Legacy LD5

Forum/Website Through 2017
About Us 
Member Sites 
Faibanx MUCK
Artist Gallery
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eccentricities Down (09-21-08)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:04 pm 
Last night (9-21-08) the server began exhibiting MySQL errors. Further investigation into the MySQL errors, however, revealed that the hard drive was malfunctioning and was on the verge of complete failure.

Following this discovery, the technicians overseeing the server, shut down the server and got in contact with us. Xipher--one of the administrators at Bigfurs--took the problem in hand, and he reported that all of the data from the failing hard drive was recoverable. When I last spoke with him, he was preparing to make the recovery. The technicians, after Xipher recovers all of the data from the hard drive, were planning--when last we spoke with them while I was online with Xipher--to replace the failing hard drive with a new one, removing the failing one to the "slave" position first, so Xipher could conduct the recovery.

We are looking at a possible 12- to 24-hours of further downtime for Eccentricities. We are projecting no data loss, however, and when the server does come back up, it will be restored to the moment that it was taken down. We are confident that no one's posts, uploads or other data will be lost. We are projecting a full recovery. Either way, we should be up by no later than this time tomorrow (approximately 4:00am PDT).

Thanks for your patience, everybody.

Post subject: Re: Eccentricities Down (09-21-08)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:57 pm 
Self-made mule
Species: hinny
Barefootstallion wrote:
...Xipher--one of the administrators at Bigfurs--took the problem in hand...
^^Wordplay.

'Hope crap gets teh repairzor'd, C.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:15 pm 
Species: Black Ice-Demon Dragon
Sweet.

But why did it malfunction?

I smell something malicious....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:55 pm 
Species: Snow Leopard
that means ld5 will be more active maybe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:11 pm 
Magnificent Bastard
Well, seeing as this isn't the first time ol' Canaan* has used Da Dome as a mirror for his newsposts in times of need, so while there may be a brief surge in guests viewing this particular topic (sometimes such stats are visible, others can only be accessed by administrators and related codejunkies... it depends on the forum software), don't expect much other than that.

In any case, it's a great relief you caught it early. Peculiar way to give warning signs, but it could serve as evidence that servers are people too! ...Sort of.

*If I got you mixed up with some other horse-dude, you have my sincerest apologies.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:10 am 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
Best of luck with the restore, Canaan.