Faibanx MUCK
Artist Gallery
It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Little pests - a stupid little game's preview
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:42 pm 
Blue Raptor
Species: anthro raptor
Long story short, I had yet another idea for yet another macro game, feeling the need to pixel yet another set of somehow-themed buildings for one, and since the forum can always use stuff I thought I might as well bring it to a point where one can have some fun with it in game maker.

http://download.lavadomefive.com/member ... ts-p01.zip

Yes, of course it is an .exe, its a GAME, dammit.
Oh, and arrow keys walk forwards/backwards/turn, num block just walks into that direction.

I think its cute. :)

edit: oh, forgot. It may not run under Vista with the version of Game Maker I used. I may see to that, later.

update: Now with fun and score (it still not "the game" but still a totally stupid preview. But now you can get a score for how ell you wated your time. ;) )
Try to keep the spammers down until they become too much. The more they are and the more time has passed the more they will advance, and you get more score over time and they build bigger houses worth more points, but the faster they will build as well and in the bigger house fit more of them so they will advange faster and build even bigger houses and build even faster and become yet more, ... oh the humanity!
http://download.lavadomefive.com/member ... ts-p02.zip

update 2: Now with little trees! http://download.lavadomefive.com/member ... iew2-5.zip

update 3: And now with GROWING trees! http://download.lavadomefive.com/member ... iew2-6.zip :)

update 4: and shrubbery! http://download.lavadomefive.com/member ... iew2-7.zip

update 5: For Vista-suffering folks too http://download.lavadomefive.com/member ... iew2-9.zip

Post subject: Re: Little pests - a stupid little game's preview
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:14 pm 
Blubber Dragon
Species: Blubber Dragon
Yep, its definitely cute alright. ^^

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:25 pm 
Species: Snow Leopard
Blue wrote:

edit: oh, forgot. It may not run under Vista with the version of Game Maker I used. I may see to that, later.

It runs Just a pain in the ass to get working. XD

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:53 am 
Species: N/A
Unfortunately, my PC is vista.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:53 am 
3-Headed Troublemaker
Species: 3-headed dragon
It never ends! What kind of message is that, that civilisation always wins in the end? The poor thing is overwhelmed with stomping opportunities as the screen fills up! (the game probably ought to end with a huge while deluge as the dragon sees a critical mass coverage of buildings on screen and climaxes). Or maybe it should be a "smart bomb" to clear a radius of buidings, with the dragon spinning around in the middle with white stuff flying around.

The possibilities are endless!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:32 am 
Magnificent Bastard
"Games created with Game Maker versions 6.0 and 6.1 are not compatible with Windows Vista. (Games created with other versions work without problems.) The best you can do is upgrade to version 7.0 of Game Maker before you create the final version of your game.

However, if this is impossible, there is a little tool to convert games created with versions 6.0 and 6.1 into a file that is compatible with Windows Vista. The tool can be downloaded here."

Kudos to Yoyo games for reducing the frustration of fruitlessly fiddling with Vista's innermost workings!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:57 pm 
Blue Raptor
update: Now with fun and score (it still not "the game" but still a totally stupid preview. But now you can get a score for how ell you wated your time. ;) )
Try to keep the spammers down until they become too much. The more they are and the more time has passed the more they will advance, and you get more score over time and they build bigger houses worth more points, but the faster they will build as well and in the bigger house fit more of them so they will advange faster and build even bigger houses and build even faster and become yet more, ... oh the humanity!
http://download.lavadomefive.com/member ... ts-p02.zip

Was still to lazy to get a new version of game maker, and I dont trust new version anyway and there seems to be a too... :angel:

Oh, and before someone asks, I did not make that dragon sprite myself, but stole most of it and only modifed it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:49 am 
Blue Raptor
Now with little trees! http://download.lavadomefive.com/member ... iew2-5.zip

Since the trees dont regrow yet they are indestructable for now. But I found them too cute not to show. :angel:

edit: And now with GROWING trees! http://download.lavadomefive.com/member ... iew2-6.zip

and shrubbery! http://download.lavadomefive.com/member ... iew2-7.zip

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:37 pm 
Self-made mule
Species: hinny
Cute! The trees and shrubbery add a lot to it. This would make such a legit Java game to put on the front page...
Now... is it just me or does our hero move faster when he's going east or west, and then slower when he's going north, south, and diagonally?

I'm not familiar with Gamemaker, but I'm thinking you could use some music and soundeffects? I could certainly arrange for that if you know to how to put them in.
Maybe the music track could speed up a little (assuming we did MIDI) or change (mp3 or WAV) when the city starts getting really big?

Anyway this is cool. Tell me if you want to go any further with it, I'd love to generate some media for this... I should also be up to speed on Java pretty soon...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:34 am 
Blue Raptor
It is only can-walk-around-in preview of one of the many ideas for a macro game I had in mind that I mostly threw away again already, as I find the gameplay concept I had for it would turn out boring.
And the cute little stolen-and-modded dragon is walking the same speed in all directions.
That is, it covers the same amount of ground in every direction. But since you are looking at the ground from an angle and not from straight above, the distance in y-axis pixels on the screen is less. I agree though that it feels a bit strange because likely no other game ever bothered with that aspect, and that currently its a bit harsh, coming from an angle only 30 degrees of the ground if actually calculate it from the current x to y ratio.
I think I'll fix that when I throw the last of what I got for that game idea in as well before I move on to the next.

And will see to getting myself the mentioned converter, I heard that the newer Game Maker whose games run under Vista is not for free anymore, which is likely why I got the old one in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:38 pm 
Blue Raptor
And now with... more trees! And less but gradually speeding up building... oh, and should run under Vista now.
And if you press Pause determinedly enough, it even pauses.

Still lacks chief house, rubble, destroyable trees, cavemen, and meaning, but... whatever. Ineed to sleep now. :)

http://download.lavadomefive.com/member ... iew2-9.zip

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:01 am 
Talking Tyrannosaur
Species: Tyrannosaurus
Hooray for Vista compatibility!

I very much like how the trees sway when you walk through them. My one gripe is the arrow key rotate controls seem a little weird... it might be more intuitive if the arrow keys moved in the directions indicated, instead of rotating - so up makes him go up, left makes him go left, up and left make him go diagonally, etc.

But aside from that it was very entertaining :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:19 am 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
I just said the same thing to Blue in person. He responded by :claw:'ing me and saying I should stop whining and use the num keys instead. Then he stuck me in a :slipper:, so I was set for the night.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:27 am 
Blue Raptor
Blue wrote:
Oh, and arrow keys walk forwards/backwards/turn, num block just walks into that direction.
:)

Thanks, I'll try to make it into something close to a real game some of these days.