Artist Gallery
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 6:19 pm

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Godzilla Light 1.5 update
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:40 pm 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
As some of you long-time Domers might recall, it was many years ago I got a great present from my wife in the form of the lightbox art from a Godzilla pinball machine (the Godzilla 1998 movie, that is). It has a nice juicy claw on it. :) Anyway, it's basically a sheet of plexiglass with the art printed on it, so I sandwiched it between two other pieces of plexiglass to protect it, then built a frame for it out of some cedar timbers (used to smell really good when I first made it!) and put a 22 watt circle fluorescent bulb in it for the backlight. The thing's been on 24/7 at the Dome for years now. Well, with the advent of LED lighting, I picked up some LED "puck" lights for use as under-cabinet lighting to use instead. It's worked out well...mostly. In early testing it looked great, but in actual mounting, you can more clearly see the six hotspots formed by the lights. Anyway, it's still an improvement, and now running at 13.2 watts, it's saving more energy as well. I might just have to redesign a new lightbox for it (a full 2.0 version!) that has the art just an inch or so further away from the lights so that it diffuses more. So here it is! And you can have fun trying to identify all the crap that's around it at home as well. Try to find me! There's several weesaurs there in the biggest pic, but only ONE is really me. :)

Attachments:
File comment: A shot from further back. Look at all that crap!
G-Mounted2.jpg
G-Mounted2.jpg [ 181.85 KiB | Viewed 2350 times ]
File comment: All back up and mounted, with freshly hosed-off dinosaurs.
G-Mounted1.jpg
G-Mounted1.jpg [ 187.36 KiB | Viewed 2345 times ]
File comment: The second test. Art in actual mount, top off, and unfortunately can see the hotspots of the six lights if you're looking for it.
G-Test2.jpg
G-Test2.jpg [ 126.22 KiB | Viewed 2316 times ]
File comment: The first test...just set the art on the very top of the box, and it looks REALLY good.
G-Test1.jpg
G-Test1.jpg [ 124.47 KiB | Viewed 2313 times ]
File comment: The internal mounting of the pucks.
G-PuckMounting.jpg
G-PuckMounting.jpg [ 77.56 KiB | Viewed 2291 times ]

Post subject: Re: Godzilla Light 1.5 update
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:24 pm 
Blue Raptor
Species: anthro raptor
Nice piccie.
Of course it lacks cloaca and bodily excrements, but still its nice.
I'd try to settle your lighting problem by putting the leds behind parts of the pic where it's suppose to be bright, like in the flame, explosions, ... you know.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:28 pm 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
Yeah, I thought about that too, Blue. Would be the solution that requires no additional materials, and only a little bit more effort, so chances are that's what I'll do. :) Since there are only so many explosions, will probably dedicate 2 lights to the bottom for the name.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:16 pm 
Species: Black Ice-Demon Dragon
Ragnos wrote:
...2. how does that bridge support godzilla's weight?

Actually, the bridge is crumbling through the middle, however, pictures depict MOMENTS in time, making the illusional effect that it happened.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:36 pm 
Self-made mule
Species: hinny
Cool. *wasn't aware that Dino was such a lumberjack*

Now if only we could see a bit more upgrades and general DinoDIYership around here then I'd be reaaally impressed.