Faibanx MUCK
Artist Gallery
It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Forum Etiquette
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:23 pm 
Blubber Dragon
Species: Blubber Dragon
Just some helpful suggestions for both new poster and old fellow alike, to help you get by in a more pleasant manner on your day to day forum browsing. :)

1. Don't flood.
I've noticed over the years that flooding a forum or thread with posts tends to annoy the majority of forum dwellers. I've always thought it a good idea to take a moment and let others have the opportunity to respond to posts after you've made comments, and not be eager to always be first out the door racking up post counts for some odd reason. They really don't mean anything. ^^

2. Type coherently.
Spelling and grammar are important when communicating via text as we do over Forums. As are sentence structure, syntax, capitalization, punctuation, etc. You'll have less trouble with people understanding what you're trying to say if you take the time to type it out in a smooth and flowing manner. Remember, there's always time to spell check, and review your own post before clicking the "POST" button.

3. Don't Flame/Troll.
Seriously, just don't do that.

4. Don't hijack threads.
This tends to fall into the flooding category too. If a thread is about a certain topic, don't change the subject and go nuts with your own. That's just rude. Make your own topic if you must.

5. No thread necromancy.
If a thread has been inactive for some time, just leave it alone. New posts in old threads tend to bump them to the top of the list, and this can cause some people to think they're new posts entirely with new media or information. This usually leads to annoyance when they find its some thread from last year. The only exception is threads that are meant to be added to constantly, like media findings and the like.

6. No pointless threads.
Think about the threads you're making. If you just made a post in one sub-forum, don't make a duplicate post in another sub forum. You really don't need to do such a thing, and the extra attention you might receive will most likely be negative. This includes new threads to draw attention to old threads, or current threads. They really serve no need, and will likely be deleted.

7. Stay on topic.
If a forum is for a specific topic, then stay to that topic within the forum. If you have a post to make of the off-topic nature, put it in the off-topic forum. Most forums have one of these. :)

That's about all I can think of right now. And just to be clear, I'm not trying to be snarky, or attack anyone with this thread. I just felt it would be helpful words of wisdom from an age old forum dweller. After all, I've been around here forever it seems, through its various incarnations. :)

Happy posting!

Post subject: Re: Forum Etiquette
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:31 pm 
Species: Snow Leopard
Thank you for your wise word's Tombfyre I know that I'll keep that in mind. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:47 pm 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
Can I just add? No necromancy, period. That Bloodstorm just ain't right.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:52 pm 
Blubber Dragon
Species: Blubber Dragon
Aye Dino, Necromancy is bad, mmm'kay? No raising the dead. Or old threads. :3