Legacy LD5

Forum/Website Through 2017
About Us 
Member Sites 
Faibanx MUCK
Artist Gallery
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beside The Seaside (#5 May 2010)
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 9:24 am 
The Three 'aws - Paws, Claws and Jaws.
Picture 5 of RipRoarRex's May 2010 Batch

A further example of the 'webbed bird feet' mood I seemed to find myself in during April this year. It's also a further example of me not obsessing quite so much about anatomical accuracy. I wanted this character to have only semi-anthropomorphic qualities, hence the fairly upright posture and expressive wings but combined with altered proportions of the torso and the bird-like joints of the legs. Beyond that however there are several biological and anatomical inaccuracies - the back leg is too short, the wing on the right is smaller than the one on the left and the feet are wrong in numerous ways. I know the toes would be much thinner and the toe at the back shouldn't be against the floor like that, but I personally much prefer the chunky, firmly-planted look that the feet have in this form. On another note, I didn't originally intend for him to be a macro on a rampage, but the idea grew on me...! (Puns of a Macrophile, #396).

:roll:

As for the rest of it, the background was fairly easy to create, though the tiny furs in the foreground took considerably longer - unlike the Anubis picture I did at Christmas however, rather than simply adding them entirely digitally, I actually sought to draw these characters in pencil in the first place. I think it adds a greater clarity to their forms and makes it look more like they were part of the original picture (Which of course in this case they were).

(And by the way, my favourite is the tiny orca in the bright red speedos looking right up at the gull. See if you can spot him!)

:D

That's it for this new batch folks - hope it is a good way to finish! Enjoy!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Altogether now - it's the macro seagull version of "I Do Like To Be Beside The Seaside"!

Oh I do like to stomp beside the seaside,
Oh I do like to stomp beside the sea,
Oh I do like to hear them screaming "help, help, help",
As my feet crunch them up with a squelch, squelch, squelch...
So just let me crush you on the seaside,
Soon you'll be flat beneath my feet!
For there's lots of gulls besides
Who will squish out your insides
Beside the seaside,
Beside the sea!

Attachment:
File comment: Beside The Seaside
BesideTheSeaside.jpg
BesideTheSeaside.jpg [ 602.17 KiB | Viewed 2741 times ]

[Direct Link]

(And for anyone outside the UK not familiar with the British Music Hall Classic 'I Do Like To Be Beside The Seaside', have a listen to the version in this video [chorus after 0:38]).

RRRex

Post subject: Re: Beside The Seaside (#5 May 2010)
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:26 am 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
An appropriate summertime macro pic! :)

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:05 am 
Indeed, although funnily enough, I started drawing this one back in early-mid April - at a time where I still had to scrape ice off my car before work in the morning...

:shock:

Heh!

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:47 am 
Talking Tyrannosaur
Species: Tyrannosaurus
Holy shit, I completely forgot about 'squelch'...

There I was, clumsily using 'squish' and 'crunch' to describe those wet bodily flattenings that have just a hint of bone snappage.

Cheers, Rex :)

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 6:28 am 
Magnificent Bastard
Hey hey, don't forget sprotch! (Or sklitch, if anyone remembers my old old story)

No cameo from Mike this time? I guess it's fair considering he has his own problems...

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 7:01 am 
Diablo wrote:
Holy shit, I completely forgot about 'squelch'...

There I was, clumsily using 'squish' and 'crunch' to describe those wet bodily flattenings that have just a hint of bone snappage.

Cheers, Rex :)

Sprotchymon wrote:
Hey hey, don't forget sprotch! (Or sklitch, if anyone remembers my old old story)

Squish, squash, crunch, crick, crack, crackle, snap, squelch, splat, occasionally gurgle can be useful too...

Seems there is sprotch and sklitch too. And I remember Dylan once using the word splick.

:lol: It's all part of the crushy lexicon, folks! Lol!

Sprotchymon wrote:
No cameo from Mike this time? I guess it's fair considering he has his own problems...

Maybe he was watching it on his phone...

:whistle: