Member Sites 
Faibanx MUCK
Artist Gallery
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Walking On Dinosaurs
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:21 pm 
The Three 'aws - Paws, Claws and Jaws.
Hi everyone, RipRoarRex here having found some time for art amidst the chaos that is my university life at present.

:lol: Lol!

Before I say anything else, I must extend my gratitude to two people for providing me with valuable assistance on this piece, even though they don't know they have. Firstly, I am no expert on T-Rex form, and have indeed improvised on certain sections of this piece according to my own personal preferences. However, I must thank Diablo, whose T-Rex work I used pretty much as a reference guide for the main body form. Secondly, I must also say a big thank you to MrPerson on FA, whose feedback on my last submission about improving my outlining provided me with a tip which made this significantly easier, significantly better in quality and - I may also add - significantly more enjoyable. And finally, I must also thank my scanner. Have I mentioned that I absolutely love it and don't know how I did without it for so long?

:)

*looks at the texture on the T-Rex*

I must be mad. Absolutely stark raving bonkers. I'm not quite sure what I was thinking taking on a task of that magnitude, but suffice to say, the process of texturing the T-Rex in this piece took me five hours. Five whole hours of sitting there drawing each individual damn scale. I'll be thinking of that in my sleep tonight, clicking the mouse and drawing little 'L' shapes...!

I'm adamant however that it was worth the effort. I wanted to go the whole hog on scaly texturing this time, not mucking around with lazy pattern applications or anything like that. Whether there is an easier way to get a look as good and unique as this, I don't know, but I'm of the opinion that taking the time and effort to do it the way I did with this piece gets the best results. I also decided to come up with my own texture for the sole of the T-Rex foot, deciding not on smooth padded soles but on a subtle scaly, fleshy sole instead. Because that's how I like 'em.

Oh, and I didn't bother with blood or any, shall I say, 'visible organs' on the T-Rex, because I didn't want this to be an adult picture. I hope those omissions don't spoil your enjoyment.

Anyway, I've said enough. I personally am absolutely delighted with this one, so I'd love to hear what you guys think. Comments always appreciated.

----------------------

The sequel to the hit series 'Walking with Dinosaurs', this unique documentary looks at the stomp-lusty nature of dominant predators. In this week's episode, we meet a T-Rex who learns that raptors crackle better when you lean on them...

RRRex

Post subject: Re: Walking On Dinosaurs
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:21 pm 
Species: N/A
This is an awesome T-rex, great job!
It seems that the raptor wasn't regarded as a food by the T-rex.
I think the teeth of the lower jaw are a bit strange.

By the way, how did you draw the T-Rex's scale?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:55 am 
Blue Raptor
Species: anthro raptor
That's a very nice t-rex (apart form the ovious missing slit ;) ). Diablo sure is a good source for rexish and dinosaury drawing to learn from, though his drawing style and interpretation of tyrannosauri is of course unique.
And I am sure most here still recall MrPerson quite well, its doesnt seem that long to me since he faded from here compared to the time he was an important portion of what I percieved as LD5. Good to see that at least you bother to post some art back to the pawslutty furry bootcamp that most wander away from once they grow big enough.

Five hours isnt too bad. I spent way more than that on the background pixelling of a single town square comic or another rearrangement of a few buildings on the map and the result is much less impressive than that texture on top of that picture, and usually the effort put into it isnt noticed at all. A single town square episode often took me weeks to finish, an animated custom icon for the forum usually doenst finish in just a mere day either and I spent days on coloring and blurring and fainting-effecting the background buildings in the only colored pencil doodling I did, that coloring with photopaint took me about a month worth of days spent half on that, until I was finally fed up with it rather than finished.
Which is why I never want to do that again. :)
While I know there are folks out there who can do what they do at an amazing speed, I am sure everyone that works with details knows the feeling that some things just take way longer than it feels worth.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:53 am 
I love footpaws!
Species: Silver western dragon
:shock: Woooow! :o

What an awesome T.Rex you did there, RRRex! Yeah, I can recognize the Diablo style here. :lol: He's impressive for making T.Rexes, but with you, it really does a very nice combination. ;)

5 hours for making the scales? :whistle: Gosh! To be sure you didn't waste your time, let me say that your artwork is excellent, it's a real masterpiece and keep it up! :D You really deserve it! :)

Oh, and those paws are so yummy-yummy! :P However, I'd appreciate them to be more "triangular" than "rectangular", especially the right foot (or are toes closer from each other when the foot is in that position?). Anyway, I love the sole a lot! <3

Also, I love their feet, of course! ^^

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:20 am 
RavenClaw wrote:
This is an awesome T-rex, great job!
It seems that the raptor wasn't regarded as a food by the T-rex.
I think the teeth of the lower jaw are a bit strange.

By the way, how did you draw the T-Rex's scale?

The teeth of the lower jaw, you say? *looks* - a bit long, maybe?

And as I say in the original description, the scales were done by hand. Yep, that's right - painting what could be as many as a couple thousand scales on by hand using the paint tool to draw inverted 'L' or 'C' shapes (sometimes two - one light and one dark for either side) then smoothing them in a little afterwards. Five hours it took. Clearly I'm wasting my life!

:lol: Lol!

Blue wrote:
That's a very nice t-rex (apart form the ovious missing slit ;) ). Diablo sure is a good source for rexish and dinosaury drawing to learn from, though his drawing style and interpretation of tyrannosauri is of course unique.
And I am sure most here still recall MrPerson quite well, its doesnt seem that long to me since he faded from here compared to the time he was an important portion of what I percieved as LD5. Good to see that at least you bother to post some art back to the pawslutty furry bootcamp that most wander away from once they grow big enough.

Five hours isnt too bad. I spent way more than that on the background pixelling of a single town square comic or another rearrangement of a few buildings on the map and the result is much less impressive than that texture on top of that picture, and usually the effort put into it isnt noticed at all. A single town square episode often took me weeks to finish, an animated custom icon for the forum usually doenst finish in just a mere day either and I spent days on coloring and blurring and fainting-effecting the background buildings in the only colored pencil doodling I did, that coloring with photopaint took me about a month worth of days spent half on that, until I was finally fed up with it rather than finished.
Which is why I never want to do that again. :)
While I know there are folks out there who can do what they do at an amazing speed, I am sure everyone that works with details knows the feeling that some things just take way longer than it feels worth.

As I say, the slit was a deliberate omission - I wanted to keep this a non-adult picture, so no visible genitalia, orifices or gore permitted! Lol! :lol:

I must admit I had no idea whether MrPerson was ever a member of LD5 or not. Presumably his involvement predates mine by quite a bit (mind you it would only need to have been any earlier than April 2007!) But of course I still post here - LD5 is one of the sites best suited to my tastes, and my site itself is on the LD5 server, so it would be silly and ungrateful not to!

:lol:

I know what you mean about pixel art though, but I think a lot of people don't appreciate the work that has to go in to something that small. I can't say I'm a master at it, though I have dabbled in that level of tiny pixel detailing before as part of my sprite construction for the games I occasionally make. Having said that, the sprite image size itself is very rarely any bigger than 32x32, so I don't know how you manage a comic full of it!

Thanks anyway Blue!

DragonsLover wrote:
Oh, and those paws are so yummy-yummy! :P However, I'd appreciate them to be more "triangular" than "rectangular", especially the right foot (or are toes closer from each other when the foot is in that position?). Anyway, I love the sole a lot! <3

Heh - well it's a matter of personal preference really, because I prefer them more rectangular! Lol! :lol:

Never mind. Thanks DL, and all you guys who have commented so far.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:23 am 
Talking Tyrannosaur
Species: Tyrannosaurus
At risk of commenting everywhere I see this, I will summarise what I've said about it elsewhere:

- It clearly rocks on many levels
- The rex, his musculature and his paws look very nice
- You totally have to draw more like this

And I will add that any raptor who finds himself flumped down under a nice digitigrade tyrannosaur foot like this one is extremely privileged as well as extremely flat.

Congratulations on an awesome picture, RRR!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:06 am 
And to avoid repeating myself too many times, I shall simply say thanks very much once again! :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:46 am 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
Dude...kick ass! :) That's an awesome pic, and great emotion expressed in it. The toes of the other foot resting on their tops just adds to the effect of weight put on the wee raptor. Fantastic! :) :claw: :claw: :claw: :claw:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:29 am 
Dinosorceror wrote:
The toes of the other foot resting on their tops just adds to the effect of weight put on the wee raptor.

Exactly what I was hoping it would do, being a big fan of visible weight-bearing effects on paws and poses. Thanks Dino!