Artist Gallery
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 9:26 pm

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A word about graphics and galleries and such
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:08 pm 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
Well, it's no surprise that one of the great things about this forum software is that it handles attachments, especially graphics, a HELL of a lot better than the last sucky forum software. However, I'm also aware that there are official gallery mods for this forum software that will allow not only forums but picture galleries to reside within these walls. They're currently beta, as this is a brand spanking new version of this forum software, but things look really promising and with proper backups and such, I hope to have official self-service galleries here to replace the never-updated "Artist Gallery" section of LD5 that relies on ME not being lazy to get updated. Yeah, you see the flaw with that system? :)

In any case, we're probably a few weeks off from that gallery stuff being implemented here. In the meantime, feel free to post your stuff to this forum section if you've got stuff to share!

Post subject: Re: A word about graphics and galleries and such
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:28 am 
Magnificent Bastard
Woo woo! Definitely looking forward to that. I've seen the attachment system used a few times already. If I recall, the limit is four attachments (maybe five) per post. I don't know why the system bothers counting attachment views - that number gets quickly inflated since it counts views in the "post history" when replying to a thread, and each refresh as a unique view.

Moolah for the forum... more moolah for the bandwidth and super-special-dedicated file hosting... I really respect all you've done for us! No doubt you'll bring up the concept of donations again soon... have you considered Project Wonderful?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:37 pm 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Well, thanks, Austin, I really appreciate that. :D And what's super-nice about this forum, as I'm sure Blue will say if he hasn't already, is that it's not only free but it's open-source...if we can figure out what we're doing, we can do anything with it. I, too, dislike "popularity counters" like attachment views, so you'll probably see that disappear in the very near future. ;)

Once we get feedback as to what we need to tweak for the main forum, I'll start investigating the gallery modules that are available.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:51 pm 
Dino, we already have the gallery system installed an in use on Eccentricities. There were a couple of bugs in it when it first came out, but they have already addressed them, and now the gallery works pretty flawlessly. Also, it is completely configurable -- allowing you to set limits (or not) on picture sizes, thumbnail quality et al.

Like you pointed out about this version of Php, though, it is brand new. But there are mods coming out for it. Daryn and I have been keeping a close eye on developments. If you have any questions about configuration or mod installation, just give Daryn or I a buzz. We'll be happy to help in anyway we can.

Frickin' awesome to see you guys getting on board with this software. I look way forward to the successes you guys are sure to enjoy with it!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:22 pm 
Snufftastic Raptor!
Species: Half-Demon Deinonychus
Canaan wrote:
Dino, we already have the gallery system installed an in use on Eccentricities. There were a couple of bugs in it when it first came out, but they have already addressed them, and now the gallery works pretty flawlessly. Also, it is completely configurable -- allowing you to set limits (or not) on picture sizes, thumbnail quality et al.

Like you pointed out about this version of Php, though, it is brand new. But there are mods coming out for it. Daryn and I have been keeping a close eye on developments. If you have any questions about configuration or mod installation, just give Daryn or I a buzz. We'll be happy to help in anyway we can.

Frickin' awesome to see you guys getting on board with this software. I look way forward to the successes you guys are sure to enjoy with it!

Ah, that one!
Yes, while the program itself is pretty flawless from my point of view, making image uploading and handling easy, it is the infrastructure that renders it completely worthless in its current form. It is like planting a luxury condo with high-end apartments to rent for 1$ per day into the landscape, then telling nobody where said condo is, building no streets to it either and making damn sure to put no signs up.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:59 pm 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Thanks for the input, guys! I noticed in my tiny bit of research that there were at least two popular beta-development gallery mods for phpbb 3.0, so I'll check out which one looks mo' betta and install it. And thanks for the plug for Faibanx MUCK on Eccentricities, Canaan...I'm sure that gave Blue major wood. :hump: :up:

I'm not in a big hurry on the gallery side...people want art galleries they can just use FA. Only downside at all to FA is you gotta have a login to see 'adult' art, but BugMeNot fixes that. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:31 pm 
Ahastar wrote:
Ah, that one!
Yes, while the program itself is pretty flawless from my point of view, making image uploading and handling easy, it is the infrastructure that renders it completely worthless in its current form. It is like planting a luxury condo with high-end apartments to rent for 1$ per day into the landscape, then telling nobody where said condo is, building no streets to it either and making damn sure to put no signs up.

Yeah, Ahastar, about that I agree.

I would prefer that it added links to members' profile pages, and maybe even a button under their avatars. But, it doesn't, and it looks like that is something we're going to have to live without until the people who wrote the software for the gallery get around to adding them. Until that happens, though, the gallery is still pretty good for what it is. Like you pointed out, its file-management and handling-ease is pretty top notch. It is very easy to use. As for looking for it...? All one has to do is look at the top-right corner of the forum's screen. There is a button up there plainly labeled "Gallery". ;)

Speck wrote:
And thanks for the plug for Faibanx MUCK on Eccentricities, Canaan...I'm sure that gave Blue major wood.

It might have, that was if Blue was a member of Eccentricities. Which... he isn't. He is unable to see it! :whistle:

As far as "plugging" Faibanx goes, though...? Yeah, I do want to give it a nice plug. But at the same time, I would like to see a lot more people log onto it, so I can have fun there, too! There hardly ever seems to be anybody roleplaying on it when I log onto it! :( It always seems so quiet and... well, boring!

But also, I would like to see Eccentricities' members having a place they can go to, too, and one that is close to home (LD5 and Eccentricities being so closely related in their themes). In order to hopefully achieve that, I intend to do a little more than just plug your MUCK; I intend to go on an endorsement campaign. Also, Dino -- and to that end -- I'd like to be able to get together with you sometime. We discussed an idea briefly some months back that has stuck in my mind, and I'd like to see if you were serious, and if you'd like to pick the idea up again (and I think you probably know which one I am talking about ;)).

Either way, and at any rate, it is damn nice to see you guys taking off and running again. It is like getting the old LD5 back again. :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:33 pm 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Oh, you're talking about creating some sort of alliance and borging in other macro sites and ruling the universe? Sure, as long as I don't have to do any work. ;) I already gots Blue to makes me do work. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:29 am 
Dinosorceror wrote:
Oh, you're talking about creating some sort of alliance and borging in other macro sites and ruling the universe?

Hmmm...

Well hey, I wasn't the one who approached the subject; you were, Dino. :P About a year ago, I think, you asked me about an alliance between LD5 and Eccentricities. You even proposed we do some kind of logo for it.

If you have changed your position, hmmm, I don't have any beefs. I only brought it up again because it was something I thought you wanted. Either way, I digress. If it is something you still want, give me a shout. If not...?

Well, I'll just say I don't have the ambitions your choice of... er, vernacular suggests. :roll:

:up:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:00 am 
Blue Raptor
Species: anthro raptor
Canaan wrote:
It might have, that was if Blue was a member of Eccentricities. Which... he isn't. He is unable to see it! :whistle:

Yes, I aint... for its a site for paws and feet only, and one I'd even have to register to, and I get way enough of that pawslut stuff here already. ;)

But yes, I do hope we can get things to live up both here and especially on Faibanx.
So bring everybody into macro or paws who is so insane or unknowing to not yet be on it! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:45 am 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Oh, I don't have a problem with it...I'm just trying to make it clear how lazy I am. ;) If we wanna do something akin to one of them there 'webring' things of old, I'd be up for that. Just make Blue make the banner graphic. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:31 pm 
Blue Raptor
Species: anthro raptor
*is glad he has a convenient paw at hand so he can stomp Dino with it*
We/You should rather concentrate on getting that banner up on the LD5 pages like MUCK and Gallery and all that, with a nav stuff where the logion stuff is here in the forum (not that that took long) and getting that all look like it actually exists, I think. And uploading my über cool new smilies of course. :whistle:

Then you can go around and marry webpages with a ring all you like. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:03 pm 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
See that, Canaan? I guess you'll have to get in line after Blue. ;) Blue is mean, Blue is a meanie! Yes, he's a Blue Meanie.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:05 pm 
Snufftastic Raptor!
Species: Half-Demon Deinonychus
Dinosorceror wrote:
See that, Canaan? I guess you'll have to get in line after Blue. ;) Blue is mean, Blue is a meanie! Yes, he's a Blue Meanie.

Oh my god, classic ECW insider joke!
*throws away a gnawed off chicken leg, right into the audience*

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:20 pm 
Well, honestly, I can see Blue's point.

(Pokes you)

Speck-ness.

"Since '94". It says so right at the top of this page. Yeah, since '94 you have been in the forefront of creative web-design for the macro community. In fact, you have been looked up to so much because of your creative flare and your wit about the whole macro condition, that a lot of people came to revere you.

Some where down the line, you let that go. Your hard-headedness about using software nobody had used before, is just one prime example. Instead of doing stuff for the community, it was like you got into this mode of trying to prove something to people. And predictably, you dropped the ball. LD5 dropped the ball. But throughout, you have had people like Blue doing shitloads of work for you behind the scenes, doing their best to keep the dream going.

So yeah, I agree with Blue. Not only do I agree with him, I am behind him.

(Pokes Dino in his chest) It's past time for LD5 to make a comeback. Too many people believe in it, Speck.

(Then turns and looks at Ahastar) As for you, lizard, keep throwing shit at me. I'll sick a dragon on your ass.

( :nuke: ;) )