Member Sites 
Faibanx MUCK
Artist Gallery
It is currently Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bubba - Heavy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:58 pm 
The Three 'aws - Paws, Claws and Jaws.
Hi everybody, RipRoarRex here, bringing you three brand new characters for my collection!

Introducing new character Number Two... Bubba the Duck.

I've previously displayed my enjoyment of cartoon duck feet in last year's 'Mike - Duck'd' comic involving a generic duck character. Not long after that however, I started toying with the idea of making a regular duck character, but this time much bigger and more imposing.

I'm not usually a big fan of the whole 'fat' or 'slobby' genre, but I can find it quite fitting and appealing on the right characters. Somehow the idea of a huge, fat meanie of a duck with big feet really worked for me, and Bubba was born. I had originally begun working on a multi-page comic project involving Bubba in August last year (part of which was recently revealed in one of the segments of my 'Great Unfinished Gallery' on FurAffinity) but I felt I needed something of a signature image to introduce the character instead. Hence, I put this together in the last 24 hours.

Aside from wanting a duck character that played to the 'chubby' theme, I also wanted to use this opportunity to return to my cartoon roots as far as character design is concerned. Whilst many of my characters are known by a number of people, I've always felt that Rexar was the only truly distinctive character of the bunch. In my opinion, that distinctiveness comes from the stylistic nature of his original cartoon design; something which I feel I haven't really attempted with any of my other characters since. Therefore, in creating Bubba as very much a cartoony character, I wanted to infuse the design with my own style (albeit incorporating a few others) to create a more distinctive and recognisable character. Hopefully I achieved that!

I'm guessing this is likely to be the sort of character that folks will love or hate, but I would like to think there are enough people out there who appreciate this kind of thing. More on the way from this character in time, so for those who are likeminded, I hope you'll enjoy what's to come in the future!

-------------------------------

Bubba: He's not fat, he's just heavy.

Attachment:
File comment: BubbaHeavy
BubbaHeavy.jpg
BubbaHeavy.jpg [ 417.48 KiB | Viewed 2716 times ]

[Direct Link]

RRRex

Post subject: Re: Bubba - Heavy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:02 pm 
Magnificent Bastard
He doesn't look all that fat. Just round. Could easily be a very odd-shaped bundle of muscle. 'Cause muscle weighs more, as you know. In fact, he might be surprisingly agile for his size. Like... a sumo duck. Acrofatic.

You might be able to sell the fatness angle easier if the arms were closer to wings, a la your original duck design. Or perhaps Final Fantasy's Fat Chocobo.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:02 pm 
Blubber Dragon
Species: Blubber Dragon
Well he's either fat, round, or very fluffy. ^^ Either way, he's neat!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:49 am 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
"Acrofatic," that's a good word for it! And you do realize this pic is just screaming to be on a T-shirt, right? You may not know who Helvetica Bold is, but I guarantee he'll buy 5 of them if you make 'em. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:36 am 
The Three 'aws - Paws, Claws and Jaws.
Sprotchymon wrote:
He doesn't look all that fat. Just round. Could easily be a very odd-shaped bundle of muscle. 'Cause muscle weighs more, as you know. In fact, he might be surprisingly agile for his size. Like... a sumo duck. Acrofatic.

You might be able to sell the fatness angle easier if the arms were closer to wings, a la your original duck design. Or perhaps Final Fantasy's Fat Chocobo.

Heh - well I didn't want to go overboard on fat. Just enough to imply that he is heavier than the average... er... duck?

:lol: Lol!

As for the arms/wings, I wanted to make him a proper cartoony anthro character, so I went for something more akin to hands. Still very much a stylistic thing though - I could easily make them look more like wings if I wanted.

Tombfyre wrote:
Well he's either fat, round, or very fluffy. ^^ Either way, he's neat!

Why not all three?

;)

Thanks, Tombfyre!

Dinosorceror wrote:
"Acrofatic," that's a good word for it! And you do realize this pic is just screaming to be on a T-shirt, right? You may not know who Helvetica Bold is, but I guarantee he'll buy 5 of them if you make 'em. :)

T-shirt, poster, medium-sized billboard... it's all good...

:lol:

Not that I'm into using my art for such production but I dare say some would enjoy this kind of thing!

Thanks, Dino!