Artist Gallery
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OC "server" set up this weekend
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:58 pm 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
At the suggestion of Aeon, who's been a bit sandy of late, and since he nagged me about it before but I could find nothing better than the software he suggested, I'll be setting up an OpenCanvas "server" at the Dome this weekend, and we'll see how it runs. I use the term server lightly because it's nothing more than just letting the software run on a workstation. Being the best admin in the universe, I now have a system at LD5 where I can shit out a billion new servers without making any hardware changes, so I'll just shit out a new virtual machine to host this software, and we'll see how well it works. If I have any issues, I'll just pester Aeon. :)

Post subject: Re: OC "server" set up this weekend
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:50 am 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Well, I've got the "server" all set up, and I've given Aeon the credentials to use the OC client to try and get on it. If that works, I guess everyone needs to nag Aeon to be the primary admin of it (e.g. log onto the "server" desktop and maintain the program running), and have him set up "events" or what have ya.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:56 am 
3-Headed Troublemaker
Species: 3-headed dragon
Yeah... that's not the best timing to be honest, though it's my own fault for not telling you my news. Anyway, about to write a main post about it, so I'll see you over there. I suggest you let Diablo or Ahaster or someone else familiar with OC look after the admin for now.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:23 pm 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Well, screw it then: anyone who has that goofy OC program can just connect and doodle. It's running at whatever IP address oc.lavadomefive.com is running on (since you can't even put a DNS name in that crappy software), and the user/pass is LD5. Maybe every couple of days I'll check on it and see what paws were drawn. :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:14 pm 
Magnificent Bastard
I picked up the last known freeware version (which I'm guessing is what you're using) and I think I managed to connect, but according to this guide there should be a canvas that pops up when I do, but nothing is happening. And any canvas I create using the 'New' command is labeled 'OFFLINE.'

Any hints?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:39 pm 
Species: Black Ice-Demon Dragon
Ooooh I'm excited how this would work, but sadly I'm not an oC user... >.=.>

Hmm...I'm getting my tablet ready though because I feel all warm inside. :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:06 pm 
Magnificent Bastard
I connected to you somehow, which opened a 1000x1000 work window, but when I tried to draw in it, I got errors out the wazoo. The chat had more information in it, and I couldn't switch between tabs in the Network window.

That might be as close as I get tonight though, as I'm already very tired...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:08 pm 
Well, that's a good thing right? :lol:

Maybe eventually we'd be all cramming into openCanvas!! (and start sprotchifying the world... >:3)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:21 am 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Well, what else to expect from PieceOfShit(tm) brand software? :) There were a couple unintelligible errors on my side, but I did see Austin connect. Anyway, I restarted the "program", such as it is, but I think it's cockslammingly clear there has to be something better. I shall continue searching.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:46 pm 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
I see ESC tried as well, but I got similar Japacrap displayed on the "server". I've turned off all the protection on the VM itself, so unless someone knows of other ports besides 9001 that need to go through to that box, beats me. I can get on it from the LAN here just fine. I think my efforts would be better served to finding better art collaboration software than trying to make this flaky abandonware work. But it's still running, go ahead and give it a try again. Maybe I'll try from work tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:07 pm 
Oh Dino! *snuggles your tiny body* Thanks for trying anyway.

I was doing some practice strokes with my tablet to see if Sprotchy-dude could see it. Although I didn't get a reply back, I could probably see there could be something wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:34 pm 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
I think it's pretty clear that program uses ports other than 9001 to operate. If someone could figure out what needs to be piped through a firewall, I could make changes to it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:36 pm 
Blubber Dragon
Species: Blubber Dragon
From what I understand of the program, 9001 is the default port it uses for networking. But if that doesn't work for whatever reason, you can tell it to use a different port. One you know will make it through the firewall and all that. :3 I've not had to do so myself though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:08 pm 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Well, I've got 9001 piped through the firewall now, and it still seems to be taking a dump. I'm pretty sure it uses other ports, as I've seen in the same flakey advice about how to run this crapware advice on how to establish a VPN LAN connection between the two workstations to eliminate the firewall issues. I can't be sure with the Chinese Kung-Pow error dialogs, but I have a feeling those error numbers (10050ish and 10060ish) are actually perhaps referring to port numbers it's trying to use. I can see if that general range conflicts and pipe those through as well, but at this point we're really bending over backwards for crapware.