Member Sites 
Faibanx MUCK
Artist Gallery
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: World News: 8.9 Earthquake/Tsunami Combo in Japan
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:00 am 
Magnificent Bastard
It's like every Godzilla flick thrown together... without the monsters.

In all seriousness, this is disaster on a scale that transcends sarcastic remarks or political bias.
The Associated Press wrote:
TOKYO — A powerful tsunami spawned by the largest earthquake in Japan's recorded history slammed the eastern coast Friday, sweeping away boats, cars, homes and people as widespread fires burned out of control. Tsunami warnings blanketed the entire Pacific, as far away as South America, Canada, Alaska and the entire U.S. West Coast.

Southwest Florida will not be affected by the tsunami because it will stay in the pacific, said Tyler Fleming of the National Weather Service.

Authorities said at least 32 people were killed. The magnitude 8.9 offshore quake was followed by at least 19 aftershocks, most of them of more than magnitude 6.0. Dozens of cities and villages along a 1,300-mile (2,100-kilometer) stretch of coastline were shaken by violent tremors that reached as far away as Tokyo, hundreds of miles (kilometers) from the epicenter.

A utility company in northeastern Japan reported a fire in a turbine building of nuclear power plant.

"The earthquake has caused major damage in broad areas in northern Japan," Prime Minister Naoto Kan said at a news conference.

Even for a country used to earthquakes, this one was of horrific proportions. It unleashed a 23-foot (7-meter) tsunami that swept boats, cars, buildings and tons of debris miles inland.

Large fishing boats and other sea vessels rode high waves into the cities, slamming against overpasses. Upturned and partially submerged vehicles were seen bobbing in the water.

Waves of muddy waters swept over farmland near the city of Sendai, carrying buildings, some on fire, inland as cars attempted to drive away. Sendai airport, north of Tokyo, was inundated with cars, trucks, buses and thick mud deposited over its runways. Fires spread through a section of the city, public broadcaster NHK reported.

The tsunami roared over embankments, washing anything in its path inland before reversing directions and carrying the cars, homes and other debris out to sea. Flames shot from some of the houses, probably because of burst gas pipes.

"Our initial assessment indicates that there has already been enormous damage," Chief government spokesman Yukio Edano said. "We will make maximum relief effort based on that assessment."

http://www.news-press.com/article/20110311/NEWS01/110311001/1085/NEWS0110/Dozens-killed-after-8-9-Japan-quake-U-S-West-Coast-under-tsunami-warning
RAVENCLAW ARE YOU OKAY??

Post subject: Re: World News: 8.9 Earthquake/Tsunami Combo in Japan
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:39 am 
Movie Monster
Species: Anthro Dragon
I hope so.

I have a friend in Japan, and this news revealed to me that I don't know the specifics of geography very well, but he sent me an e-mail saying he was all right. I guess he lives in Kagawa and it wasn't affected too much.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:40 pm 
Species: Tuatara
He said he was going to Tokyo today...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:42 pm 
Snufftastic Raptor!
Species: Half-Demon Deinonychus
I mailed him when I got up today, but so far no reply. :/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:51 am 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
Crap, I forgot all about RavenClaw being there...! Sure hope we hear something soon.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:27 am 
Species: N/A
Dragons can fly, you know. :)

Actually the magnitude was 9.0, and I was in a park when the earthquike occured. Everyone in the park was unable to stand when began to quake brutaly as if there were a few Godzilla are dancing. And several aftershock occured until the next morning. All of the TV programs got changed to Japanese emergency broadcast system.
My schedule has been screwed up due to this earthquake, and I have to go to Tokyo again in a few days.

Well, thank you for your concern!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:03 am 
Blubber Dragon
Species: Blubber Dragon
Good to hear you're alright. ^^ Now lets hope the nuclear technicians can get all those reactors back under control. They're looking at possible meltdowns in two reactors already. :/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:31 am 
Snufftastic Raptor!
Species: Half-Demon Deinonychus
Whew, good to know that you are okay! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:25 am 
Yeah I saw that on the news. Thank goodness your ok! Hopefully everyone else is too!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:29 pm 
The Three 'aws - Paws, Claws and Jaws.
Good to hear you're safe, RavenClaw!

On a sidenote, I actually read an article two days before the quake about there being an unusually large full moon in the next few days - the article mentioned a disputed theory that says years where the moon is so close to Earth have often seen big quakes, tsunamis etc... Think there might be some truth in that?

:shock:

Thoughts go out to folks out there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:04 am 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
Dunno about it being a 'full' moon, but it's pretty obvious even to laymen that the moon has a serious gravitational pull on us, enough to give us tides, so if you ax me, it's certainly a possibility it can be the tipping point in vulnerable crust points, but I'd wager there's a wiki somewhere with perhaps better scienticians to say if there's a difference between tidal pull and magma/crust pull. I mean, I'm pretty sure the land masses don't flex like the tides do, or we'd see variable GPS readings. Still, a pull is a pull and something, sometime has to "give"...

Very glad to hear from you, RavenClaw! I know LD5 isn't exactly a high priority in people's lives...as in life or death...but thanks for taking the time to let us know you're okay! :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:15 am 
Species: Black Ice-Demon Dragon
Alright, who mooned the earth this time? *wags my finger at people* :x

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:32 am 
Draconian Warrior
Species: Draconian
I'm relieved to know that you're OK, RavenClaw. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:20 am 
The Three 'aws - Paws, Claws and Jaws.
Dinosorceror wrote:
Dunno about it being a 'full' moon, but it's pretty obvious even to laymen that the moon has a serious gravitational pull on us, enough to give us tides, so if you ax me, it's certainly a possibility it can be the tipping point in vulnerable crust points, but I'd wager there's a wiki somewhere with perhaps better scienticians to say if there's a difference between tidal pull and magma/crust pull. I mean, I'm pretty sure the land masses don't flex like the tides do, or we'd see variable GPS readings. Still, a pull is a pull and something, sometime has to "give"...

Oh absolutely, it's not related to the fullness of the moon, only the proximity - but that theory isn't what the article was primarily about. I only mention fullness because the article was essentially saying "the next full moon's gonna be extra big, so go have a looksee."

;)

But yes, even within that article, it says the theory is disputed.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:08 am 
Blue Raptor
Species: anthro raptor
Good to hear you are well so far.
Those reactors over there don't look good from here though. :worried:
Please don't be anywhere near, or get caught in Tokyo if winds carry fallout there and the city panics as people stuck there try to get away but can't with the damaged infrastructure...
Not trying to be a dino rider of the apocalypse here, just saying.