Artist Gallery
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The End: Faibanx webcam
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:47 am 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
Well, since I'm hearing privacy concerns now on the verge of deployment, I figured I'd put it up for a vote.

I had a random thought that, "Boy, wouldn't it be neat to have a 'webcam' of sorts in the Faibanx town square, so people could see what was going on there?" Just a couple of weeks later, Ragora had completely developed the "backend" server program to do it.

To be specific, the proposal is to take the pretty useless and clunky "Java web access" to Faibanx page I had put up years ago that all of 2 people used (seen at http://www.lavadomefive.com/faibanx/webaccess/Faibanx.html) and just repoint it to a webcam telnet server. The 'webcam' would simply be a user called Webcam who sits in the square, and all public displays and text and poses are shown to him, like any other person standing there. The Java web access would just point to a public telnet feed of what Webcam sees. When a user first connects, he'd get a history of maybe the last 10 posts, and then see a live view. Since it's just the square and it's where people hang out regularly, I thought it might be fun.

However, I'm getting feedback from one person at least that this would be invasive and not private etc. and if he wants to make his viewpoint known he can do so himself. I don't care one way or another, but I think it would be a shame to not put all of Ragora's work in place.

My own feeling is that...well, you know me. I don't make people log on to see forum content now, and I don't see how a public place in Faibanx should be any different. Since it's a client side Java app, I don't even see how a bot could crawl it, and since I give out Faibanx accounts like candy to whoever asked, I don't see where it's a problem of secret prying eyes, but I do understand the concern, so that's why I'm putting it up for a vote.

Do you think it's a fun idea, a bad idea, or don't care?

Post subject: Re: Vote: Faibanx webcam
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:35 pm 
Species: Anthrodragon
You won't see me in the square like that. You really want to advocate such practices?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:33 pm 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
If you don't like the idea, be sure to vote that you don't. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:12 pm 
I've got this place covered.
Species: Brynn-style Dragon
Holy crap I actually agree with Donamer about something.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:02 pm 
I've got this place covered.
Species: Brynn-style Dragon
Because it would be amazingly invasive, intrusive, and creepy. As 'public' as the 'central meeting place where everyone assembles to socialize' may be on the inside, it still has a small enough barrier to entry that keeps it from being a public spectacle. I don't see what would be positive about opening up the place to all prying eyes, as unlikely as it may seem; if someone wants in, they know who to ask for an account.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:13 pm 
Species: Dragon
As has been said (and will be said again), it's an extremely bad idea. I do not like the idea that anyone who happens to take an interest in us/me/whoever can just observe what goes on in the square without (or even with) our knowledge. It's invasive and will only foster an enormous amount of whispering, or spur everyone to go elsewhere. Many of the things that go on or are discussed on the muck are things that while shared 'publicly' are very private and not something that should be left open to be freely observed by the outside world. I don't want to live in a giant glass house with no curtains. :munch:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:22 pm 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
And you want to eat cities as well. :) So...three negative opinions, and...just one down vote?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:37 pm 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper

;)

BTW, Ragora pretty much blames me for the whole waste of time and I got a nice "fuck you" from him, so...watch how fast I come up with new ideas for LD5 in the future.

"WHAT WE HAVE IS GOOD ENOUGH"

Post subject: Re: The End: Faibanx webcam
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:11 am 
Blue Raptor
Species: anthro raptor
I'm sorry Dino.

(I see it perfectly like Leindurstit and Torenth. While I too think it's unlikely anybody will watch at all and can even live with posting my own perversions for the world to see (after all I do it on the forum too :) ), I found it to be a really big issue, as I was afraid people would not feel at home any more, potentially being constantly spied by who knows. I must admit I thought I'd stand rather alone with that.)

Well, if it helps you Dino, thanks for listening and for caring.

We love you. :slipper:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:45 pm 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Quote:
"I think it would be a shame to not put all of Ragora's work in place." - Dino, two seconds ago

But go on, continue hating me and "fuck you"-ing me and etc. and so forth. It's fine. :)

Quote:
"It don't matter....none of this matters." - Carl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:30 pm 
Magnificent Bastard
If the framework is solid, don't scrap it. Add it to your design portfolio. A failed project is only a waste of time if you learned nothing from it.

Besides, this wouldn't be the first time you've had a coding project abandoned in the final phase without getting the recognition it deserves.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:43 am 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
I'm certainly not scrapping it. If we ever do a Match Game or Password again, it's what I'll use for the audience (LOL) to watch the show with, so as to have the audience not be able to mutter and grumble during the game. :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:34 am 
Self-made mule
Species: hinny
I would personally not mind a camera in the square itself, but then again with a name as nonunique as Patch, I don't think actions could be easily traced back to my irl identity without a supena.

Could we cam special events like the Match Game, maybe, if participants are okay with that?

In addition (or alternatively), I wouldn't mind cameras being able to be placed in locations belonging to their respective @owners, as long as it's explicitly stated that that's what's going on
Quote:
You arrive at the somewhat imposing front gates of Patch's Fabulously Radon-Filled Spook Mansion.
You notice atleast one of the property's camera's peering at you.
Such cameras wouldn't be open on the here on site for public view. They would maybe activate if someone were snooping around the property. Maybe the camera would record a log of whatever happened while there was a player active in the room, and the "footage" (puns plz) would be accessible to the camera's owner from ingame. This would be fully advised to all players on private property being observed by a camera.

We could certainly have some private per-player setting that just sortof opts out of this behavior and prevents cameras from working on them, similar to the puppeting and other controls in the old configuration, which could allow other players to pose your character if enabled, pick them up, eat them, etc.

Thoughts?