Member Sites 
Faibanx MUCK
Artist Gallery
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jake - Fifty To The Dozen
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:26 pm 
The Three 'aws - Paws, Claws and Jaws.
Howdy everyone - RipRoarRex returns once more with arty things.

Yep. Told you he'd be back soon. ;)

This was the second of two pieces featuring Jake (The Rescuers Down Under) which I started over the summer, but as with many of my projects at the time, it was put on hold while I completed my website revamp. The original drawing was done a few days after the linework for my previous Jake picture (click here if you haven't seen it), but I did not start shading it until earlier this week.

Much like the 'Going Down Under' picture, I stuck with my preference for Jake's feet having darkened toes instead of claws, and I kept them more plantigrade in style. However, unlike the last picture, I decided to shade this one in a style more similar to the original Disney cell-shaded approach, with a background inspired by some of the layouts featured in the movie. Indeed, just for a laugh, I also made a mock 'screenshot' version, designed to look like a slightly fuzzy, faded screengrab from one of the films (click here).

Further in keeping with the Disney style, I decided to revive the Disney-like bug characters - seen in pictures such as 'Timon - A Lunch Between Friends' and 'Alan-A-Dale - A Lasting Impression' - which seem to have become part of my gallery in the last year or so. But I like them - I think they serve their purpose in a very cute way.

:lol:

I've enjoyed being more productive as of late, but this will be the last picture you'll see from me for a little while. Some of my relatives are coming to stay for the next week or so, therefore it's unlikely I'll be getting any more artwork done until closer to Christmas. But I hope the recent flurry of uploads will be enough to keep you entertained in the meantime!

:D

----------

There are so many weird and dangerous creatures in the Australian Outback, you might feel it's important to watch your step. Thankfully, as your experienced guide, Jake will let you know which ones you needn't fear getting underfoot.

[Direct Link]

Attachment:
File comment: Jake - Fifty To The Dozen
JakeFiftyToTheDozen.jpg
JakeFiftyToTheDozen.jpg [ 458.71 KiB | Viewed 2203 times ]

RRRex

Post subject: Re: Jake - Fifty To The Dozen
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:52 pm 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
Damn, it really is eerie how canon he looks, man...incredible job!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:32 am 
Blue Raptor
Species: anthro raptor
Dinosorceror wrote:

Yes, I can only agree. When using characters like that you manage to get them to look right, and feel right.
Something that so many that draw well known characters fail at. (not counting those that give a character a different style or look intentionally)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:45 am 
The Three 'aws - Paws, Claws and Jaws.
Dinosorceror wrote:

Blue wrote:
Yes, I can only agree. When using characters like that you manage to get them to look right, and feel right.
Something that so many that draw well known characters fail at. (not counting those that give a character a different style or look intentionally)

Thanks guys! I used to be rather more loose when it came to style replication, but I've been having more of a serious go at Disney's style since about this time last year, so hopefully I've been improving over that time.

:-)