Artist Gallery
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 2:14 pm

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Timon - No Worries
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:35 am 
The Three 'aws - Paws, Claws and Jaws.
Hi folks, RipRoarRex back again.

:)

Well it's official - the new colouring method is working a treat in helping me pick up my pace. I was uploading the scan of this picture at 10:15pm last night, and by 2:10am, I had completed the image you see before you. Yes, so smoothly was it going that I couldn't stop until I'd finished it, so I stayed up till the wee hours. (There's one good thing about being unemployed...!) Indeed, much like 'Rexar - Fantasy In Red', the turnaround of the whole piece was again very swift by my standards.

Timon is one of those characters that most would probably blush to admit having a fancy for, but he is still pretty awesome. It's been a long time since I'd really thought about him though - heck, I've mentioned before that I've only seen The Lion King maybe once or twice in my entire life, and that would probably have been about 15 years ago. Seeing some drawings of him recently however raised the curiosity in me once again...

I'd never actually tried drawing Timon before so I sat down and sketched him for the first time on Thursday morning. A few more experimental sketches later and eventually I came up with this pose - nothing special, but I wanted to keep it fairly simple with a character I'm not yet familiar with. As I say, the turnaround was again refreshingly quick; having never drawn the character at 10am Thursday, I'd completed the linework for this drawing by 10pm and it was fully coloured four hours later. Why can't it always be that simple?!

:roll:

Timon seems to be one of the numerous characters I've come across whose features tend to vary depending on where you source your reference images from. His colouring, his marks, the shape of his arms and the soles of his feet all seem to be interpreted in numerous ways based on what I used to create this picture, so as with previous instances, I've simply gone with my own combination of the available options. I tried to stay reasonably faithful to the original style though, so I've kept everything fairly simple.

Being another quickie by my standards, this one is by no means perfect - I borked the perspective a bit so the torso is a little wonky and one foot actually looks bigger than the other, the face didn't come out quite as I'd hoped once I applied colour to it, and his hands should probably be at least partially visible if I'm honest. Still, I enjoyed making this one. It was another one of those rare occasions where I didn't get pissed off with the picture; something which will hopefully become a more common occurence if recent examples are anything to go by.

:D

Enough talk from me anyway - here's the pic.

------------------------------

Timon's got no worries, and he doesn't think you should have any either - whatever it is you wanna do...

;)

Attachment:
File comment: Timon - No Worries
TimonNoWorries.jpg
TimonNoWorries.jpg [ 393.23 KiB | Viewed 4926 times ]

[Direct Link]

(I also threw one together with a hint of musk, for anyone that's into that kinda thing: click here)

RRRex

Post subject: Re: Timon - No Worries
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:56 am 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
Damn, you captured him to a T! :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:25 pm 
DarkDragonDX wrote:
Wow, he really does look like how he did in the Lion King (and Timon and Pumba :D) to me! I've always wondered what cartoon characters would look like with a bit more realisim.

The only problem I see is that his legs and feet don't quite "fit" with the grass (not sure how to describe what I mean by that), but otherwise that's an amazing "quickie" :shock:

Yes, I do see what you mean, and I agree. But, as you've noted, it was a quickie, so I wasn't thinking too much about the background and how it fits with the subject.

Thanks very much!

Dinosorceror wrote:
Damn, you captured him to a T! :)

Thanks Dino! I've not quite got him to look as I would want but it's a pretty close approximation.

;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:58 am 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
You're kidding! I can't see how he could look any more...Timon! :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:19 am 
Blue Raptor
Species: anthro raptor
I'm not a fan of Timon. (Or paws.) But you captured him totally on spot I think.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:02 am 
Timon's only worries isn't getting attention to his feet.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:22 am 
Self-made mule
Species: hinny
Interesting interpretation. Timon is probably one of the original non-mascot (like Trix rabbit or whatev) anthros that anyone's like, ever exposed to, other than maybe the Robin Hood gang.
This drawing I like.

A little overdone on the glossiness I'd say that you're used to considering he's supposed to be fuzzy... biggest alarmbells on the paws' undersides where it's supposed to be shaded, and then one notices it's actually a little overglossy elsewheres. I know you said this was more of a speed deal for you, but I figured I'd mention.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:50 pm 
Sorry for the slow reply, folks!

Blue wrote:
I'm not a fan of Timon. (Or paws.) But you captured him totally on spot I think.

Heh - well as long as it looks good, that's something. :) Thanks Blue!

Jd1680a wrote:
Timon's only worries isn't getting attention to his feet.

He needn't worry about that either... ;)

Patch wrote:
Interesting interpretation. Timon is probably one of the original non-mascot (like Trix rabbit or whatev) anthros that anyone's like, ever exposed to, other than maybe the Robin Hood gang.
This drawing I like.

A little overdone on the glossiness I'd say that you're used to considering he's supposed to be fuzzy... biggest alarmbells on the paws' undersides where it's supposed to be shaded, and then one notices it's actually a little overglossy elsewheres. I know you said this was more of a speed deal for you, but I figured I'd mention.

Well I know what you mean - in many ways it's the incongruity between my smooth style and this rigid cartoon style, which results in me shading a flat toe to look rounded. Dodgy.

:?

As you've acknowledged though, yes, it was a quickie. Still, thanks for the feedback!

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:22 pm 
:lol:
Its Epic! I love how much your picture looks like the original character! It must of taken you some time! Great work! :) :up:

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:35 pm 
frchatty wrote:
:lol:
Its Epic! I love how much your picture looks like the original character! It must of taken you some time! Great work! :) :up:

Heh - well all my pictures take me a fair bit of time, but as I mention in the original description, in relative terms this one was a quick one compared to my usual pace. It only took 16 hours in total (not solid work, I should stress) from having never drawn the character before to having this picture completed.

Anyway, thanks, frchatty! ;)