Member Sites 
Faibanx MUCK
Artist Gallery
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anthros in the News: Political Cartoons
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:32 am 
Magnificent Bastard
By now y'all are familiar with my talent for calling up obscure sources of sprotchiness. In addition to that, for the past few months I've been gathering an archive of drawings that not only feature better depictions of anthro elephants than FA (on average) but are seen (and indeed, want to be seen) by thousands of folks who wouldn't consider themselves "furry" in the slightest! And you know how I love that Mainstream Bonus. If elephants and the occasional ungulate don't quite float your boat (or earn your vote) there's plenty of bears (russiarussiarussia) dinosaurs and dragons as well! Since there are a lot of politoonists out there, though the vailidity of their opinions varies as wildly as their artistic skill, they are extremely prolific. So expect this gallery to expand uncontrollably in the future, just like that greedy, bloated [INSERT DESPISED ORGANIZATION HERE]!

View the rest here!

Post subject: Re: Anthros in the News: Political Cartoons
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:10 am 
Species: A cat (obviously)
Oooh very nice! =D
That reminds me of a few other cartoons I've seen involving russian bears. =3

--> http://www.elinea.nl/files/images/tile/ ... 101013.jpg
--> http://www.elinea.nl/files/images/tile/ ... 221013.jpg
--> http://www.elinea.nl/files/images/tile/ ... 4_h714.jpg
--> http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-MYmYnY3ur5Y/U ... 120913.jpg

I seriously need to consider drawing some 'political' cartoons of my own. =P

Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:32 pm 
Magnificent Bastard
Thanks, Billy! That's exactly what I'm talking about. My knowledge of active cartoonists outside the U.S. is very limited, so every new perspective helps!
I've seen that one with the bear bursting into money before, but I don't have the context behind it.
Anyone can make editorial cartoons - the bar is set ridiculously low. Just don't go overboard on the labels or crosshatching (like Ramirez) and you're golden!
And since tomorrow is Easter... have a bunny!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:35 pm 
Magnificent Bastard
Hot off the freaking presses! With so many labels, it's hard to tell what's really going on here...
The economy is being choked by pollution caused by fossil fuel consumption. Govzilla is just trying to save the economy by stopping the pipeline.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:11 am 
Movie Monster
Species: Anthro Dragon
Much like in the majority of Godzilla films, I find myself in favor of the big guy in his political cartoons as well, apparently.

I'm just a sucker for Godzilla stomps, I guess. :angel:

Some of them can be quite baffling to interpret. I've been trying to figure out what that hard hat on his toe is supposed to mean. The Keystone pipeline doesn't go anywhere near West Virginia...

Anywho, politics makes me want to see things stomped so I guess it's a good fit. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:32 pm 
Magnificent Bastard
The White House recently approved a measure aiming to cut levels of allowable coal dust from 2.0mg to 1.5mg to prevent black lung. The announcement was made in West Virginia. That explains the hat I guess.

That research was easy. The hard part is finding more sprotchitoons! Here's one from July 2011:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:03 pm 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
Depression? Get it? :)

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:10 am 
Magnificent Bastard
Quote:
When I first looked at this, I was a bit puzzled since Bennett, a dude I know damn well believes in climate change, was depicting both climate change and the chief alternative as monsters. Then I realized why he chose the ones he chose.

Godzilla isn't just a big ol' monster, he's a direct cause of man's destructive tendencies, in this case nuclear testing. He's big, he's unstoppable and sooner or later you're going to have to face responsibility for it.

Frankenstein's Monster might look scary all done up in the Universal makeup, but he's a creature unfairly demonized by an unknowing and uncaring populace. He's also capable of a whole lot less destruction than Godzilla, but that's kind of obvious.

Seriously, Bennett is the master of metaphors. The guy can say a hell of a lot with just pictures in a medium where an artist's default status is hamhanded. His metaphors make sense too- it's a unique experience seeing a cartoon where Frankenstein doesn't symbolize some horrible abomination of science.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:31 am 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
Sprotchymon wrote:
Quote:
When I first looked at this, I was a bit puzzled since Bennett, a dude I know damn well believes in climate change, was depicting both climate change and the chief alternative as monsters. Then I realized why he chose the ones he chose.

Godzilla isn't just a big ol' monster, he's a direct cause of man's destructive tendencies, in this case nuclear testing. He's big, he's unstoppable and sooner or later you're going to have to face responsibility for it.

Frankenstein's Monster might look scary all done up in the Universal makeup, but he's a creature unfairly demonized by an unknowing and uncaring populace. He's also capable of a whole lot less destruction than Godzilla, but that's kind of obvious.

Seriously, Bennett is the master of metaphors. The guy can say a hell of a lot with just pictures in a medium where an artist's default status is hamhanded. His metaphors make sense too- it's a unique experience seeing a cartoon where Frankenstein doesn't symbolize some horrible abomination of science.

I guess I wasn't puzzled when I saw it, I thought it was clever as you have realized. I mean, global warming is a monstrous threat...I think you're too used to the meme of pretending it doesn't exist, and...that doesn't even make sense in this context. I think the metaphor of the Monster as nukepowah is very two-sided and apt. You can't deny that nuke has caused serious issues, but they were preventable, and at least some consider the benefits outweigh the bad.

I mean, seriously. I find it hard to believe that the American public can say, "Well, having that nukepile buried under the earth for a few million years is awful for the future of the planet!" while we actually have a company in Alaska that...I really wish I were joking...wishes to build a gigantic lake of sulfuric acid and toxins in a remote part of Alaska...right next to the prime salmon breeding area for, like, the whole state...just to get some gold:

"That waste rock material, along with allowed discharge chemicals, would be stored (forever) in two artificial lakes behind massive earthen dams. The largest of the dams containing these lakes would be 740 feet (230 m) tall and 4.3 miles (6.9 km) long."

Shit, at least the nuke-kruft has a fucking half-life! :)

LET'S GET MORE OFF TOPIC