Faibanx MUCK
Artist Gallery
It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Land of the Lost
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:02 pm 
Movie Monster
Species: Anthro Dragon
I really didn't expect to like this movie. When I first heard about it, I admit I let out a long "whaaaaaaaaaat." I must admit I've never liked Will Ferrell that much, either. Besides him, the idea was a bit intriguing, but I just couldn't parse a Land of the Lost movie at first. When I was a kid I used to love watching the 90s Land of the Lost series, but I later found out there was a 70s series that people knew much better. Trying to think how either made a movie was hard on me.

I went to see it because I go to see every movie with monsters in it. This is obvious. My friend and I were the only ones in the entire theater. I looked. I guess that's why it's the last day it was playing here. When we bought our tickets, the girl at the counter had to run tell the projectionist to get back to work.

So imagine my surprise when I absolutely freaking loved it.

That this movie is getting worse reviews than Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D is a crime against humanity, not to mention dinosaurs. This is so much better it's not even funny.

Land of the Lost has everything that's good in life. Guys in rubber suits. Styrofoam-looking rocks. And by god, they played the T-Rex to perfection. He's got twice the personality of a dozen tired out movie monsters. It's so rare to see a movie actually not give a crap and just throw convention out the window. There's not much plot, but I honestly felt it was one of the more intelligent movies I've seen in a while. (Most people will tell you this is insanity, but most people are wrong.) It probably also contains my favorite T-Rex in a movie ever.

There's been so much negative reaction, I just felt the need to write this. There is a massive hate-on for this movie, and it just doesn't jive with my experience. Maybe your brain needs to be wired differently to enjoy it. It's logical in its lack of logic. I'm probably no good at explaining it, but I'm already anticipating a video release to watch it again.

Post subject: Re: Land of the Lost
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:10 pm 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
Damn, and here I thought my laziness could prevail AND I'd still be the first to post a review of the movie. Selendro's absolutely right, I think Diablo did an exceptional job as the tyrannosaur in the movie. I didn't see the terrible other movie that Selendro mentioned, but Jenn did and had a similar review. Journey sucked ass and only had stereotypical stupid T. rex in the movie for like two minutes.

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't think it was a great movie, and Will Ferrell is just not that funny...the guy who played Marshall stole the show, what there was to steal. It was a goofy movie that parodied the original series and, judging by end credits and incidental music, Planet of the Apes as well (yes, the original one, not the shitty remake). I haven't seen the sequel to Night at the Museum, but the first one was much better than Land of the Lost. It had more refined adult humor, such as it was.

Nevertheless, Land of the Lost was fun for a parody movie. Granted, it was like a poorly written Story Bored episode, but it did have a few laughs, and you absolutely should see it for the tyrannosaur, he's worth the price of admission. I thought of Diablo a lot. Granted, they did kill off one dinosaur (Alice), and granted, there should have been lots more dinosaurs, but there was a fair amount, and they were stereotypically funny. The writer/director obviously just knows dinosaurs from Jurassic Park, as all the predator stereotypes were representin'. There were compies, raptors, and the rex. Those were the only dinosaurs there ever were, right? No need for others. :)

But the rex was great. Not only could he understand English, but his role as an antagonist was exceptional. They had such fun with his character...he was more interesting than the other non-human, Chaka, side character. Unfortunately, there was only one non-sexy stomp, but he was so much fun in the movie.

And wow, someone else remembers the 90's Land of the Lost. I don't think that should be allowed. Remember what now?

The twist and tribute to Enik was awesome in the movie. Not quite as deep of a character as he was in the 70's series, but still fun. Now, if the next Sid and Marty Krofft production is a Dr. Shrinker movie...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:23 pm 
Movie Monster
Species: Anthro Dragon
No not a great movie, but in the very narrow realm of dinosaur movies I found it exceptional. Maybe that's not saying much, but on a personal level it's amazingly refreshing.

In recent memory there are the Jurassic Park movies, and a bunch of Sci-Fi Channel original movies. Jurassic Park is good fun, but you can pretty much count on any Sci-Fi Channel original movie to be as generic as possible, with the dinosaur easily replaced by pretty much insert monster here. I'm just so glad this movie had a T-Rex that had something to do and they weren't afraid to actually put him on the screen right up center. A dinosaur that isn't a mindless monster is a rare enough thing. It was something different. King Kong had dinosaurs too, I guess. I'm probably missing something else, too.

Glad I'm not the only one who was thinking Diablo. Because I really was. Then again, how many other smart T-Rexes does one see?

And did you mean...whatever Trailer Trash guy (were the names really important? I just let it sweep me along its nonsense with reckless abandon and didn't pay attention to details that are really immaterial to a film like this.) I admit to liking him. His line near the end along the lines of "I have lived," echoed my own thoughts pretty well.

You're right that there weren't enough dinosaurs...there are other flaws too, but I guess it's still so amazing to me that they got right what they did at all. I'll probably mellow out by tomorrow. I'm still on that high I sometimes get from swinging 180 degrees on a movie. Sometimes happens when I don't expect to enjoy a movie.

I can still sing most of the 90s Land of the Lost intro from memory, and I'm not too ashamed to admit it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:37 am 
Talking Tyrannosaur
Species: Tyrannosaurus
*Rumbles suspiciously at being in a movie and not realising it*

I'm going to have to go and see it now! Thanks for the reviews, Selendro and Dino!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:21 am 
3-Headed Troublemaker
Species: 3-headed dragon
Ah, y'see Diablo, that's the trouble with being a Dinosaur. Since you're 'extinct' as a species, those nasty Hollywood types assume it is ok to use stock Dino footage (made a pun!) without copyright consent. I'd get on to your manager as soon as possible.

Which leads to the question; what film _did_ you work on, that they stole the footage from?

(If that doesn't help, eat your manager, and I'll give you the number of mine. He's never failed to find me work in Godzilla films and that BT advert. And Mummy 3, but only as a cameo.)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:08 pm 
Blue Raptor
Species: anthro raptor
Land of the lust? Where? :o