Legacy LD5

Forum/Website Through 2017
About Us 
Member Sites 
Faibanx MUCK
Artist Gallery
It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 6:10 pm

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: King Koopa - Squish, Squish, Squish...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:23 am 
The Three 'aws - Paws, Claws and Jaws.
RavenClaw wrote:
I have thought Koopa is like that in the picture I put on.

As much as I drew King Koopa in my style, the fundamental design itself is not of my creation. This is where the distinction needs to be made.

The one that you posted is the design I would generally refer to as Bowser. Bowser is usually depicted as having orange/gold coloured skin and with reddish hair. Bowser is the character that generally only appears on the Super Mario games.

ImageImage
Bowser

The design I used for this piece is the one I refer to as King Koopa. King Koopa is depicted as having green coloured skin and doesn't have any hair, but instead wears a crown. King Koopa is the character that generally appears only on the Super Mario TV shows:

ImageImage
King Koopa

Technically, Bowser and King Koopa are the same character - they are both meant to be Mario's arch-nemesis who rules over the koopas. However, their distinct differences and the fact that they appear exclusively apart in individual platforms lead me, and many others, to see them as completely different characters in their own right.

Tombfyre wrote:
Aye, the Koopa featured above was the common form for the old super mario cartoon shows, and other assorted media. The video game versions of Bowser were always different, even though it was supposed to be the same person. He's always had an addiction to getting bigger it seems, as its a common boss-situation in all the games. ^^ Plus yeah, in the cartoon show he went macro once, and was always trying to be huge prior to that.

Hell, he even got inflated a few times. :3

Indeed - there were in particular two infamous episodes of the Super Mario Bros cartoon which I still remember to this day - one involved Koopa becoming macro ('Mario Meets Koopzilla') and the other involved the Mario Bros becoming micro ('Princess, I Shrunk the Marios!'). Both involved a fairly gratuitous amount of near-miss squishy action and a lot of talk about trying to flatten the Mario Bros. on King Koopa's part. It wasn't the only thing that suited the likes of us here at LD5 - there were also numerous episodes that involved shots of King Koopa treading on things and, of course, the infamous footlicking scene.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:18 pm 
Magnificent Bastard
RipRoarRex wrote:
Well I've undoubtedly strayed from Koopa's original limb proportions, because they're just too short and stubby for me, so I gave him slightly more Rexar-ish proportions but just chubbier. ... As much as I drew King Koopa in my style, the fundamental design itself is not of my creation. This is where the distinction needs to be made.

Oh, the distinction is there all right... that's likely what threw me off in the first place. Like I said before, the proportions are good... too good. You certainly make King Koopa look good, but I guess he appeals to me more when he's a bit more hunched over and... mostly torso. Or maybe not. It's one of those "grass is always greener on the other side" situations.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:40 pm 
Species: N/A
I didn't know that there were the cartoon of koopa. Maybe, it was only broadcasted in Europe and America.
Through the cartoon, I think the people of making this cartoon are crazy. :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:26 am 
I love footpaws!
Species: Silver western dragon
Crazy :down:
Genius :up:

Also, I love their feet, of course! ^^

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:03 am 
Blue Raptor
Species: anthro raptor
Crayzee is good! I am crazy! See how good that is?

Anyway, your version is the best RRRex.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:20 pm 
Species: Anthro tree sloth
Good pic there :) . And stompy! How'd I miss it? x.x

SP