Member Sites 
Faibanx MUCK
Artist Gallery
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Slipperlife - a Slipper Time Strategy game
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:51 am 
Species: Snow Leopard
Hell I cant even download it for somereason my browsers are not working.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:03 am 
Blue Raptor
Species: anthro raptor
Tombfyre wrote:
Each time its gone negative on me, it has been at least 30-40 turns into the game. And each turn or so it gives that error, gives you the option to abort or ignore, and goes on. The negative index continues to drop however, and keeps making that error. But its yet to crash the game or anything.

Still not able to get the bug again and point my finger to it, but I've also been a bit busy.
Probably its something that only happens when you are inefficient, and thus it cant happen to me. ;)

I put up a version that has debug info on the waiting queue changes in it (and also a few more building sprites and placeholders).
Switching to Game Maker 7 didnt bring any of the desired changes though, it still cant count to two when upsizing by 200%, still having some pixels turn out 3 and others 1 pixels wide, and it still has some of the minor glitches like disabling Escape = exit game also disabling the close-window button and such, but at least it seems to blur a bit less.
Either way, if you get the negative waiting people again and do a screen shot of it (when it first happens) that would be cool.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:47 am 
Species: Anthro Dragon
well. it's not quite you were looking for, but I just somehow hit negative 3 sand, as I built my 3rd fireplace with the last of the sand on the map. As a result, I'm too low on sand to even build things that require 0 to make. so I guess this run is over = p

Attachments:
File comment: after building the 3rd fireplace, I noticed it's icon was messed up, then looked up at my sand, which went from 3, to -3 at some point when I made it
negative sand.JPG
negative sand.JPG [ 57.55 KiB | Viewed 3229 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:45 pm 
Blue Raptor
That's an impressive town you've built there Zelitor. Just wait and see if you can get that done in the real game when its finished. :D

The bug occuring only later in the game and this new thing that clearly works fine on itself but here seems to have withdrawn the ressources for it TWICE, the most reasonable explaination for being that it was created twice (and lo and behold, it has a construction site overlapping the finished fire I see now) lead me to belive the problem was synch issue between the step code of objects exectuted every "step" and the functions that have to be called from the drawing event (because they amont other things contain drawing commands) that is executed more often. I threw in a line that should prevent anything but drawing from happening more than once each step. That should hopefully fix the issue.
download/file.php?id=518 (has some other minor progress too)

Thanks a lot for the testing so far!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:37 pm 
just took another shot at getting the negative people waiting bug, but just got interrupted by another one. This time it was my sticks! :P

edit:
Just happened a second time with sticks again. Though I'm playing this with a pen tablet, so sometimes it seems to think I'm double clicking. and I've also noticed at times that the game takes a little extra time to remove buttons in the menus, so maybe it's just clicking them twice before they're gone?

Attachments:
File comment: I'll have to lose a few buildings, but at least I can recover from this one :P
negative sticks.JPG
negative sticks.JPG [ 61.81 KiB | Viewed 3173 times ]
File comment: second time it's happened, guess my guess my guys are going hungry today!
negative sticks 2.JPG
negative sticks 2.JPG [ 59.93 KiB | Viewed 3176 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:04 am 
Blue Raptor
Ok, I definitely got that one fixed I think.
( It seems when your OS says you clicked the button twice within the few milliseconds it takes the program to make the changes, the build button is still active and the thing is built again. While I never got this, I was able to reproduce it by checking only for mouse_button_down, and got an endless amount of buildings in the same spot until I relased it.
It now only checks for the mouse button only if a variable is true that becomes false as soon as you enter the mouse button code and only becomes true again if it is neither down nor was 'pressed' last step nore was released last step, in other words if you left that damn button alone for the poor program to catch up. :D )

download/file.php?id=523
Not at all sure if that was the problem that caused the negative people bug by executing the people update code twice.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:45 am 
OK! Got it to happen twice in a row now, and think I might know what's causing it.

It seems to be that when people give up waiting, because it's taking to long to get a home, rather then because your out of food or something, it's still keeping track of them, even though it's no longer showing you anything about that.
In the screen shots, on day 16 you can see 2 people left because I took long to get them homes (but kept everyone happy). Yet on day 20, they still moved in, after I built a large house, thereby dropping me to -2 waiting for a home.

edit: hmm.. wrong again. I tried to cause the bug while using tiny huts and it didn't work. I'm thinking I might have to write a guide or something so you can see it for yourself, now that I found a way to make it happen consistently.

Attachments:
File comment: The last 2 people from an earlier rush, caused by a fireplace have gotten tired of waiting, and left.
leading to it, 047.JPG
leading to it, 047.JPG [ 70.43 KiB | Viewed 3144 times ]
File comment: Despite there only being 1 person waiting the day before, 2 extra people moved in as well as the first guy, into the large hut that was just finished.
This leads to the counter dropping to -2.

negative peoples, 047.JPG
negative peoples, 047.JPG [ 70.17 KiB | Viewed 3144 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:21 am 
just finished a rough guide to causing the bug. here it is, and hope it helps!

Quote:
Slipperlife 0.47

This is just a day by day walk through of how I get the bug to show up.
that way you can see all the information I likely dissmissed as unimportant, or just plain didn't notice.

A general rule I follow here is after day 2, always gather as much food as needed, and always make repairs. they may make the guide a bit off at times, but so far it's still worked in the end anyway.

Day 0:
build tiny moss hut, and apply 6 labor to it.

Day 1:
taking the bottom path, clear away the two patches of slipper scrub, blocking you from getting to the berries, and then gather 2 of them.

Day 2:
gather 1 berry, and thenbuild a fireplace, applying 3 labor to it. then gather wood with the rest.

Day 3:
get 3 berries, fix any damaged buildings you might have, and gather wood till you can build another tiny hut, then use the rest of your labor on it.

Day 4:
get food, finnish the hut (if not done already), and then gather wood with rest of your labor.

Day 5:
should need 4 food now, gather wood till up to 5, build a tiny hut, and use all labor on it.

Day 6:
get food, finnish hut, gather wood with last of labor

Day 7:
food,get the sand just below the starting hut then gether wood

Day 8:
food, get up to 8 wood, and build a small hut where the sand was. using all labor

Day 9:
get food, and finish the hut if you can.

Day 10:
get food, then get wood

Day 11:
get food, then wood again. at this point you should have 10 before you're out of room. end the day

Day 12:
food, clear the nearest scrub to the left side of starting hut, and build a storage hut in it's place, using rest of labor.

Day 13:
(foot hit me hard today so I might be a bit behind)
get food and repairs, and then work on the storage. if finished, go for more wood or something

Day 14:
food, finish storage, and then gather wood again.

Day 15:
food, then wood

Day 16:
food, then wood until at 14. clear away the scrub to the right of starting hut, and build large hut in it's place. use all remaining labor on it.

Day 17:
food, repairs, work on hut.

Day 18:
food, repair, work on hut..

Day 19:
food, repair, finnish hut hopfully, gather wood or something.

Day 20:
if you finished the hut, you should see this message..
"-2 people are hanging around waiting for an available home."
otherwise work more on the hut, and then do whatever for the rest of the day.

Anyway, there you have it, I hope this helps out with the bug testing!
Good luck ~ Zelitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:06 pm 
Blue Raptor
Ahahahahaha. I think I got it now.
Swapped array indices in removing things from the list. Well, at least it fixes the bug where you had it:
Attachment:
corel323.gif
corel323.gif [ 61.48 KiB | Viewed 3102 times ]
Attachment:
corel324.gif
corel324.gif [ 61.66 KiB | Viewed 3107 times ]
Attachment:
corel325.gif
corel325.gif [ 43.85 KiB | Viewed 3104 times ]
Attachment:
corel326.gif
corel326.gif [ 43.46 KiB | Viewed 3096 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:16 pm 
Blue Raptor
Alright, I finally got to throw in a first version of the new resource management. Keep in mind this is all beta and only a first attempt at this still and the speck hasnt even said yay or nay to it, but the general idea is that now things need time to grow, and you can assign and unassign work to it harvesting it, and it will stay assigned over the days.
Note that shrooms grow faster and berries slower. If a resource is spent it will just not give anything this day, but work assigned to it will still make it regrow faster.
A little specialty is the moss since it gives both food and and building material. If you decide to only farm a plant for one of the two it will of course produce more of that than it does if it is farmed for both. Insane, isnt it? I mean of course its logical, but who can be so twisted to put that into a game?

Either way... now with insane resources. Please tell me if something seems broken. download/file.php?id=539

edit: Little hint: When the assigned work from last day would make your storage overflow, all harvesting work becomes unassigned in the morning.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:48 pm 
Blubber Dragon
Species: Blubber Dragon
Hmm... The labor available doesn't seem to be replenishing itself every day. I had a gradually decreasing amount of labor per day, and on turn 5 it went into the negatives, and I couldn't do anything at all. ^^()

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:34 am 
Blue Raptor
I noticed that too on a quick re-glance, slapped my head as I had forgotten to add a bit of code, and immediately, like 5 minutes after the upload, re-uploaded, and only then went to bed.
Not immediately enough perhaps? I should have added an addon to the version number so you'd just know whether you used the old one or not, but it is was like 2 am. :whistle:

Does it still happen when you re-get it?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:34 am 
Blubber Dragon
Yep, still does. A few turns in the labor drops to zero, then drops into the negatives and stays there.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:02 pm 
Blue Raptor
*cant reproduce that*
What are you doing there again? Stop blubbering your bubbles all over my program!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:17 pm 
Blubber Dragon
On the first turn I set labor to gather sticks and leaves from the first moss plant you start beside. I also started work on a new small hut. After the third turn it was done, and my labor was stuck at 4/6. After that it slipped to 3/6, then 2/4, then 0/4, etc. If I removed people from duty gathering food, the labor available went up for one turn, then vanished again. By turn 7 or 8 it was in the negatives. I advanced it to turn 9 to take this screen capture, where its at -2/2.