Faibanx MUCK
Artist Gallery
It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 5:58 pm

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Utilitarian macro usage.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:07 am 
Blubber Dragon
Species: Blubber Dragon
Ever wondered what use a giant would be in reality? We all need to work for a living, even if you're some multi-hundred foot lizard or some-such. ^^ The usual ideas come to mind, such as hiring giants to help with construction, large-scale landscaping, or even demolition of unwanted structures. But what else could we do?

I think Transportation would be a good business for any giant. :3 I'm also the inflatable sort, so with enough helium I betcha I could be the worlds largest self propelled cargo blimp. Just point me in the right direction, and I'll flap my way there with any load you need! ^__^ The non stretchy could just walk places with a few shipping containers in their paws, or some such. Just got to be careful delivering in the city. One doesn't want to smoosh their place of employment. The little people tend to frown on such actions.

The size shifters among us would have a very easy time of it I might think. Be normal sized when required so they can live in standard housing and whatnot, but get big on the job to do what's needed. Hell, I've lost count of the times where I thought being all size-shifty in reality would help at work. Screw a fork lift! Just get big and snatch things off the highest shelves. :3

Discuss!

Post subject: Re: Utilitarian macro usage.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:34 pm 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
I think the size shifting is the key. Otherwise, you'd really have to just live in a world of giants alla time and only work in the "regular" sized world, it's just not built for you.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:04 pm 
Blue Raptor
Species: anthro raptor
Well I guess I am too much pondering (or dreaming of) how and where macros would do their businesses of everyday life, you know, to think about what they would do for a living.
But then again I dont think they would fit in (ha ha) in a way that they could have normal dayjobs and buy a farm full of cattle for dinner form their earnings, with everyone just letting them be and hoping they never ever ever have a bad day. :lionstomp:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:11 pm 
Species: Dragon
Well, few things come to mind right away. Heavy Construction, like in Rogue's Komatsu stories for instance, also in shipbuilding, civil engineering and the like I imagine too, but there are others also. Ocean Rescue: especially at sea a giant dragon would be incredibly useful, even non-fliers could be invaluable in shallow waters. Wilderness Firefighting: Even if they weren't fireproof like some dragons, their size would make them extremely resistant to the fire itself, and be able to clear firebreaks quickly and bring in water far more safely then planes and helicopters. Weather and storm disasters: Someone who could bring in and deploy sandbags dozens or hundreds of tons at a time, and help provide safe harbor with his or her body alone could save a lot of lives. Also he or she could bring in heavy supplies where a destroyed infrastructure would make it imposable with anything other then air drops. Nuclear Disasters: Their mass and thick skin would give them slightly protection against moderate levels of radiation.

It could go to less 'worthy' causes too: heavy equipment, personal could be brought in over little more then a path for the oil and logging industry.

- Talos

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:14 pm 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Wow, it's almost as if you've given this a lot of thought, megatoes. :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:16 pm 
Blubber Dragon
Aye Talos, all very good ideas there. ^^ Us big'uns have plenty of uses!

Yeah Blue, food would be an interesting prospect for 'em. Again, the size shifting aspect would be key. So you could eat normal sized meals and all that. ^^()

Heh, what's wrong with living in a world full of giants Dino? ;)

And as for you Ragnos... I don't rampage through cities, so I have no idea why anyone would send you my way for advice. ^^()

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:27 pm 
Species: Dragon
Well, the important thing about what I mention above is that they would probably actually be worth all the food requirements, *peers at blue* and construction of their own personal waste treatment plant ;), Because, there really isn't a machine that could simply just do the job with a tank of gas. Helicopters can only lift so much weight and generaly require fair weather. Heavy lifting planes require long, well maintained runways. Trucks and cranes don't really work that well off of roads, even the 4x4 ones. Ships and barges don't work that well in shallow and stormy waters. And nothing thats good at ALL of these things.. so, it might just be valuable enough.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:28 pm 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Nothing at all, Tomby! I love living in a world of giants. :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:30 pm 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
And I agree, I think it would be definitely worth the food consumption...and slipper usage.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:19 pm 
Species: Black Ice-Demon Dragon
I feel like writing a persuasive essay right about now. :P

But what else would occupy a macro's time? Some fun? A life? More knowledge? *phew* reality is tough.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:32 pm 
Blue Raptor
Species: anthro raptor
Bathroom businesses of course. *winks at Talos who of course got it right* :whistle:

(Oh no! He's clogged the treatment plant again!)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:07 pm 
Blubber Dragon
Yeah, having a living creature tends to beat any sort of vehicle or transport method. ^^ Giants can do it all! And having a lot of them around is always a great thing in my books. Giant cuddly macro pile for off-duty activities. :3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:07 pm 
Species: Celtic Dragon
I would be big all the time, so I would not be asked to work very often.
And it would make normal sized things smaller, and easier to deal with.

So it's a double plus.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:19 pm 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Wow, that means I am ridiculously easy to deal with.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:04 pm 
Species: Black Ice-Demon Dragon
Dinosorceror wrote:
Wow, that means I am ridiculously easy to deal with.

Of course you are. You provide everyone with your comfort and pleasure. :lol: