Faibanx MUCK
Artist Gallery
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 10:23 pm

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Muck Mapping
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:34 am 
3-Headed Troublemaker
Species: 3-headed dragon
I appreciate the work Blue has done on mapping Faibanx. I do. He's spent a long time on the development, and a fair amount in drawing it too boot. His implementation isn't the way I would have done it myself, but that's just my view. He's taken on all the responsibility of every single tiny detail of a changing environment, on his own, and therefore have to set limits to stop the it changing. It's flipping tough, especially when it's run by a database only Blue can maintain that is entirely separate to the muck and the forum, but tries to use details copied from both.

However, today, well, I saw it coming. The reason mapping mucks inevitablly falls down is because mucks are dynamic by nature. Things come and go over time, and everyone can make whatever they want to. I removed a room I owned. My room, I figured. Sure, the room was on the map as an area shared as housing by another person (who hasn't been around for nearly 4 years), and I didn't remove their home, just unlinked it from the open world, I suppose. Also worth noting the area around mine had been deleted by someone else so there was limited access in the first place. Not much harm in it, I thought. Blue said I couldn't because it messes up his map.

The solution? "All places that have been around for a period of time should be @chowned to Dino." I'm sorry, but what? No, that's not how mucks work.

But that's the trouble when one person assumes control over the entire layout of a muck, and because it is 'mapped', is considered static. If someone changes something, Blue's solution is now to clone the land, so it is now owned by himself, just so the map can stay the same. I guess this'll happen any time anything changes. It's not just my room. I am against him resurrecting any room someone deleted deliberately because it doesn't fit into his map.

The map is a representation of the muck, and though I'm sorry if it is a lot of work maintaining the map (yes, it does look nice), but the map is supposed to show what the muck is, not the other way around.

Cue Blue now saying "No one else wants to do it. I have to take on the responsibility of this complicated and non-too efficient project by myself!"

Ironically, it's the map that caused the trouble in the first place. Blue has a to-do list of things for the map. Of course, he is entirely in his right to do the list in any order, whether it being brand new items, or things have have been on the list for, oh, some _years_. I reserve the right to delete property I own. I suppose Blue has the right to replace my rooms with 'similar' clones if he wants. I just don't happen to agree with it.

/rantover

Post subject: Re: Muck Mapping
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:02 am 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
*marches for Blue* Huh, what? Oh, this. I suppose I need to make some sort of 'secutive decision, huh? Actually, I think this one is a no-brainer.

Not everything is shown on the map. However, the core framework is, and if some 'square' leads to other 'squares' that other people own/live in/whatever, then of course they'll be rebuilt if someone decides to vacate. Didn't you ever play World of Goo? You can't go removing gooballs from the middle of a lattice and not replace them. :) Of course, having someone wipeout would give the owners of the adjacent squares a chance to change how things are if they like as well, and that involves nagging Blue to do stuff, and I like watching that.

Of course, even this is beyond my actual level of care, this is just Admin Dino talking. All I do is teleport from room to room, I never actually walk anywhere. :) The ruling is as follows: sure, you can delete whatever you own, but don't be surprised if a marching Blue comes through and paves over it to keep it Efficient(tm) and Whatever(tm). Raptors like that value Order(tm) and Strvctvre(tm).

Hey, I wonder if I delete slippers, they'll be replaced with even bigger, more 'loved' ones... :slipper: :slipper:

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:13 am 
Blue Raptor
Species: anthro raptor
Well what can I say?
- I only work on stuff on the map, and stuff in general as it is, when I am in the mood for that, and exactly for THAT. Its why I dont take commissions.
- I am sorry it took me forever already and I still didnt finish your rift, Silvervein mountians, Woulfe's island, Kraken's pixel pic, Dino's slipper game, Karasaph's won commission, etc etc, and I apologize for that. I am not sorry for sometimes being in the right mood for something and finishing it even though there is still older stuff that I should have finished first. I cant help my mood.
- I think while everyody is free to remove or move or change stuff they created on a MUCK, and I will of course change that on the map too, large terrain features make sense to remain. And that is what I said.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:38 pm 
3-Headed Troublemaker
Species: 3-headed dragon
Lord and ruler hath spoken. So be it.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:52 pm 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
And for those folks NOT living on the muck right now with both of these Fine Citizens(tm), I think the feud is over and everyone wins. Or maybe everyone lost. Yeah! Yeah, it was that one. :)