Member Sites 
Faibanx MUCK
Artist Gallery
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Elite: Dangerous
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:17 pm 
Species: Wolf-Raptor Hybrid
Anyone else out there doing the Elite: Dangerous beta? Me and Dino are in it. Speak up and maybe we can play together some?

Post subject: Re: Elite: Dangerous
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:18 pm 
Magnificent Bastard
Ah, the beta is $75 now. That's... more reasonable than $150 I guess? But I was considering the purchase of a fancy (well, fancier) flightstick...

I am hyped for this game, don't get me wrong. Considering all the hours I put into Oolite, the plunge would be quite justified. It's... complicated.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:10 am 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
Well, I really have a huge chip on my shoulder about the head of Frontier Developments and the co-creator of Elite, but I shelled out $75 for instant beta access (but you can pre-buy the game $50 and then have to wait to play), and I also shelled out another wad before the time expired to get that forever access to all the expansions.

Well, after playing it about 3 times, I have to say the guy can still manage a dev team to make a worthy sequel. :) It has a great feel and look and is totally worthy as a "sequel" of sorts. I put money into Star Citizen and that game is really looking and feeling nice too, but...Elite is more my kind of game. As much as it's trying to be changed, it's still a game for loners who don't need a storyline. Star Citizen, being the descendant of Wing Commander, is more a game for someone who wants to be part of a larger story. That's okay, but I'm pretty spoiled and I like being just dumped in an open world so I can do what I want. :) But the SC beta is really gorgeous too and plays well.

Now, if only Crackton 2 had progress...SIGH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:56 am 
Species: Tuatara
Sooo, basically you pay -extra- for an already overpriced game for a 'chance' to provide them with free tester work. -. .-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:43 am 
Magnificent Bastard
Wow, rude.

This project is staffed and supported by long-time fans of the series. Of course some folks will jump at the chance - nay, the privilege! - to not only participate in the game early, but help make it a better experience for all those who join in at a later time.

Think of all the other game projects on Kickstarter. It's easy to find individual pledges of hundreds or even thousands of dollars. Their passion matches those of the developers, most likely extending beyond logic and reason. Clever devs honor this with blending backer-made content into the game itself.

Would you view Duncan and Macroceli with the same derision, for paying to get their own characters into Kaiju Combat?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:43 pm 
Movie Monster
Species: Anthro Dragon
Sprotchymon wrote:
Wow, rude.
Would you view Duncan and Macroceli with the same derision, for paying to get their own characters into Kaiju Combat?

Yes. :whistle:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:21 am 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
OH SNAP :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:22 am 
Blue Raptor
Species: anthro raptor
Selendro wrote:
Sprotchymon wrote:
Wow, rude.

Yes. :whistle:

Hehe. Yes. :angel:

I still want to look into that Elite thing one day! Or month. Or year.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:03 am 
Magnificent Bastard
I caved and bought the game + beta access on the 28th. Had a bit of fun in the training missions, then switched to open play and spawned outside a station. I docked successfully without using directional thrust, as I had no idea that was a thing. Three days later they jump from v1.06 to 2.0 (now 2.04), bringing lots of improvements - mostly in regards to earning credits. So I had to download a new installer and client all over again. The wait was agonizing.

"Welcome back, Commander Sprotchy- er... Commander Pixelpants."

spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:50 am 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
I know I'm still not really embracing all the game has. It's intimidating to me! All I've been quietly doing is making pussy trades, and after a couple hours of playing I got like 20,000 credits. Enough to buy a ship, but of course none are available where I am. :) I do enjoy the game, but damn. I just get the feeling I suck really really bad at it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:31 pm 
Magnificent Bastard
I understand. Space is pretty darn big, after all. I'm still in the freebie Sidey, but I've managed to purchase and maintain (that is, not get blowed up immediately afterwards) a few weapons and systems upgrades. I have yet to figure out how cannons work though. Not the aiming and shooting part, I mean the part where I can't shoot even though I clearly have ammo left and am not overheating.

Here's a collection of all-purpose starter tips I've found, but by all means elaborate on where you'd specifically like to improve!
  • You get back almost all your spent money from upgrades when you sell the hull, so upgrade any time you can.
  • Don't scan unknown planets/stars once they've been revealed by your Basic Discovery Scanner, there's a bug that reduces the payout from Universal Cartographics after you identify scan them. Just turn them in as unknown, you make a lot more dough. Unless it's specifically an "Earth-like planet", those still work as intended.
  • Find a pair of systems in an ideological conflict with 2 stations in each system. Hopping between them, you can easily make 30-50K each leg from propaganda alone + 30-70k in hauling if you're in a Cobra (5-10 in an eagle).
  • If you're lucky you can find a pair of such systems where they each produce things the other wants and then it's 130+ K a round trip in a cobra (75K+ or so in an Eagle)
  • If you're REALLY lucky you can find a "Resupply" mission for a commodity sold in that station's market.
  • "Kill civvies" contracts are OK in the starter space but you can make more money faster if you get out of there. Idle at the nav beacon in the target system and shoot ships with Wanted status.
  • Upgrade power distribution, then weapons, then power plant, then basic reinforced armor, then shields. Upgrade cargo whenever you can. Don't sell your Basic Discovery Scanner.
  • Remember you can turn off your 8-10% of power plant draw cargo door and it affects nothing but dumping goods.
  • If you want to use cargo/warrant scanners you need to buy expensive ones as they have better range and speed.
  • In an eagle you can't really use all 3 weapon slots till you upgrade power distribution, once you do, use all 3 as the same thing. Multicannon or burst lasers best here.
  • In a cobra, your upper and lower weapons racks don't share a tight convergence point for targeting, use weapons that can operate independently there. That means in the C1s put missiles or (seeming to be quite good right now) turrets. In the C2s you need weapons good enough that you can count on them.
  • Overcharged/High impact multicannons are probably the entry-level "OK" guns. Cannons/Railguns/high-quality burst lasers are where I expect you need to end up.
  • Low Heat lasers make a huge difference in how many shots you can get off so anytime you are equipping lasers, seriously consider using the low heat versions.

One last thing that I only confirmed just recently, that really takes a load off my mind. When being scanned by a spaceport or the orbiting GalCops, they don't care if your cargo is stolen, only if it's contraband. This really helps considering all cargo not either purchased by you or given to you for a hauling mission is considered "stolen."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:01 pm 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
...damn. Just reading that checklist of advice. Um, I haven't like...gone more than 4 systems away from where I started.

Wow.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be an eterna-noob. :(

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:28 pm 
Magnificent Bastard
That's fine, Beta 3 drops in 10 days and then everyone can be a noob all over again.

Also a correction to that last point. You will not be fired upon by GalCops or stations for smuggling, only fined. Fines turn into bounties after 24 real-time hours and can safely be ignored for the most part. Don't panic and dump your cargo in the middle of such a scan - you'll be fined for littering.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:04 am 
Species: Wolf-Raptor Hybrid
Dinosorceror wrote:
...damn. Just reading that checklist of advice. Um, I haven't like...gone more than 4 systems away from where I started.

Wow.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be an eterna-noob. :(

You should come join me in Alliance space and we can do awesome faction stuff for great glory! :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:47 am 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Yeah, but with me not having a job, I just haven't been in an Elite mood, I'm afraid. I'd love to do some co-op missions with you someday soon, though!