Faibanx MUCK
Artist Gallery
It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2024 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oh my dog, they're really doing it. G20 summit in Pittsburgh
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:24 am 
Blue Raptor
Species: anthro raptor
I heard rumors of that already during the recent anthrocon, but now it is official. The G20 summit, the meeting of the 20 most (econocally) powerful nations' leaders, will be held in the anthrocon facilities (David L. Lawrence Convention Center) this September.
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_G-20_Pittsburgh_summit )

That of course is a funny thought, and since there is not all that much else to tell about Pittsburgh it will inevitably mean that the place being where "anthrocon", a huge convention of people that dress up in animal costumes and want to suck horses takes place every year at the start of July will be part of the news on the media, so those of you with parents or friends that know you've been there but not that you're a furry might want to prepare for that ...

On the more fun side, Pittsburgh's mayor Ravenstahl, who seems to be a rather lax and fun person in general for a mayor, that changed his name once for a week to not have the naem of the rival football team in it (even though Steelerstahl is rather redundant since Stahl already means steel in Raptorlandish, but it seems to have helped), is quoted saying he much rather has the furries come to town :zillaright: than the G20. Image
A view that most of Pittsburgh's downtown shop owners and citizens seem to share. Scary.

As an among anthrocon-going furries very prominent example, Fernando is a good example:
http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/stories/2009/08/17/story2.html
Well I can understand him. I bet they wont ask him to come up on stage and praise his sandwiches. :D

Or maybe he just doesnt want to take a brick for them. ;)

Post subject: Re: Oh my dog, they're really doing it. G20 summit in Pittsburgh
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:02 am 
Blubber Dragon
Species: Blubber Dragon
Heh heh, its not a surprise the business owners like the furries. They bring money with them, and spend it locally! Usually quite a lot of money too. And no doubt there's an increase in traffic from people coming in to see what's up with all these oddly dressed tourist types.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:33 am 
Movie Monster
Species: Anthro Dragon
That mayor is funny. But yeah, it's not like people aren't spending money, and it's not like they're all up in your stores doing weird things. They're probably just...eating sandwiches. Or whatever. Probably the worst that could happen is they sit and eat the sandwich in a fursuit.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:30 pm 
Blue Raptor
Species: anthro raptor
Selendro wrote:
That mayor is funny. But yeah, it's not like people aren't spending money, and it's not like they're all up in your stores doing weird things. They're probably just...eating sandwiches. Or whatever. Probably the worst that could happen is they sit and eat the sandwich in a fursuit.

No, no. You dont get it. Them Pittsburghers are REALLY scary! Fernando's has anthrocon specials.
They have t-shirts specials printed for anthrocon. They have paw prints leading into their stores.
When I didnt have my character badges but only the convention attendance one on I was asked in a shop by the girl behind the counter not what furries are, but what species I am and how I came to that!
Going into the food places with tails and badges on and even full suits is the NORM! They made use of it by referring to you by your badge name when they hand your sandwich over to the next guy for toppings!
Fernando's is renamed to Furnando's during anthrocon!
They tell you your costume is great or that your character look cool or cute on your badges! They buy furry posters and put them and (probably gifted) pictures of themselves as anthros up in their stores!
They are insane, I tells you! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:35 pm 
Movie Monster
Species: Anthro Dragon
Blue wrote:
They are insane, I tells you! :lol:

Oh.

Oh.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:53 pm 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
And thus will begin rumors that "furries live there and walk around in broad daylight" about the Pitt just like they did about...oh, what's that town in California...two word name...San somethin'...had an F...looked like this *makes gesture*...oh, whatever. Anyway, one wacko owner does not a friendly town make.