Member Sites 
Faibanx MUCK
Artist Gallery
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Knuckles - Red Mist
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:43 pm 
The Three 'aws - Paws, Claws and Jaws.
Hi everyone - RipRoarRex returns, with more art! (I know, it's bizarre!)

:lol:

I've come to the conclusion that this picture is cursed.

Why? Because in the process of me producing it, my mum has seen it. TWICE.

:shock:

Given how it is well-documented that I have always kept my 'quirks' secret from my family and friends, it was uncomfortable enough when I first started this picture and was careless enough to leave the first draft sketch lying around in full view, prompting my mum to pose the question "what have you been drawing?". But it was even worse a few days ago when I accidentally ended up showing her the finished version in all its full-coloured cheesy-fumed glory - minimising my browser window (which had FurAffinity open in it) as she came in, I discovered to my horror that this picture was open in three windows underneath, one of which decided it didn't want to close down until I'd clicked the button six times. Suffice it to say, on both occasions, she got a good enough look to furrow her brow...

*facepalm* :squint:

Mercifully, she isn't the sort to ask questions, even if she was thinking of some. With any luck, she'll forget both occasions. To be fair, it could've been worse - if it had been 'Good Clean Fun' or 'Raptor Roadkill' on inadvertent display, I might've had a harder time brushing it under the carpet...!

:oops:

Anyway...

I've always had a thing for Knuckles. Probably more than I do for Sonic, to be honest. He always came across as meaner, stronger, more mature. And red is a naturally 'hotter' colour than blue anyway...!

As I mentioned a couple of years ago, I actually used to draw Sonic, Tails and Knuckles in my own comics when I was about 11 years old. I haven't drawn Knuckles since then though, so this was the first time in over a decade that I'd actually attempted it. I completed the drawing work on the picture earlier in the summer before it became one of the many projects I put on hold to complete my website revamp, so I decided to pick it up again over the weekend.

Aside from the unwanted memory of the aforementioned cringeworthy moments that will likely forever be associated with this picture(!), I'm pretty happy with how it has come out. But as always, there are problems - Tails simply never looked how I wanted him to, and Knuckles' pose looks pretty awkward upon closer inspection. It was also too wide to fit on a sheet of A3, so the shoe was basically tacked on with an extra sheet of A4. As for the shoe itself, there is of course the undeniable flaw that such a big red foot would never fit into that tiny green opening. But hey, that's Sega's daft character proportions for you.

And as you can probably tell, I couldn't be bothered with the background. What with all the effort I put into the background of that Robin Hood picture earlier in the week, I didn't fancy doing anything more on this one!

;)

(On a quick side note, I've often had folks calling for me to draw Tails as the focus of a picture, and I dare say the same response will follow this one. But as I've said to many people before, I just don't like Tails. Regardless of what ages the characters were originally meant to be, I always saw Sonic and Knuckles as adults - or at least mature teens - and Tails as some annoying little kid that hangs around with them; not something I find attractive! He works as a victim in this context, but I have no plans in the foreseeable future to draw him as a dominant character.)

----------

While the hedgehog's away, the echidna will play - whether the fox likes it or not.

[Direct Link]

Attachment:
File comment: Knuckles - Red Mist
KnucklesRedMist.jpg
KnucklesRedMist.jpg [ 465.87 KiB | Viewed 2395 times ]

RRRex

Post subject: Re: Knuckles - Red Mist
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:31 pm 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
Nice one as well! Too funny about your mom. :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:11 pm 
Magnificent Bastard
Ohhhh... ach... reading that intro blurb was painful. I share your stance on keeping your secrets, and to have your cover blown like that... yeesh! I wouldn't wish that fate on anybody. This is why it helps to know exactly where the power button on your monitor is, and how fast you can reach it in the event of unexpected company. Use a laptop? SLAM THAT SUCKER SHUT.

I do hope this blows over without too much mental scarring - yours or hers.

As for Tails here... he's obviously "Player Two" in this situation, so he's invincible. Some folks find him annoying just for that, and might find themselves enjoying this more than expected.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:23 pm 
Dinosorceror wrote:
Nice one as well! Too funny about your mom. :)

"Funny" is one way of putting it... I would also have accepted "cringeworthy" or "mildly terrifying".

:lol: Lol!

Thanks Dino. ;)

Sprotchymon wrote:
Ohhhh... ach... reading that intro blurb was painful. I share your stance on keeping your secrets, and to have your cover blown like that... yeesh! I wouldn't wish that fate on anybody. This is why it helps to know exactly where the power button on your monitor is, and how fast you can reach it in the event of unexpected company. Use a laptop? SLAM THAT SUCKER SHUT.

I do hope this blows over without too much mental scarring - yours or hers.

As for Tails here... he's obviously "Player Two" in this situation, so he's invincible. Some folks find him annoying just for that, and might find themselves enjoying this more than expected.

Or alternatively, he's not invincible, dies easily and is readily replaced by someone who looks exactly like him.

Wanna hear something weird? I've had this monitor for over a year and I was just about to write "I don't think my monitor even HAS a power button" when it just occurred to me to try pressing the bit in the middle that, until now, I'd always thought was just a light.

The screen promptly turned off. On closer inspection, there's a very very tiny power icon in the middle of the light.

*facepalm* :squint: :squint: :squint: :squint: :squint:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:22 am 
Blue Raptor
Species: anthro raptor
That turned out really nice, a great sense of the surfaces and lighting.

I would not worry too much about having been found out there, I think at worst you are seen now as a silly boy who still draws that old video game stuff, and even if she doesn't think it is meant to be funny, the first thought will not be that you are a perv who jacks off to feet, but rather that you find it fun that this strange red cartoon thing is torturing that strange animal thing with foot smell. Ew.
:angel:

I mean, it's not like it has a giant peenor!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:43 am 
Blue wrote:
That turned out really nice, a great sense of the surfaces and lighting.

I would not worry too much about having been found out there, I think at worst you are seen now as a silly boy who still draws that old video game stuff, and even if she doesn't think it is meant to be funny, the first thought will not be that you are a perv who jacks off to feet, but rather that you find it fun that this strange red cartoon thing is torturing that strange animal thing with foot smell. Ew.
:angel:

I mean, it's not like it has a giant peenor!

Heh - well quite. That's why I said it's probably just as well it wasn't something like Good Clean Fun... or probably just about the most difficult to explain would be Turbulence II...!

Thanks Blue!