Member Sites 
Faibanx MUCK
Artist Gallery
It is currently Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brian Griffin - The Beast Of Rhode Island
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:44 pm 
The Three 'aws - Paws, Claws and Jaws.
Hi folks - RipRoarRex rounding off my latest collection of uploads.

Good old Brian Griffin. He's never far away from my gallery these days, is he? :oops:

This is the fourth and final picture of my 'June 2012' batch, and it features Brian making a long overdue macro appearance. I had previously suggested a growth scenario for Brian in 2010's 'Road To The Macroverse' - and of course played with size differences in last year's 'Road To The Microverse' - but I thought it would be fun to see the big white doggy taking those chunky feet of his on a proper city rampage.

:lionstomp:

Of course, there's a reason why I don't often do full city rampage pictures. They're a PAIN IN THE ARSE.

:x

Anyone familiar with the real Rhode Island might realise that the city depicted in this picture is actually a rough approximation of Providence, RI - one of the real cities on which Quahog is based. I decided it would add an extra dimension to the picture, so I worked from a few aerial photos of the city to produce this setting, albeit by no means 100% accurate. In doing so however, I pretty much tripled the workload for the picture, not only facing the usual painstaking process of drawing a detailed city but trying to stay faithful to the landmarks and layout of a real life location. If it hadn't come out quite so nicely, I'd be wondering why the hell I'd even bothered.

Furthermore, in a break from my normal method, most of this picture was drawn with a tablet rather than pencil. In attempting to keep with the Family Guy cartoon style, I wanted to give the picture a digitally inked appearance. Brian was the only thing to be drawn out on paper, after which I used Adobe Illustrator's Live Trace to ink the scanned image. Everything else was drawn in PaintShop Photo Pro and later traced in Illustrator - an awkward and time-consuming process, but it seems to have worked reasonably well.

As for Brian himself, I pretty much had to improvise on the face, given that you don't often see him looking down like this! I didn't want to break too much from his Family Guy proportions, but I did want to make him look reasonably chunky and heavy - after all, he does make for a rather fun giant.

:stomp:

So that's the end of my latest batch of work. Hope you like all the pics - and whilst I can't promise any more will be forthcoming for a while, I can only say: Watch this space!

;)

--------------------

"Tonight on Channel Five News - a terrifying giant beast is rampaging through Rhode Island. Nobody knows quite where this colossal canine has come from, but there are rumours that he was seen bursting through the roof of a house in Spooner Street, Quahog.
"In other news, a baby with a strange head has reported the theft of a growth ray. Police say they still have no leads.
"And now sports. Ollie?..."

[Direct Link]

Attachment:
File comment: Brian Griffin - The Beast Of Rhode Island
BrianGriffinTheBeastOfRhodeIsland.jpg
BrianGriffinTheBeastOfRhodeIsland.jpg [ 503.12 KiB | Viewed 3918 times ]

RRRex

Post subject: Re: Brian Griffin - The Beast Of Rhode Island
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:38 pm 
Magnificent Bastard
This is why some folks take a helicopter-view photo of some major city and superimpose their art on top of it. But not you! No... you stick to your guns. Upholding your integrity, no matter the cost. Sanity? Who needs it? What we do need is a painstakingly detailed residential district!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:11 pm 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
Ollie: GAME-GOT-STOMPED!

Thanks, Ollie! ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:03 am 
Talking Tyrannosaur
Species: Tyrannosaurus
Yes, kudos for drawing it out instead of photomontaging.

DINOSAURS DON'T PHOTOMONTAGE

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:56 pm 
Blue Raptor
Species: anthro raptor
Yeay, full city rampages.
RipRoarRex wrote:
They're a PAIN IN THE ARSE.

Only when you sit on them. (And if they have lots of pointy buildings.) :P

I know how hard it is, but it worked very well with your style. Going with some photo is probably the best way to get a credible layout I realize. I always find it the hardest to decide where to put buildings in my city scenes.
I fail to appreciate most of the characters you use, but you hit them very well, going with the original facts and adding your attitude in a very convincing way.
And I like the style. And that cute city, that still conveys a very unique flair thanks to way you did it instead of putting grey blocks everywhere until you get bored of it, then just draw some crisscross lines near them and pretend it's streets, or doing one of these ugly photomontages, aka the usual (mega) macro attempts.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:54 am 
Sit back... enjoy the desert sun! <3
Species: Meerkat
YAY! Brian! :P

This looks awesome!!! :D I wonder what Stewie would think right now :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:58 am 
The Three 'aws - Paws, Claws and Jaws.
Sprotchymon wrote:
This is why some folks take a helicopter-view photo of some major city and superimpose their art on top of it. But not you! No... you stick to your guns. Upholding your integrity, no matter the cost. Sanity? Who needs it? What we do need is a painstakingly detailed residential district!

Yes! Of course! It might take hours of your life and frustrate you no end with finicky detailing, but at the end of the day, it's ultimately so much more satisfying when people then look at it and say...

"...er, dude... why didn't you just use a photo?"

:D Lol!

Besides, turns out it's more than just a residential district. It wasn't until I was reliably informed by somebody who is more than a little familiar with that particular impending-footprint area that I'd inadvertently drawn quite accurate representations of half the Brown University campus.

Well here's a Brit talking. I didn't even know Brown was in Providence...

:lol:

Dinosorceror wrote:
Ollie: GAME-GOT-STOMPED!

"Thanks Ollie. Now the weather. It will be raining. Raining BLOOD. HIDEOUS DENSE DOWNPOURS OF CRIMSON DEATH POURING OVER OUR HELPLESS HOMES AND HEADS FROM THE FILTHY, PUTRID SOLE OF OUR GIGANTIC CANINE KILLER.

:? ....

...er...

...Coming up next..."

*STOMP* :claw:

Diablo wrote:
Yes, kudos for drawing it out instead of photomontaging.

DINOSAURS DON'T PHOTOMONTAGE

NO. They DRAW.

I mean, it's a bit of a fiddle what with the tiny arms and all. But it's the PRINCIPLE, DAMN IT!

Heh! Thanks Diablo!

Blue wrote:
Yeay, full city rampages.
RipRoarRex wrote:
They're a PAIN IN THE ARSE.

Only when you sit on them. (And if they have lots of pointy buildings.) :P

I know how hard it is, but it worked very well with your style. Going with some photo is probably the best way to get a credible layout I realize. I always find it the hardest to decide where to put buildings in my city scenes.
I fail to appreciate most of the characters you use, but you hit them very well, going with the original facts and adding your attitude in a very convincing way.
And I like the style. And that cute city, that still conveys a very unique flair thanks to way you did it instead of putting grey blocks everywhere until you get bored of it, then just draw some crisscross lines near them and pretend it's streets, or doing one of these ugly photomontages, aka the usual (mega) macro attempts.

Yeah, I don't like them. In fact, I don't like any picture that just uses a photograph for the background. It's either art or a lazy collage. :|

(Just my opinion, of course! ;) )

Thanks Blue! Glad the effort was appreciated. As I mentioned above, turns out I drew a lot of stuff that Rhode Island 'locals' actually recognised, which kinda added to the fun!

:P

Laura_the_meerkat wrote:
YAY! Brian! :P

This looks awesome!!! :D I wonder what Stewie would think right now :lol:

Not sure whether he'd be terrified, in love with Brian or just enjoying the anarchy.

:D Lol! Thanks Laura!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:54 am 
Sit back... enjoy the desert sun! <3
Species: Meerkat
RipRoarRex wrote:
Not sure whether he'd be terrified, in love with Brian or just enjoying the anarchy.

:D Lol! Thanks Laura!

LOL!!! :lol: No problem! Can't wait for your next piece :D