Legacy LD5

Forum/Website Through 2017
About Us 
Member Sites 
Faibanx MUCK
Artist Gallery
It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: my first dragonpaw (unfinished)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:06 pm 
Species: Dragon
I drew this with: Microsoft Paint + PC mouse.

I'm thinking if I want to buy a graphics tablet. therefore I have painted the picture. <-buy one or not?
To the Pro Artist : I have talent? I have to practice yet? or learn?
A graphics tablet is expensive. so please serious opinion.

(i hope you understand my english ...im from Germany)

Attachments:
PAW.JPG
PAW.JPG [ 60.95 KiB | Viewed 2809 times ]

Post subject: Re: my first dragonpaw (unfinished)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:14 pm 
Magnificent Bastard
Great start! Good skill! Save as PNG, not JPG! In fact, avoid MS Paint entirely if you can help it. The GNU Image Manipulation Program has many more features, makes less fuzzy JPG files, and is free.

Trouble with computer art hardware is, you get what you pay for. If you already have a scanner, you could try starting with standard pen and paper, then adding color, shading and other effects after scanning. Discussion of pros and cons between a tablet and a wireless pen-shaped mouse is found here.

Oh, and before I forget... welcome to Da Dome!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:35 pm 
Talking Tyrannosaur
Species: Tyrannosaurus
Welcome to LD5! That's very well done, especially considering you used a PC mouse for it.

I think you should only buy a tablet if you enjoy drawing by hand. Do you draw on paper much, or do you mostly use Paint for your artwork? If you draw a lot, then a tablet would be a good thing to buy. Personally, I use a tablet and I've never looked back, but as Sprotchy says, it's a lot more expensive to buy a tablet than to simply draw on paper and then scan / take a digital photo of that paper!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:31 am 
Blue Raptor
Species: anthro raptor
Diablo loves it because it has pads. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:30 am 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
I've got at least one tablet laying around I'd be happy to donate to the cause. :) Yes, you absolutely have talent...but, of course, just about everyone does. It's all about the time you devote to it and the dedication. I've seen arr-teests with openings less impressive than yours work on their art for years until it's where they're happy with it. Like with any other skill, it's all about becoming familiar with rather basic principles and then using them as you see fit.

Hey, look at me! I'm an art teacher! :slipper: :slipper:

Anyway, one last bit of advice: get out of the habit of asking others if they think you're good enough. You should be doing art because YOU want to do it, because YOU have a need to express smexy paw art to paw off to. :) It would be about this time that I'd show you all some of the macro paw art I myself did as a teenager, but I'm pretty sure it's lost to the four winds. What was different about me is that I didn't give a crap about pursuing it myself, so it never went anywhere.

No, wait, I guess to go along with Diablo, I do have one more bit of advice. If you do enjoy working with pencils, pen and paper, then lots of arr-teests do like to draw their line art in the Real World(tm) and then scan it in and color it on the 'pooter. However, there are still plenty of examples of all-digital artists as well, and you might well look into the investment into a tablet as saving lots of money on real world supplies if you're just as comfortable with working with a plastic stylus on a tablet.

And yes, since you're from Raptorland and Engrish is not your first language, I will make this clear: yes, I am offering to send you a tablet for free, 'cause I have some around. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:30 pm 
Species: Black Ice-Demon Dragon
Free tablets? O.=.o NO WAI....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:19 pm 
Species: Dragon
ESC was right, I want no graphic tablet free. I'm learning first with pencil and paper before I buy one.
Thank you :D . but I have a guilty conscience, when I get a gift. :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:36 pm 
Species: Black Ice-Demon Dragon
Dawww.....and welcome to Lava Dome Five. :)

It is good to try everything on pencil and paper first because you get to feel how the stuff works. And I have a spare tablet too.... >.=.>

By the way, I <3 Germans.... :3~