Legacy LD5

Forum/Website Through 2017
About Us 
Member Sites 
Faibanx MUCK
Artist Gallery
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: how to train Your Dragon
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:44 am 
Blue Raptor
Species: anthro raptor
Also, Lawrence is both a high ranking* navy officer and a noble to some degree**.
And he and other officers or officials are the ones that did 99% of the talking to the dragon from the day he hatched...

* not (only) in the meaning of bad smell
** as were most officers these days I guess

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:46 am 
Species: Stallion
Diablo wrote:
The Temeraire series is, in my opinion, the most awesome series about dragons ever in the history of the universe. It's set during the Napoleonic wars and is about a naval captain adopting a newly-hatched talking dragon who quickly bloats into a vast and powerful one, and the two of them fly around fighting Napoleon. The best thing about it is that the relationships between the dragons and their captains are almost openly romantic. There's a lot of this:
Quote:
Temeraire snorted and shook his head like a dog, sending water flying, and ducked down beneath his own hastily opened wings, which he curled about himself. Laurence, still tucked up against his side and holding to the harness, found himself also sheltered by the living dome. It was exceedingly strange to be so snug in the heart of a raging storm; he could still see out through the places where the wings did not overlap, and a cool spray came in upon his face.

And this:
Quote:
Temeraire was already asleep, curled neatly about himself, but before Laurence could slip away again, one of his eyes half-opened, and he lifted his wing in instinctive welcome. Laurence had taken a blanket from the stables; he was as warm and comfortable as he could wish, stretched upon the dragon’s broad foreleg.
“Is all well?” Temeraire asked him softly, putting his other foreleg protectively around Laurence, sheltering him more closely against his breast; his wings half-rose, mantling. “Something has distressed you. Shall we not go at once?”

And even some of this:
Quote:
“If you would like to have your ship back,” Temeraire said, “I will let someone else ride me. Not him, because he says things that are not true; but I will not make you stay.”
Laurence stood motionless for a moment, his hands still on Temeraire’s head, with the dragon’s warm breath curling around him. “No, my dear,” he said at last, softly, knowing it was only the truth. “I would rather have you than any ship in the Navy.”

It's every soppy herp's dream, both wet and regular, and I totally recommend it. Peter Jackson has bought the rights to the Temeraire series, which means that hopefully in a few years (if he's not too busy having sex with his GODDAMN giant monkeys) he'll turn them into a movie. BUT the more dragon films that come out in the interim (Eragon and now this damn Viking animation, for instance), the less likely it is ever to happen!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anstallion's reply

yeah the book do sound quite cool i will admit. They sound like there's a proper relationship going on between the two species. heres a link to see the dragon temraire http://www.temeraire.org/wiki/Temeraire ps how old is he?

if you think thats a herpys wet dream (and regular) try Anonymous Rex by eric garcia. its a series of books set in L.A where dinosuars didnt go extinct, they hide in human costumes they made themselves. they run night-clubs and have sex which is even in the books! im sure they talk about their feet a few times as well, but dont quote me on that! Imagine if you knew they exist (and they DIDNT just kill you instantly becuase you found out there secret) how awesome would that be :P

i know what you mean by "that damm viking animation". while there making these child-fiendly-so-we-will-make-lots-of-money books, there missing out on the actual GOOD books they could make into films! but luckly Peter Jackson will make it into a movie. Looking forward to the ten-ies (i.e 2010 onwards) Temeraire and godzilla in 2012!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:45 am 
Blue Raptor
Anstallion wrote:
"that damm viking animation"

I didnt find the dragon in the topic movie that bad. Looks ok-ishly cool and dragon-attitude-y to me.
(and by freaky-3D-ed I didnt mean 3D-glasses effects but... you know things like in Disney movies, like (from the new upcoming Pissney flick Princess and Frog) http://www.disneylicious.com/i_03/dr_fa ... se_502.jpg, http://www.nerdsociety.com/wp-content/u ... e-Frog.jpg or http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/stroller ... esmall.jpg
I know its supposed to be caricatures and I am a quite nitpicky person, but how could someone, or something with a "body" like that possibly even exist? Let alone move, not fall over all the time in the case of the voodoo guy? How can you play a trumpet with no real lips AND teeth sticking out? Plus such abominations also seem to be all made of rubbery clay since they change their shape according to the scene all the time.)

That dragon in the movie trailer looks very fine to me. Reasonably proportioned, decent-looking, credible, not shape-shifting. Very ... existable at the very least.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:51 am 
Blubber Dragon
Species: Blubber Dragon
Blue wrote:
Anstallion wrote:
"that damm viking animation"

I didnt find the dragon in the topic movie that bad. Looks ok-ishly cool and dragon-attitude-y to me.
(and by freaky-3D-ed I didnt mean 3D-glasses effects but... you know things like in Disney movies, like (from the new upcoming Pissney flick Princess and Frog) http://www.disneylicious.com/i_03/dr_fa ... se_502.jpg, http://www.nerdsociety.com/wp-content/u ... e-Frog.jpg or http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/stroller ... esmall.jpg
I know its supposed to be caricatures and I am a quite nitpicky person, but how could someone, or something with a "body" like that possibly even exist? Let alone move, not fall over all the time in the case of the voodoo guy? How can you play a trumpet with no real lips AND teeth sticking out? Plus such abominations also seem to be all made of rubbery clay since they change their shape according to the scene all the time.)

That dragon in the movie trailer looks very fine to me. Reasonably proportioned, decent-looking, credible, not shape-shifting. Very ... existable at the very least.

Well at least the big roundy alligator guy from the princess and the frog looks all cuddly. :D Wideload reptiles of the world, unite!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:56 am 
Blue Raptor
I DID know that you would like him.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:57 am 
Blubber Dragon
Species: Blubber Dragon
Blue wrote:

Who could resist a flabby scaly like that? :3

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:00 pm 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
Oh, bronto-balls to that! People in the 18th century...geez, most couldn't read or write, and you're telling me they all spoke like aristocrats? Soldiers, even? I don't care if they were officers, people are people and they only behave when they have to.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:01 pm 
I thought i was the only one liking the big croc ;) i will rent out the princess and the frog when its out.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:40 pm 
smexy assassin
Species: anthroraptor
But then again there's the good books like Eragon that have movies that are total crap. :x That movie really pissed me off, I wanted to totally go raptassassinate someone on the spot! :evil:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:12 am 
3-Headed Troublemaker
Species: 3-headed dragon
As Nostalgia Critic would say... "big lipped alligator moment". For the jazz trumpet alligator.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:56 pm 
Snufftastic Raptor!
Species: Half-Demon Deinonychus
Diablo wrote:
Anstallion wrote:
Sorry to hear that :( but thanks to you ill look into Temeraire. Ive briefly looked up the book on the internet and it seems to be alot of dragons in the series! do they all talk? i might read the first book in the series once ive finished How To Train A Dragon. ive always wanted to read a book like Temeraire. Can you tell me more about it?

The Temeraire series is, in my opinion, the most awesome series about dragons ever in the history of the universe. It's set during the Napoleonic wars and is about a naval captain adopting a newly-hatched talking dragon who quickly bloats into a vast and powerful one, and the two of them fly around fighting Napoleon. The best thing about it is that the relationships between the dragons and their captains are almost openly romantic. There's a lot of this:
Quote:
Temeraire snorted and shook his head like a dog, sending water flying, and ducked down beneath his own hastily opened wings, which he curled about himself. Laurence, still tucked up against his side and holding to the harness, found himself also sheltered by the living dome. It was exceedingly strange to be so snug in the heart of a raging storm; he could still see out through the places where the wings did not overlap, and a cool spray came in upon his face.

And this:
Quote:
Temeraire was already asleep, curled neatly about himself, but before Laurence could slip away again, one of his eyes half-opened, and he lifted his wing in instinctive welcome. Laurence had taken a blanket from the stables; he was as warm and comfortable as he could wish, stretched upon the dragon’s broad foreleg.
“Is all well?” Temeraire asked him softly, putting his other foreleg protectively around Laurence, sheltering him more closely against his breast; his wings half-rose, mantling. “Something has distressed you. Shall we not go at once?”

And even some of this:
Quote:
“If you would like to have your ship back,” Temeraire said, “I will let someone else ride me. Not him, because he says things that are not true; but I will not make you stay.”
Laurence stood motionless for a moment, his hands still on Temeraire’s head, with the dragon’s warm breath curling around him. “No, my dear,” he said at last, softly, knowing it was only the truth. “I would rather have you than any ship in the Navy.”

It's every soppy herp's dream, both wet and regular, and I totally recommend it. Peter Jackson has bought the rights to the Temeraire series, which means that hopefully in a few years (if he's not too busy having sex with his GODDAMN giant monkeys) he'll turn them into a movie. BUT the more dragon films that come out in the interim (Eragon and now this damn Viking animation, for instance), the less likely it is ever to happen!

Not to mention that lake incident!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:13 pm 
Talking Tyrannosaur
Species: Tyrannosaurus
Ahastar wrote:

... Yes, that too :)

You know these books alarmingly well for someone who has never read any of them!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:09 pm 
Snufftastic Raptor!
Species: Half-Demon Deinonychus
Diablo wrote:
Ahastar wrote:

... Yes, that too :)

You know these books alarmingly well for someone who has never read any of them!

I am a raptor. I know the very flow of the fabric of the universe, and everything that is made.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:01 pm 
just to let you know diablo im going to read Temeraire when my copy comes. im looking forward to it. thanks for the suggestion.

oh and ps if you like really REALLY big lizards, read the book how to train your dragon. i strongly recommend it. i hope they dont fuck it up in the film. theve already messed up some characters in the film (like toothless is a small green dragon, not a big black one. WHY DO FILM MAKERS DO THIS!!! :? )

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:11 pm 
Species: Snow Leopard
Tombfyre wrote:
Blue wrote:

Who could resist a flabby scaly like that? :3

I Cant :D...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next