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:44 pm 
Blubber Dragon
You could just tell them its the logo for some obscure political party. :3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:22 pm 
smexy assassin
Species: anthroraptor
I was more thinking of something more like what Yakitate suggested, though maybe not so rhymey-cheesy. There are several people I suspect may be fellow fans but I can't think of any way I could confirm that without looking completely stupid or, like Blue said, start up a google search or a series of very awkward questions. Cloak & Dagger, y'know?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:45 pm 
Movie Monster
Species: Anthro Dragon
Kirkpatrick.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:55 pm 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
Anacanafranistan.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:02 pm 
Species: Stallion
this topic is my thoughts everyday. how do you meet another fur like yourself? because its so popular than people might think that im sure i meet others like me al the time but am unaware of it.
although i disagree of the ld5 badges with the foot on though. that would just be awkward (to non furs)
"whats that badge?" "um........"
i recently went to a sex shop that was nowhere near where i lived so i was safe and asked "do you know what a furry is?" and when i explained it, i didnt really know what to say. i just said "its a celebraton of anthromorphic animals" just sounds weird. unless your a fur/scalie, you just wont understand it. thats the bottom line. ther has to be someone near my area thats a fur. ut what if my employer found out? would he like it? who that person undersand? would he sack me cause i had a weird interest (and sometimes sexual interest)
i think the keyword will work out the best. maybe handling out a small pic of the ld5 or fur affinity logo to someone wh you suspect. if they respond in a "wtf!" way, then its not them. but if they hasitate and look amazed, yur onto something.
Tombfyre, im so happy that you ventured out and said some questions about furries to people! thats amazing. i think in my life, i need to be a little it more daring if im going to find someone like me IN REAL LIFE.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:21 pm 
Blue Raptor
That is the Faibanx logo, the LD5 one doesnt have the paw, because it looks like this :ld5:
And I'm only wearing the paw button at furry meetings and in downtown Pittsburgh dammit, for the third time! Sheesh.

When most furries want to meet with other furries irl I suppose they either ask the ones they know online if they live close by or know someone who does, or look in furry userbases, or go to a local furry meeting, or just meet with whoever of their furry friends goes there at a furry convention.
I daresay that is what furry meetings and cons are there for. :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:33 pm 
Species: Black Ice-Demon Dragon
Or.....

There could be some sort of website that stores information about furries in some way that can't be misleading.

Or *achoo*Dinosorcer*cough cough* ;)