Member Sites 
Faibanx MUCK
Artist Gallery
It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sonic Boom
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:16 pm 
The Three 'aws - Paws, Claws and Jaws.
Hi guys, RipRoarRex dropping by - how've you all been?

:)

Yeah, it's been a while again. I started a postgraduate course at university in October which has basically eaten all my time since the Family Guy animation back in September, but I'm hoping to get some more work done now I'm on my Christmas holidays.

As such, here's me trying to get the festive period off to a productive start with a Sonic the Hedgehog picture that has been on my 'to-do list' for some time. I can't actually remember how long ago I started sketching this, but only since finishing my first term at university have I found the time to resume work on it. Thankfully, Sonic's simplistic styling makes him fairly easy to draw (albeit with some minor issues with the anatomy from this perspective) so I was able to get the drawing finished and coloured within 24 hours.

Ironically it was December 2010 when I last drew Sonic, so hopefully one year on there are some improvements. This is however the first time I've drawn him barefoot; something which a number of people have asked me about since last year. I'm still not hugely confident with drawing 5-toed feet, though I think this is one of my best efforts at doing so to date.

No need for too much further blah anyway - with any luck this will be the first of a few pieces over the next couple of weeks before the new term, motivation and January exam revision time permitting!

;)

------------------------

So you don't know what a Sonic boom is? Stay still and you'll soon find out...

:devil:

Attachment:
File comment: SonicBoom
SonicBoom.jpg
SonicBoom.jpg [ 133.22 KiB | Viewed 2864 times ]

RRRex

Post subject: Re: Sonic Boom
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:23 am 
Talking Tyrannosaur
Species: Tyrannosaurus
Wow, what an intriguing divergence in style from your norm, RRR! As with your other cartoon characters, you did a great job depicting sonic so faithfully and accurately and that perspective looks absolutely fine from my point of view!

If I was forced, under threat of fatal raptor trampling, to make a criticism, it would be that Sonic looks a little too low down in the frame there, but that only gives the equally appealing impression that the foot's low down on an outstretched leg rather than high up on a bent one - a careful, humiliating step rather than a high, powerful stomp.

Groovy work!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:29 pm 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
Aren't all stomps humiliating? :) But yeah, I agree, I know what you mean. :) :ninastomp:

Nice to see you around again for a visit from orbit, Rex. :) I'm sorta in a medium orbit myself with the way stuff's been going in RL. Plan on spending some quality Dome time for the hollow-daze. :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:20 am 
The Three 'aws - Paws, Claws and Jaws.
Diablo wrote:
Wow, what an intriguing divergence in style from your norm, RRR! As with your other cartoon characters, you did a great job depicting sonic so faithfully and accurately and that perspective looks absolutely fine from my point of view!

If I was forced, under threat of fatal raptor trampling, to make a criticism, it would be that Sonic looks a little too low down in the frame there, but that only gives the equally appealing impression that the foot's low down on an outstretched leg rather than high up on a bent one - a careful, humiliating step rather than a high, powerful stomp.

Groovy work!

"Forced, under threat of fatal raptor trampling"? That's not being forced!! :x

:lol: Heh!

I had drawn Sonic higher in the earlier sketches, but it looked too much like his leg had no length. Given that I've always generally considered Sonic to have quite long legs, I basically shifted his torso down and moved the foot up to create that length. In doing so though, I think it removes the ability to interpret the leg as being outstretched, so I'm not too sure whether I'd agree with this particular point of critique.

Thanks anyway, mate!

Dinosorceror wrote:
Aren't all stomps humiliating? :) But yeah, I agree, I know what you mean. :) :ninastomp:

Nice to see you around again for a visit from orbit, Rex. :) I'm sorta in a medium orbit myself with the way stuff's been going in RL. Plan on spending some quality Dome time for the hollow-daze. :)

Heh - yes, I would like to as well, though probability suggests I'll be limited to another fleeting visit given I have so many relatives visiting over the holidays. :roll:

Still, nice to see you, and thanks!