Legacy LD5

Forum/Website Through 2017
About Us 
Member Sites 
Faibanx MUCK
Artist Gallery
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: how to train Your Dragon
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:37 am 
Talking Tyrannosaur
Species: Tyrannosaurus
Anstallion wrote:
just to let you know diablo im going to read Temeraire when my copy comes. im looking forward to it. thanks for the suggestion.

Fantastic! I really hope you enjoy it, and thanks for the recommendation :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:27 am 
Species: Stallion
no prob ;) ill try to keep you updated on the progress of reading it. once i have read it, ill do an official furry/scaly review (because thats why we read these books :D ) there should be reviews of films and books etc JUST for furries and scalies like us!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:54 am 
Blue Raptor
Species: anthro raptor
Anstallion wrote:
no prob ;) ill try to keep you updated on the progress of reading it. once i have read it, ill do an official furry/scaly review (because thats why we read these books :D ) there should be reviews of films and books etc JUST for furries and scalies like us!

Well I dont see a membersite button under your post... Get yourself some LD5 space from Dino and start a review database. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:12 am 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
If you can E-mail me. MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA :waterboat:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:26 pm 
Blue wrote:
Anstallion wrote:

Well I dont see a membersite button under your post... Get yourself some LD5 space from Dino and start a review database. :)

yeah goddamit your right! its about time i did something! ill send an email to dino now :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:10 pm 
Just to set everyones minds at rest, I have now seen How To Train Your Dragon last night!

If you haven't thought about seeing it yet, theres some big stompin' paws around near the end (a bit like in the book) The giant paw almost crushes several vikings (alomst being the word :devil: grrr) and Hiccup gets pinned down by a monsturus Nightmare with his right paw and hiccup is wiggling around between his toes! Wish that was me, not some teenager (who sounds alot older than he should me thinks!) I must admit, those moments was pretty nice :lol: Its not a bad film actually. Nothing like the book WHATSOEVER! but ok. I recommend it! Even if I only see it again for the few stomps in the film.

Anyone else seen it and know what I mean? Once its out on dvd i could snap shot them using fraps (If I ever get it to work that is :lol: Or youtube, whichever!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:46 pm 
Simply bright!
Species: Albinodragon
Diablo wrote:
Damn, there goes the Temeraire movie for ANOTHER few years!

Peter Jackson is planing to film "The Hobbit" too. Think that he will finish this first before he starts with Temeraire. :cry:
I have to agree with you. Eragon was neat but the Temeraire novels are simply awesome. I don't like the way, dragons are pictured in Eragon. There are some nice moments with Saphira, but most of the time she is nothing more than a flying and speaking "mount".

"When the rider dies, his dragon dies as well!"
That's the point that I hate about this Story. Just Eragon profits from the alliance with Saphira. He starts to look lovelier and learns super cool magical skills. He is able to kill battalions of enemies with a single thought and Saphira would die when he slips and breaks his neck.

I would NEVER accept such a connection to a human being, because it's simply stupid from the perspective of the dragon.

Naomi Novik describes the friendship between the dragons and their captains much better and realistic in my opinion. The deep affection, some touching moments where you simply want to hug the big black guy. The way she shows the world through the eyes of a young dragon makes this series so unique. She pictures dragons as thinking and feeling beings with the ability to learn. Not as mounts for over powered superheros.
Temeraire is the loveliest dragon I know, aside from me of course! 8-)

I think that waiting for a high quality movie is at last better then watching crap! Was so happy when i heard that Pete Jackson got the option for the film. Can't wait to see it! :(

Have to admit that i liked "How to train a dragon." It wasn't just a firework of gags like most other animated movies this days. There was a message in it like in those old Disney films i loved so much when i was young.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:14 am 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
Yes, HTTYDragon was an awesome movie, first one I can actually say, "I liked" in a long time, rather than just "acceptable", "meh" or "turdy." Video game is crap, though, just Mortal Kombat crap, but I pirated the Wii version so I'll poke at it a bit more.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:58 am 
Talking Tyrannosaur
Species: Tyrannosaurus
Yes, I take back all my skepticism and Temeraire-based frustration. How To Train Your Dragon rocks immensely and is hugely enjoyable.

The dragon is sleek and attractive and very pleasingly animalistic - the writers didn't resort to making him communicate with the human kid in any way other than that of a highly intelligent animal. No silly, recognisable human gestures or talking on the dragon's part or degrading babytalk from the human; just a basic mutual understanding and liking for each other that's very believable to watch as it develops.

Find an excuse to see it!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:32 pm 
Snufftastic Raptor!
Species: Half-Demon Deinonychus
It is a beautiful movie that I demand to come out on Blu-ray this very instant.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:22 pm 
smexy assassin
Species: anthroraptor
Indeed, it is very good stuff! My thoughts mirror Diablo's, although I wouldn't have gotten my point across as well. There weren't all that many stompy parts except at the end, but I greatly enjoyed the way Toothless was just so feral and lithe and intelligent without being ridiculous. I couldn't help but notice a few points where he opened his wings too fast, which would have seriously messed some things up, but merely halted his plummet. Some graphics designers need some lessons in physics for that. Aside from that one little hiccup (no pun intended), it was a great movie with a decent plot, a midieval theme, and smexy dragons all rolled into one. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:28 pm 
Yo sorry for the LAAAAATE post! Man, ive been quite busy recently. And I started the tpic as well :lol:
I'm suprised at how many people lie it! I thought it would just be another kiddy dragon movie (which it is) but it's better than that :)

Yeah I could imagine the game being abit crappy, but I like the fact you can customise your dragon. Wonder what the fightings like. Canyou step on your enemies hehe! How the hell do you play it on the wii!! I wanna see how that works!

Diablo and Larc. couldnt agree more! One of my favorite scenes was when Hiccup was drawing in the grass and Toothless joined in too. then toothless srt of made Hiccup go around then maze before meeting him at the end. Like a test. Beautiful.
Yeah the relationship is much more realistic than Eragons. If I die, you die too. Sorry but sod that :lol: But I suppose things would be different if you had a connection like that.

The naming of toothless was lazy though. "oh you have no teeth. Oh, yes you do!" then that's it was abit lazy to be honest.

Razor: your right there werent alot but they were good and Ill be watching them again when it comes out on dvd, which links me nicely to Ahastar's reply I can't wait for the dvd either! But I don't have a blu ray boo!

And yes, the dragon was cute and smexy ;)

I dont think there will be a sequel. they could, but it would still be nothing like How To Be a Pirate! they had changed the plot so much!

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:01 pm 
Snufftastic Raptor!
Species: Half-Demon Deinonychus
Anstallion wrote:
Yo sorry for the LAAAAATE post! Man, ive been quite busy recently. And I started the tpic as well :lol:
I'm suprised at how many people lie it! I thought it would just be another kiddy dragon movie (which it is) but it's better than that :)

Yeah I could imagine the game being abit crappy, but I like the fact you can customise your dragon. Wonder what the fightings like. Canyou step on your enemies hehe! How the hell do you play it on the wii!! I wanna see how that works!

Diablo and Larc. couldnt agree more! One of my favorite scenes was when Hiccup was drawing in the grass and Toothless joined in too. then toothless srt of made Hiccup go around then maze before meeting him at the end. Like a test. Beautiful.
Yeah the relationship is much more realistic than Eragons. If I die, you die too. Sorry but sod that :lol: But I suppose things would be different if you had a connection like that.

The naming of toothless was lazy though. "oh you have no teeth. Oh, yes you do!" then that's it was abit lazy to be honest.

Razor: your right there werent alot but they were good and Ill be watching them again when it comes out on dvd, which links me nicely to Ahastar's reply I can't wait for the dvd either! But I don't have a blu ray boo!

And yes, the dragon was cute and smexy ;)

I dont think there will be a sequel. they could, but it would still be nothing like How To Be a Pirate! they had changed the plot so much!

Actually, the sequel has already been announced for 2013. As has a live action show. As has a TV series.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:06 pm 
I love footpaws!
Species: Silver western dragon
Yeah, there will have a sequel to that movie. :D

But before, sorry for being late and silent. :worried: How did I ignore that post?

Yeah, I obviously saw the movie a few weeks ago in full 3D and I truly loved it. Everything was very nice. Friendship, love, some humour, some actions... all that mixed into great story. The way Toothless was communicating with Hiccup by doing facial expressions was great! And he was so cute at some times! :lol: There was also a few dragon feet stomps. :P

But I didn't know it was based on books. Perhaps I should give them a try? Because seriously, I REALLY SHOULD read more. I have started reading Eragon, but not much and I even did see the movie. What a shame! :squint: And now, you're talking about the Temeraire series. I didn't heard about it but it looks great! :)

About the "connecting" or "linking" thing about a dragon and a human being, that idea isn't new. It started back into DragonHeart movie. Remember? It was then used into "Drakan" video game series and now, in Eragon. I have nothing "against" that, really. It boosts their friendship together, causing them to watch carefully to each other and stay close. In can also bring some dramatical thing like in DragonHeart. I do agree however, that it may sound stupid for a dragon to die easily because of a weak and frail human, meaning that the dragon have to "watch" for the human like a mother would do on her baby... :| So, yeah, I'm kinda fifty-fifty...

Dragons FTW!!!

Also, I love their feet, of course! ^^

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:08 pm 
Species: Dragon
I just watched the movie "How to train your dragon" and as you might realize I'm a dragon enthusiast, borderline fanatic.
When I was going into the cinema I thought it would be one of those movies you go see just casue your 10 year old brother REALLY
wants to see it.
This movie was deffinely made for kids but it did not resort to very many of the usual "pathetic jokes" and scenes small kids laugh at.
if you ignore the parts which were directed towards children this was a really great movie
especially when you see the friendhip between toothless and hiccup form and develop as the movie progresses.
One thing they got right in this movie is that the dragons don't speak at all but only express themselves via facial expressions and body language the animators really did a job well done here.
The visual effect were nothing but stunning, and I actually got the feeling of vertigo when Toothless did that dive, watching it in IMAX 3D is a must. Again, credit to the animators.
I generally don't like message movies but this one conveyed it in such a sense I did not realize it untill the movie had ended.
The message being that you should learn about your enemies before waging war with them.

To sum up:
This was a really good movie and even though it was made for kids I greatly enjoyed watching it,
I would strongly recommend i.

On a side note:
There were quite a few stomp scenes in this movie, the only problem is that the paws are not very "realistic" but looked more like those cartoonish things you see in digimon or something. Not movies seems to get it just right...

here are two videos:
vid1:
Here's the scene in which toothless pins hiccup to the ground and roars in his face.
http://www.mediafire.com/?my4kgzonwez

vid2:
this is probably my favourite scene in the entire movie. It really shows toothless and hiccup for the first time truly baunding together on a deeper level.
http://www.mediafire.com/?emdtzlm2woj

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next