Faibanx MUCK
Artist Gallery
It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fixed All My Artwork
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:00 am 
The Three 'aws - Paws, Claws and Jaws.
Hi guys, RipRoarRex here.

I have recently discovered a problem with viewing my artwork. Click here to see the relevant journal (and those that preceded it).

Basically my monitor has been calibrated to display things too dark for well over a year now, meaning all my artwork has been appearing on everyone else's screens far brighter than I originally intended it to look, damaging its tonal and blending quality. I have now gone through my entire gallery and adjusted everything accordingly.

Example of the changes:

As I say in the journal, some may dislike these changes either because you had become familiar with my brighter style (which wasn't actually intended) or because you have your monitor calibrated similarly to mine before yesterday so that everything shows up too dark.

If you don't like it now and think it's too dark, try the test in this journal to find out whether you are actually seeing the changes as intended.

Comments appreciated on either side anyway.

RRRex

Post subject: Re: Fixed All My Artwork
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:05 pm 
Magnificent Bastard
The big difference on my end doesn't seem to be brightness so much as the boost in contrast. Not all areas appear darkened equally, so you must have saved all the layers of each digitally colored piece instead of using a single slider for the whole piece. Again, that must have taken hours.

In any case, I can dig it!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:28 pm 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
I'd agree with that...it's a higher level of contrast. Either way, there's sexy toes! ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:11 am 
Blue Raptor
Species: anthro raptor
Both are sexy. I didnt mind the brighter look though, it makes dtails easier to see, and maybe I just like the playful cartoonish style. The shadowy look may be more realistic, but after all its linedraw art, and big black lines are not realistic either. :)
I can only assume you liked your pics to look more sinister and dooming than how they appeared before.

(On a sidenote, try not to worry about other people's monitor settings at least. I found the Faibanx logo paw looks rather mid-bright poison green on some other monitors instead of the pleasant juicy dark hint-of-olive cartoon dino green it was supposed to be, too. Trust me, I know being nitpicky and it greatly annoyed me, but I cannot retune my images to look right on someone else's screen. All monitors are different anyway and most non-crt ones I saw suck at getting colors right greatly.)

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:30 pm 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
And whatever you do, do NOT get Khith started on discussing his current LCD monitor fetish. He can go on for days. ;)

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:35 am 
Sprotchymon wrote:
The big difference on my end doesn't seem to be brightness so much as the boost in contrast. Not all areas appear darkened equally, so you must have saved all the layers of each digitally colored piece instead of using a single slider for the whole piece. Again, that must have taken hours.

Heh! In actual fact, not at all! The only graphic setting I actually altered was the gamma - not brightness, contrast or saturation - which highlights just how much midtone shading detail was being lost. Plus, I simply corrected the gamma on each flat JPEG image (single layer), so combined with the use of keyboard shortcuts, I was able to correct each image within only about 3 or 4 seconds. What did take hours however was editing every single submission in my FA gallery and reworking many of the links on my site; many of the original images on my site were actually PNGs, and having saved all the gamma-corrected versions as JPEGs, I had to go through and alter each incorrect link accordingly.

Glad to know you think it was all worth it though, mate. Thanks very much. ;)

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:39 am 
Blue wrote:
Both are sexy. I didnt mind the brighter look though, it makes dtails easier to see, and maybe I just like the playful cartoonish style. The shadowy look may be more realistic, but after all its linedraw art, and big black lines are not realistic either. :)
I can only assume you liked your pics to look more sinister and dooming than how they appeared before.

Heh - "more sinister and dooming" is one way of putting it I suppose, though personally I just feel it's more 'realistic' rather than anything else. Granted my cartoon style places limits on how real the picture can be, but I've always tried to make the colouring as smooth and rich in tonal range as possible.

I've known that it would divide reaction with those who preferred the brighter style, so sorry to disappoint ya on that front, Blue. But hope it doesn't spoil them too much for ya.

;)

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 12:45 pm 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
I think you also need the Blue(tm) award for your obsessive compulsiveness, Rex, for going through and taking hours to tweak the gamma on every since piece of graphical stuff you've ever made. ;) Does that mean you actually redid the "Welcome to LD5" picture as well? Damn. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:52 am 
Dinosorceror wrote:
I think you also need the Blue(tm) award for your obsessive compulsiveness, Rex, for going through and taking hours to tweak the gamma on every since piece of graphical stuff you've ever made. ;) Does that mean you actually redid the "Welcome to LD5" picture as well? Damn. :)

Heh - well as I said before, it didn't really take me all that long to actually edit the pictures, only a few seconds each. But yes, I did edit that one too.

;)

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:43 pm 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
In that case, can you make a version that's as bit as the green claw on the front page now? It drives Blue crazy that that claw is on both sides of the welcome text, so it would help ease his insanity if we had your stompyart to place there instead. :)