Member Sites 
Faibanx MUCK
Artist Gallery
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Scooby-Doo - Fearless
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:28 pm 
The Three 'aws - Paws, Claws and Jaws.
Hi everyone, RipRoarRex nipping in with more artwork.

Yeah. That's right. I drew Scooby.

:D

I've always liked Scooby. I can't deny that when I used to watch Scooby-Doo as a kid, my mind might have wandered to thoughts of his big paws on more than one occasion. But I had never really ever given serious thought to drawing him until a recent conversation about 'guilty pleasure characters' on Eccentricities in which Scooby-Doo's name came up. Admitting therein that I was quite keen on the character, I suddenly found myself curious about whether I could draw Scooby - and receiving strong encouragement from certain folks to try it. conversation.

Of course, with a mind like mine, it doesn't take long for me to come up with a bunch of mischievous ideas for any character. And once I had with Scoob, I knew I needed to give it a try, especially because it seems the fandom is suffering from a severe deficit of giant heavy thumping Scooby feets.

:P

As ever with a character I've never drawn before, I started by spending several days doing lots of training sketches (some of which I will probably end up adding to a future Character Training Compilation in my FurAffinity Scraps) in order to familiarise myself with the character and the Hanna-Barbera style. Then I started working on the actual picture.

I have to say, I had great fun doing this piece. By my usual standards, it was a refreshingly quick and smooth process - I'd already finished the linework and coloured the scan within 24 hours of starting the exploratory sketches, then got all the shading done within a further 24 hours. Some of the proportions are not quite right (especially those back legs), the background is a classic lazy gradient copout, and the style isn't 100% faithful to the original. But I genuinely like it. It's one of those relatively few pieces of mine that actually makes me smile when I look at it. Not least for the amusingly cute-looking ghost about to be stomped.

And before you ask, yes, I will be drawing more of Scooby in future. No question. I enjoyed doing this and already have several other ideas I know I'd like to try at some point.

:)

--------------------

If only Scooby-Doo was bigger. He'd never fear any of those phony ghouls ever again.

[Direct Link]

Attachment:
File comment: Scooby-Doo - Fearless
ScoobyDooFearless.jpg
ScoobyDooFearless.jpg [ 295.65 KiB | Viewed 3510 times ]

RRRex

Post subject: Re: Scooby-Doo - Fearless
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:38 pm 
Magnificent Bastard
Zoinks! There must have been something funny in those Scooby Snacks! (cue canned laughter)

The background isn't a cop-out, if you compare it to any of their classic chase scenes. Talk about streaking! (cue canned laughter)

With your level of skill, who wouldn't say no to seeing a new character in your style? Other than meddling kids! (cue canned laughter)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:24 am 
Sprotchymon wrote:
Zoinks! There must have been something funny in those Scooby Snacks! (cue canned laughter)

The background isn't a cop-out, if you compare it to any of their classic chase scenes. Talk about streaking! (cue canned laughter)

With your level of skill, who wouldn't say no to seeing a new character in your style? Other than meddling kids! (cue canned laughter)

*shakes head* Laughter tracks on cartoons. Why. Just why...

Heh! Thanks Sprotchymon.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:24 am 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
And another dip into the "unusual" bucket...can always count on you for that, Rex! :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:05 am 
Dinosorceror wrote:
And another dip into the "unusual" bucket...can always count on you for that, Rex! :)

Is anything 'unusual' on LD5?

Apart from having a fear of slippers?

:slipper: :slipper: :slipper: :slipper:

:D

Thanks Dino!