Faibanx MUCK
Artist Gallery
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: computer RPGs with furry characters
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:23 am 
Blue Raptor
Species: anthro raptor
Well I had that idea that I should make a reference of role playing games where you can play furry characters, or that has some maybe, for people that feel like playing one. And of course review those so people check if the game is like what they are looking for, or rather not.
Also, I like tables and colored bars.

Since the forum bbcode thing could not handle it well, I maded a webpage.

http://download.lavadomefive.com/member ... mpare.html

It's not very long yet and has not been properly proof-read. And no, it does not have MMOs.

Post subject: Re: computer RPGs with furry characters
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:57 am 
Magnificent Bastard
Fantastic concept, but why limit it to CRPGs? Feels like an Overly Narrow Superlative to me.

For content, Saints Row The Third gives you a basic two-piece fursuit among the myriad clothing options, which persist throughout all cutscenes and can be seen on a small percentage of pedestrians throughout the game.

And then of course... there's Overgrowth.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 4:16 pm 
Species: A cat (obviously)
Don't forget that with Morrowind you can create your own characters as well. Like the infamous Moogle Mod (damn those paws are big). X3

I agree that RPG games in which you can play as Furry characters are quite scarse... mostly those games are designed for people who wish to play as a strong, muscular, heterosexual, white, man... eg. The 'heteronormative' representation of our everyday culture. =P

As for pc and console games that aren't exactly Rpg's but star furry characters, there are quite a lot:
- Inherit the Earth: Quest for the Crystal Orb. - Adventure Game - MS-DOS/Amiga -
- Captain Claw - Action Platform - Windows -
- Nikita and the Mystery of the Hidden Treasure - Action Platform - Windows -
- Neopets: The Darkest Fearie. - Action Adventure - Playstation 2 -
- Legend of Kay - Action Adventure - Playstation 2 -
- Kingsley's Adventure - Action Adventure - Playstation 1 -

Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:45 am 
Blue Raptor
Species: anthro raptor
Sprotchymon wrote:
Fantastic concept, but why limit it to CRPGs? Feels like an Overly Narrow Superlative to me.

Because in pen & paper RPGs the amount and greatness of furry content depends only on the game master. Even if there was one especially made to have furry characters, it would still depend on the GM, like every other aspect of that RPG and its gaming experience do too.
They can't be rated nor be compared with video RP games.
Nor can be games from other genres, if that was the question.

I will try to check out the mentioned games and might add them as blank non-reviewed entries when I have time. But it was all just some idea I had anyway.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:25 am 
Movie Monster
Species: Anthro Dragon
I'm not sure what the defining factor is gonna be for this - I was gonna say characters you can create, but Mass Effect is on the list. Anyway I know this one will count so I'm going with it. Wizardry 8. This is one of my favorites. It's a kind of fantasy/sci-fi hybrid world, and mainly centers around dealing with the different races and factions on a planet. The end goal is pretty simple, though - "The ultimate aim of the game is to collect three artifacts and to place each on its pedestal in the final zone. This allows ascension to the Cosmic Circle, where the player becomes a god." (Wikipedia) It's not the most complicated of stories, but the NPC interaction offers kind of the meat of it.

Wizardry 8 has these races:
Dracon - Awesome dragon dudes.
Lizardmen - Awesome lizard dudes.
Mook - Kinda indefinable furry aliens.
Felpurr - Awesome cat dudes.
Rawulf - Awesome wolf dudes.

In addition there are other races that you can encounter, such as rat and rhino anthros. Some of them are recruitable to your party in extra character slots. MUCH better and more diverse character portraits than Legend of Grimrock, in my opinion.

Some portraits:
ImageImageImageImage

And here you can see the breadth of customization options:

There are a full 18 male and 18 female voices you can give to a character. Of course, this is mainly just for flavor, but I think it adds a little something to hear your dragon guy crack wise after a battle. Similar games tend to offer no voice, or more limited choices.

And I'm too tired to get to talk about it, but Wizardry 7 is pretty all right too:

:D

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:16 pm 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
I was really liking Wizardry 8 for the lil' I played it back in the day. I need to fire it up again. SOON

We have a Selendro?

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:01 pm 
Movie Monster
Species: Anthro Dragon
Dinosorceror wrote:
I was really liking Wizardry 8 for the lil' I played it back in the day. I need to fire it up again. SOON

We have a Selendro?

Rising up like Godzilla out of the sea...

Hopefully.

Another game that I ended up just being reminded of is a Japanese Wizardry-like by the name of Elminage. I remember thinking the game had really cool art many years ago when it came out on PS2 in Japan, but it never came out here. Just found out a version did finally get released on the PSP/Vita through the PSN. I don't even know if the game is any good, but it fits with the topic at hand. At least it has pretty pictures to look at.

Enemies:
ImageImage

Playable Races (Furries n' scalies):
ImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:47 am 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
Selendro wrote:
Dinosorceror wrote:

We have a Selendro?

Rising up like Godzilla out of the sea...

Hopefully.

Another game that I ended up just being reminded of is a Japanese Wizardry-like by the name of Elminage. I remember thinking the game had really cool art many years ago when it came out on PS2 in Japan, but it never came out here. Just found out a version did finally get released on the PSP/Vita through the PSN. I don't even know if the game is any good, but it fits with the topic at hand. At least it has pretty pictures to look at.

Enemies:
ImageImage

Playable Races (Furries n' scalies):
ImageImageImageImage

Hey, that looks like a game that actually cares about scaly characters, not just one added "for token value". I do have a bunch of haxxor'd PSP's, even a lil' Go...I'll have to look for Elminage.