Legacy LD5

Forum/Website Through 2017
About Us 
Member Sites 
Faibanx MUCK
Artist Gallery
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Great Weesaur's Ghost(tm!)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:27 pm 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
Well, after Blue started making his Slipperlife game, it got me...well, jealous. He's all on a roll with working on Slipperlife, even though he's got like two other things to work on. Why? Because he saw Slipperlife as an easy win. He didn't have to do as much graphics, the programming was pretty straightforward, and I thought...gee. I remember when I worked on Faibanx 3D (then called Stomp Stomp Devastation) with Blitz3D, and it was just...eeeeasy, and that's what made me develop for it.

So, I've dusted off the old Blitz project files, a model display demo where you can fly around, find little hidden bits, and make models shrink or grow. And what's even nicer is that if you have a 3D model in .3ds format, you can just put it in the directory, edit an .INI file, and bingo, it's in the simulation.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to chug along with Blitz3D...if so, maybe get an add-on better 3D engine...or switch over to DarkBASIC Professional like I was gonna years ago. (And yes, this program was made in 2003.) Blitz3D just uses DirectX 7.0 capabilities, where as DBPro uses the latest and greatest for pre-Vista users, DirectX 9.0c. Naturally, since I don't intend on ever moving to Vista and would rather use my Mac or a Linux box, and will stay with Windows XP 64-bit for my Windows needs, I have no desire in developing for DirectX 10. </rant>

So what I've done is re-compiled the EXE using the latest available Blitz3D, and here it is again, for all to wonder over. Wow, it looks crappy by today's standards, but some of the models (like the Wargreymon model) look good from a distance. Oh, that's right. There's a bunch of Digimon, some furs, and even a weesaur hidden between toes (try and find 'em!). The 'weirder' looking models with jagged bits and orbiting kruft are actually digitized. They were real 3D items, toys, that I took a bunch of pictures of, and myself and slaves used a program to turn them into 3D models. A lot of fun memories, firing this turd up again.

Anyway, just looking at the code and how simple it is to do this kinda stuff in Blitz...makes me wanna pick up the project again. Get some decent models, update the few I have around, and it could really be something. I have a feeling that I'll make the jump to DBPro, though, unless something overcomes me and I become a Real Man(tm) and use C++ with some libraries, but I'm really not seeing a warranted performance advantage there, nor a lack of capability.

Anyway, here it is, to have fun with. Word of advice -- left click once the sim starts to get un-stuck, and jot down those goofy controls...however did I decide on them? :)

http://www.lavadomefive.com/SSD.7z

Post subject: Re: Great Weesaur's Ghost(tm!)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:35 pm 
Blubber Dragon
Species: Blubber Dragon
Sounds amusing. ^^ And which program do we need to open this .7z file?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:39 pm 
3-Headed Troublemaker
Species: 3-headed dragon
That'd be 7-Zip, I think.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:26 am 
Species: Tuatara
win rar will do

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:01 am 
Blubber Dragon
Species: Blubber Dragon
Win rar it is. ^^

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:07 am 
Blue Raptor
Species: anthro raptor
Rar.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:40 pm 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Hey, I actually found my DarkBASIC Professional stuff, so now I just might buy some of the newer enhancement packs to get all the latest bells and whistles and give it a shot again. Converting the existing Blitz project to DBPro shouldn't be that difficult.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:24 am 
Species: Tuatara
Yeah, I will have to help myself with cane when walking, before that thing is halfway done ;p

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:49 am 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Hey, I'm getting there! I've got all the DB Pro updated and I'll start working on an updated model walkthrough (hopefully with some physics fun) pretty darned soon! Jealousy is a powerful too, but sloth is as well, so it is a battle still. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:17 pm 
Species: Black Ice-Demon Dragon
Awesome stuff, Dino!

I can't WAIT until you're finished.

But are you ok doing it alone?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:24 pm 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Oh, I won't be doing it alone. I will be conning lots of people into helping me. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:41 am 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Well, I just cleaned out the garage here at LD5 and came across about a dozen hard drives, all with various scraps that I have been accumulating over the years for Faibanx 3D...models, animations, sounds, music, textures, utilities...the lot. I'm starting to pile it all up and go through it, so in the near future I'll be making a special FTP site for showing all this stuff off.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:24 am 
One Really Big Wolf
Species: Ludicrusly Large Lupine
I forgot how to add myself to this, I did it before, but forgot how I did it.

- W -
* Meh *

Attachments:
File comment: Woulfe texture file
Woulfe.jpg
Woulfe.jpg [ 47.99 KiB | Viewed 6768 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:19 am 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Thanks, Woulfe. :) I'll add this to the pile! Recently, I bought another laptop (because I'm insane) and futzed with it forever to get it set up the way I wanted, and I spend the past couple of days going over F3D resources on it. Got all the textures sorted through, about halfway done the models now. I'm basically going through alllll those media CD's from 3D and graphics mags I've been collecting in these years I really haven't been working on the game much. Now all I need to do is decide on a standard format to use and start converting, and then throw together another model demo.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:21 pm 
Species: Black Ice-Demon Dragon
Oooh! I'm gawna wuv you fur dat! ^_^

*nuzzles and smothers little Dino*