Artist Gallery
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: League 13 - a new Blue insanity
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:15 am 
Blue Raptor
Species: anthro raptor
The League 13

The newest insanity I came up with, League 13 this is the funky name for a new variant to play our beloved game City of Heroes/Villains. It's sort of a mod, so to speak, and focuses on the good, plain and calm way of playing the game at a low level, namely level 13.

The rules:
- You stay level 13 by turning off gaining XP when you hit level 13.

Why?
Well because it is fun. Not that hectic 10-attacks 20-toggles 30-temp powers buff spamming supersped madness, but the good old plain low level fun forever. Because I love that low level gaming. I recently did a sewer team and realized I didnt even mind only using my level3 powers all the time until we had leveled up to ten (but not seen the trainer). And I think it can be very interesting, partly because even two characters that have the same powersets can be very distinct because you can NOT have all the at least mildly useful powers of your sets anyway, but have to decide on which to take and which not.
May that get totally boring? Perhaps. But I'd like to try it.

Why 13?
Of course you got to have SOME powers, or there is no character to build at all. At 12 you have 6 powers to choose in addition to your starting two (and the ones everyone gets that you may be QUITE happy about at such a low level still!), which is enough to allow a decent combat usefulness and add a slight personal note to it. So its >= 12. That also means you can slot level 15 Enhancements. You also need a few slots so you can have like 4 in your attack powers and still have one or two spare, so we add 13 to get 2 more slots. At 13 you also dont have to worry about travel powers. If it was 14, you could have a travel power, but for that you'd have to take the prerequisite power too, in which case you have one totally free power choices less than at 13. I'd rather forbid travel powers then, as if some have them, all have to have them, or those that have them are fast and annoyed and those that dont are slow and angry that they are not fast. And since we then have a new power you'll want slots for and the cool bonus effects that low levels get so that they dont die immediately and can hit something at all slowly wear off, It'd rather be 15, so you can have 2 more slots too. Yet at 15 you cant get enhancements that are 3 levels above you unless you find a level 16, 17 or 18, which you cant buy normally. And the low level bonus wears off even more. The next level where you get level+3 enhancements easily again would be 17, and by then all the low level cuteness is gone and everyone is already in really bad need of Stamina without the ability to get it.
So its 13.
For now. Until someone finds something better or 13 is total crap. :)
13 is cute and low level and can have 15+ enhancements for full low-level-buffed effect.

The rules:
  - You stay level 13 by turning off gaining XP when you hit level 13.

The requests:
  - Get as many contacts as you can. Turn off XP when you threaten to outlevel a character before he introduces you to a new one.
  - Get the Raptor Pack from the first bank mission. Keep in mind you wont have proper travel powers.

The recommendations:
  - Get the tutorial zone badge from the start if you want it, as accessing Orouboros will be very hard or even impossible.
  - Turn off XP at level 9 until your contacts are out of missions / gave you all new contacts.
  - Try to have contacts at convenient locations for buying inspirations or selling stuff to.
  - Run a bank mission to get another contact if you want to have a certain one.
  - Try to decide from the start which powers and slots you want and which you'd rather leave out.
  - You might want to use a hero builder (like Mids' Hero Designer) to plan your character.

So whoever wants to try it, plan and build yourself an appropriate level 13 character, on Triumph on hero side for now I assume, and we'll see what fun it will be. Maybe this Saturday (=Crackton day) already.

Post subject: Re: League 13 - a new Blue insanity
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:42 pm 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
You know...I hate to say it, but I really didn't read past the part where it said "you stay level 13." Sorry, Blue. :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:47 pm 
Magnificent Bastard
If I could somehow convert experience gained into standard currency, I would gladly apply this to every mumorpurger I play. Why bother level grinding when there's always going to be hundreds of folks stronger than you, and it just takes longer each time?

Apart from that, the concept of freezing a character's experience level is quite novel... if only it didn't go completely against the standard mechanics of the genre.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:45 am 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Well, I'll say this much, it can't last that long. If you freeze at 13, you'll run out of stuff to do pretty quickly and your gameplay experience on that character would be pretty short. I almost read his plan this time around, but I'm still not seeing his hidden agenda for wanting people to not have travel powers or ever complete the game. :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:53 pm 
Blue Raptor
Its not that much different from the 'normal' game actually.
Just everyone is level 13 and has 8 distinctive powers instead of level 50 and having 24.
Its not like leveling to 50 was something that takes longer than a week anymore if you really want it to happen fast.
The difference is just that you have and need less powers, the pace is slower, and the Council you fight are still soldiers and not all supermutant-werewolf-alien-vampire-italian-nazis*.
Sure there is somewhat less content, as end game content is more tailored to be endlessly repeatable, and you can go back in time and do all the missions you should have played when you were the appropriate level but didnt and get stripped of all your newer powers then and have no idea anymore how to play the character properly with those that remain. But there is endless Mission Architect content e.g. if all the arcs are played through and there is no team doing higher level stuff to join and bank missions and badge hunting get boring.

*I am not making this up!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:59 am 
Species: Tuatara
Should make you a president for that, Blue

*applause*

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:34 am 
Blue Raptor
Well, it wasnt all that popular as it seems, so we continued duking it out at 50 in all spamminess.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:41 am 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
*cheers!*

*hides*

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:55 am 
Species: Tuatara
Blue wrote:
Well, it wasnt all that popular as it seems, so we continued duking it out at 50 in all spamminess.

thats because people have no sense of fun! :p