Faibanx MUCK
Artist Gallery
It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anthrocon 2009
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:56 pm 
Blue Raptor
Species: anthro raptor
So, since again quite a lot of LD5 folks seem to be planning on going next year, some of them for the first time, I thought I'd make a forum topic for that, so this time info for coordination will be up long in advance.

OK, to get those dumb questions out of the way that usually spam every attempt like this I made:

What is anthrocon?
Its a furry convention. That means lots of furries meet there. Estimated 3500 to 4000 next time.

When is ... ?
July 2nd to 5th.

Where ...
Pittsburgh. Westin Hotel and David L. Lawrence Convention Center.

Will I enjoy it?
I have no idea. But way over 3000 furries do. Read about it and find out.

That said, I will once again try to come to AC in 2009, most likely taking a break from ForCon next year as it will still be in that rather sucky place where the management doesnt really seem to like it and where there is nothing around in cold-California-pissy-January-weather walking distance.
I'll be staying then at least from Wednesday (July 1st) to Monday (July 6th), as anything less doesnt make sense for me.

Post subject: Re: Anthrocon 2009
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:11 pm 
Species: Wolf
Darn, I didn't know that's when it'd be. Why can't they keep a consistent week? That means I'll be missing 4th of July with my family. Guess I'll have to buy fireworks down there I suppose and /not/ pop them since you can't technically do it in city limits... or your hotel room. Remember, kids, it's not illegal unless you're caught. <.< >.>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:49 am 
~MOO~
Species: MiniMinotaur
Thanks for all that, Blue! I'll be sure to network with the furs I know, and get us out there! <Not that a certain fur is giving me a choice... ^.^>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:18 pm 
Blue Raptor
So, coming to the important point of it...
Who will be rooming with me?
And, as I just decided while having the worst cold I ever had, despite all the attempts I made to not get one this time, after having had last anthrocon (my first) ruined from it already, a strict and undiscussable requirement will be NO AIR CONDITIONING in the room. Ever. Period.
It is NOT too warm in a room on the shadow side of the Westin, and doubtlessly so in one in the thick-walled Omni or mostly shadowed off other hotels around. I've been there to enter the room first of us. At afternoon. With no AC on. If I would have wanted it any cooler I could just have opened a window. "But without AC I believe it is too warm" or "Without the constant hum I cant sleep" are not valid reasons to have the artificially dry and germ-ladden air of 3400 people in a hotel filled to three times its capacity constantly revolved all over you, and especially over me, 24/7. At least while I sleep and cant constantly drink I'd like to be able to take a break from that.

So, anybody wanting to room Wed to Mon (or longer) with a ranting raptor (believe me, I'll be much more nice to be around when I dont have a cold ruining my con fun) and not thinking that 20C is way too hot even with the american way of only wearing t-shirt and shorts and drinking nothing but ice with the occassional fluid in between, please tell me!
(Europeans perhaps? ... )

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:38 pm 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
Wow...bitter much, Blue? :) I know you won't ever be rooming with me, 'cause I want it to be sub-arctic. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:20 am 
Species: (Prefers the name Scalie) Dragon
I have actually took into consideration attending Anthrocon, but with things as they are for me, travel expenses, Room booking, Maybe a taxi to actually get me there and a little bit of money to spend... doesn't really seem to add up to enough, unless i get a job soon, in which case the tides may turn.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:22 am 
Blue Raptor
Ok, for those who are pondering this cash thing...

Here's a little list of what you can go with.
Shuttle from the airport to the street corner next to the con hotel: $2.60
  (goes every 20 to 30 minutes)
Room at the con hotel for four nights devided by four persons: $130 with taxes included
  (there's about a dozen hotels in walking distance, you can get cheaper than that)
actual convention attendance fee: $40 preregistered
  ($45 or 50 at worst otherwise for registration at the con site)
two bagels ($1.49 each) + milk + orange juice at Bruegger's Bagel Bakery beneath the Omni Penn hotel: $6.40something
huge meat and eggs breakfast plate at the Steel City Diner: $7.something to 8.something
Anthrocon special 6" sub + free refill drink + chips at Fernando's: $5.00
20oz (.591 liter) cold beverage at the Quik-E Mart: $1.57
big mug of coffee at the Steel City Diner: $1.07
Cold water at the con hotel: $0.00
one-dollar-badge by Gideon: $1.00
average smut cd, t-shirt or sketch commission: $20.00
meeting thousands of other insane furries: priceless. (sorry Mastercard, couldnt resist. )
:scglobe:
That should help a bit I hope.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:33 pm 
Species: Wolf
Hey, Blue, you forgot, making ambiguious sexual gestures towards your roomie to find out he's not gay... priceless. *chuckles*

Anyways, I hope to go this next year and make this my first con ever. Not sure I like the idea of no AC. How will I ever get rid of the heat? I like to sleep in a cool environment otherwise I'm miserable. But then again I supposedly already have roommates lined up for me next year. I just hope to see as many LD5 members as I can down there and chat up a storm and have so much fun. Planning early would probably be the best choice. My only concern with the upcoming con (as well as annoyance) is that they decided to have it over the 4th of July which means I'll miss having that with my family. *sighs*

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:01 am 
Species: (Prefers the name Scalie) Dragon
Oh goodies, the Pound Sterling does some good after all.
That will knock the number down by at least a half, still- gotta find a Job and all that.

... i don't even know where my passport is, it probably needs renewing anyway.

But i should, most likely be able to get 2010's one booked... maybe.