Member Sites 
Faibanx MUCK
Artist Gallery
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sonic - Sneaker Fresh
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:55 pm 
The Three 'aws - Paws, Claws and Jaws.
Howdy folks! RipRoarRex here with the second piece of my new batch of artwork.

Back in November, I decided to try my hand at drawing Sonic The Hedgehog, and came up with two pictures. In this first one, I thought I would play on the popular theme of Sonic's sneakers possessing their own delightful qualities given his penchant for running around at unfathomable speeds - something no doubt plenty have thought about before, even if they wouldn't admit it.

;)

It might surprise folks to know that this is by no means the first time I have drawn Sonic - back when I was around 10-11, I used to draw quite lengthy comic book stories involving him, the longest being 34 pages. (And yes, I do still have them!) Those comics were the first serious attempt at cartooning that I had ever made. Truthfully, Sonic was actually the first 'furry' character of any type that I learned to draw all those years ago; I first taught myself the reference guides featured on 'Sonic Jam' for the Sega Saturn (if anyone remembers that!) which were based on the original Japanese cartoon style.

Given that these comics were my cartooning roots of sorts, suffice to say therefore that the style I developed back then still has a very strong influence on the style I have today. Believe it or not, Rexar's distinctive brow is based on how I started drawing Sonic, whilst the way I start by drawing his eyes is directly influenced by how I learned to draw Knuckles in the same way. The likes of Rocky and Mike are also partly inspired by the methods I used to draw Tails.

Didn't know that, did ya? Anyway - back to this picture.

Despite having drawn Sonic regularly many years ago, this was the first time I had attempted a picture of him in about 10 years. Funnily enough though. I think my overall development since then has meant that this has come out looking better than anything I did back then when I was practising regularly!

For whatever reason, I decided to colour this one in the same style as the official cartoon artwork of the character, which is rather different from how I would normally colour something - the shading is quite stylistic, with the darker tones appearing in fairly inconsistent positions around the edges of the character (Example). Quite a cool cartoon style, and not one I've dabbled with before, so I hope I got it vaguely right.

(Oh, and I couldn't resist the corny Green Hill reference for the background. Heh!)

Hope you like it anyway, folks, and feedback always appreciated.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sonic invites you to a personal demonstration of why running is good for you...

Attachment:
File comment: Sonic - Sneaker Fresh
SonicSneakerFresh.jpg
SonicSneakerFresh.jpg [ 522.29 KiB | Viewed 1534 times ]

RRRex

Post subject: Re: Sonic - Sneaker Fresh
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:53 pm 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
Hrm...this style also is well suited to the character (almost like it's from a game package). I think I prefer the "original with Rexar's style" of the other better myself, though...

Post subject: Re: Sonic - Sneaker Fresh
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:45 am 
The Three 'aws - Paws, Claws and Jaws.
Yeah, I preferred my own personal colouring style as well. But I thought this was an interesting experiment to see if I could match the game package, as you say. Hope it worked!

:)