About Us 
Member Sites 
Faibanx MUCK
Artist Gallery
It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Yes, its a new forum
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:40 am 
Nice one! Me likes very much! Good work!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:25 am 
Blue Raptor
Species: anthro raptor
Spino wrote:
So, now I'm here too!

Not bad the new forum, but I can't use my signatur which I'm using in other forums for years now, because the maximum image height is only 100 pixels... Anyway, at least this forum will stay longer...

Meh, OK, I guess 120 pixels dont hurt too much either. The real problem are people sticking wallpapers into their signature or stacking a dozen of images so you have to earn bonus webmiles for scrolling past it whenever someone likes that types something. Which we luckily never had on LD5 but, I confess, greatly annoys me and I clumsily tried to prevent that from the start.
Since I cannot prevent people from stacking things and grow their signature to any tower of babylon size anyway (boy, I whish I had a way to give a maximum height for the total signature, but I didnt find one. Yet... :whistle: ), I guess we can up that limit to 120, yes.
Maybe Dino baps me later and says I am totally nuts and of the Council empire (Cracton in-joke) and the limit goes up astronimically or is removed fully so people can post longcat in it. :)
I am sorry.

And welcome Talon.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:41 am 
Magnificent Bastard
Hehehe, Tower of Babble-On. Upping the limit-per image slightly is a good idea, but I never imagined folks would STACK images and be a nuisance. You could always enforce a total signature height limit until you find a way for the system to do it for you.

Spino: If 120 still isn't enough for you, but it's less than 240px tall, try splitting the banner into upper and lower sections with your trusty image editor and... stack 'em!

If bad goes to worse, individual users can always turn viewing of signatures off in the CP and... what? Word censoring?! Do we have that again now, or is that just more misplaced code?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:59 am 
Talking Tyrannosaur
Species: Tyrannosaurus
Yes indeed this new forum clearly rocks!

Congratulations and thanks to Blue and Dino for doing the stuff that made the thing happen.

And for what it's worth, I think avatar sizes should definitely be restricted to the standard 100px height - signatures too while you're at it. Nothing makes a forum page look uglier than massive avatars and signatures.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:17 am 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
I agree that huge graphics repeated everywhere 50,000 times does look fugly, I think I wouldn't mind seeing the avatar size increase a little. There's more room in the box that it lives in, so I wouldn't mind seeing the avatar graphic fill the alloted table size or whatever. But no, will restrain Blue from messing in HTML or whatever to limit weird stuff in a Councilesque manner. ;)

As for signatures, the sigs I see from RipRoarRex, for instance, seem fine, so I wouldn't really want to increase it any.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:08 am 
Blue Raptor
Alrighty. So this is what teh speck and I defined and set now:
- Maximum signature picture height is 120 pixels. Please stick with that. Unless you have a vertical image perhaps, then you may split and stack if you like, but
- Maximum total signature height is 150 pixels, everything higher than that will be pruned. Tables didnt allow that but CSS objects do I found, even though not all browsers may interprete it (and not cut it off there), but the usual ones that are not totally outdated will.
- Avatar image may be up to 110 pixels both wide and high for that now though, and is centered, so it is able to fill the room there more to the speck's liking.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but like we said, we will still tweaking here and there until everything falls into place. In contrast to the old one, we CAN at least tweak things.

Also, there is a [table] bbcode tage for those tablefreaks out there now, and more fun custom smilies, finally.
( Yes, most of them will become topic icons too. )

:sit: :copter:  :zillaright:  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:44 am 
Magnificent Bastard
Great jorb on the bonus icons! They are certainly inspired and amusing! :stomp:

While you're adding to the BBCode tags... could you please turn on strikethrough and spoiler tags? Not to imply those are more important than fancy tables but they are my favorites... apart than the tried-and-true bold and italic, of course.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:55 am 
Blue Raptor
Sprotchymon wrote:

Thanks! ( a great jorb too )

Sprotchymon wrote:
While you're adding to the BBCode tags... could you please turn on strikethrough and spoiler tags? Not to imply those are more important than fancy tables but they are my favorites... apart than the tried-and-true bold and italic, of course.

Could I what the what? :?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:16 pm 
Species: Wolf
Blue wrote:
Sprotchymon wrote:

Thanks! ( a great jorb too )

Sprotchymon wrote:

Could I what the what? :?

I think he means the option that would normally be [strike]Whatever's in here will have a line going straight through it[/strike] As though I had crossed it out. I'm not too sure on the spoiler tags, but I think he means some sort of warning of where something could be spoiled (as in the plot of a story?). Sorry if I totally messed up interpreting.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:21 pm 
Magnificent Bastard
Thanks Yakitate, but I'll let the pictures do the talking. The tags and their usage when posting looks like this:
And whatever goes between the spoiler tags will look like this once posted:
And users can click the "Show" button to spoil themselves like so:
Text can also be specified within the spoiler tag {spoil=TEXT} which will then appear in the top line before the "Show" button.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:18 pm 
Self-made mule
Species: hinny
So, I tried some of the stuff I found on here:
http://www.lots-a-bots.com/forum/phpBB2 ... =bbcode#10
But I'm not getting a response with most of these tags. Are we using a different version, or...?

And you've got my vote for the spoiler and strike -tags, if implementation isn't too trying. Especially considering that some of the content here is not entirely Disney-esque all the time, using a [ spoiler ][ / spoiler ] around pronic images might be nice, e.g.: only hit the button if you are prepared to see Coxx totally naked.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:28 pm 
Self-made mule
Species: hinny
Also, it just occurred to me that I haven't spotted a "mark as read" or "always mark read" -option anywhere. I figured I'd ask about that too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:12 pm 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
We're on the latest and greatest phpbb, which is phpbb 3.0.1, I believe. I'm kinda surprised that codes that are in 2.0 don't work here...but considering Blue can make up funky ones, I have a feeling it's just a matter of setting them up...they must not come default. I didn't even know you could easily futz with it...I mean, I thought the html tag that Blue was trying to do came with! ;) Anyway, since I think I have more programming experience and can speak programese better than Blue, I can try and spend some time this weekend looking into such things.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:46 pm 
Blue Raptor
What the speck says is right. We are running the most newest most up to date version of the forum software and no, all that funky bbcode stuff that you tried did not come with it. It is CUSTOM. Anything past the first row of buttons is CUSTOM and has to be added and coded manually. We did NOT disable cool bbcode that is there to make it more inconvenient for you but as you can see rather added a lot already that otherwise would not have been (there).
The custom stuff is sorted alphabetically as opposed to what little it comes with, which tells you that the ones in that screenshot are custom too, as by any bet are those in the forum Patch dug around in, too. (There will sure be hacks that you can install that give you a lot of funky bbcode that someone thought is cool and perhaps work and mess with the ones already there, of course.)

The 'Mark as read' is right on top of the topic list, just above 'Last post'.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:42 pm 
Species: Black Ice-Demon Dragon
Heh, I thought the other was good, to hell with that!

THIS PLACE IS MAGNIFICENT!!!

It's much, much better here! *spoiled*

Great job on the time and effort Dino and Blue! :D