Legacy LD5

Forum/Website Through 2017
About Us 
Member Sites 
Faibanx MUCK
Artist Gallery
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 9:54 pm

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: King of the Monsters 2 help!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:15 am 
Emerald MegaDragon
Species: Emerald Dragon
It's been ages since I played this game, but I recently found an emulator that works on Vista for it... but now I can't find any of the cheat codes I used to use on the Genesis version to make it more fun! Does anyone know where to find the debug codes and modes for this game? Please send me a note!

Post subject: Re: King of the Monsters 2 help!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:43 am 
Magnificent Bastard
What type of emulator is it? Genesis, Neo-Geo, or SNES? I just found the genesis rom and loaded it up in my program (Gens). I rememeber reading long ago that the SNES version was just a "crappy" port of the Genesis version, but the Genesis version is way different! Less like Streets of Rage, more like Street Fighter. Not that that's a bad thing! There's no story mode, but you can play as any monster (including the last boss) and you can adjust the difficulty and round time how you please. If that's the version you're talking about, I still found codes for it here.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:47 am 
Species: Snow Leopard
Haha I could not find anything when I serched lol, Good game though I play King of fighters 2000 :3

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:58 am 
Magnificent Bastard
Alright, I found the tested the NeoGeo version, and that one is much closer to the SNES one, but I am on the fence as to which is better. With the NeoGeo, graphics and combat are faster and smoother, and the cutscenes are actually in English, but the SNES lets you choose which of your three "charge attacks" you want to use, rather than pre-selecting one for each Power-up level. For example, Green Geon has the spike-sword, Red has the flame breath, and Blue has the earthquake jump. Still, charge time is shorter which is nice.

As for the NeoGeo codes and/or debug mode... I use NeoRageX. Once I've launched the game I only need to press F1, wait for the "Arcade Machine Menu" to pop up, select "Setting up the soft dip" then the name of the game. That again calls up options like difficulty, round time and number of continues.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:50 am 
Emerald MegaDragon
Hmm. I'm not looking for Game Genie codes. There was a Debug Mode series of buttons you would press, and in that mode, you could basically have the computer fight itself... letting you essentially watch two macros going at it in downtown New York City... It was a feature only available on the Genesis version, and all sources of codes and cheats have come up empty for me :(

Essentially the Genesis version was closer to the original, and the NeoGeo version was the arcade version. I have all the ROMs on my homepage here for download, haven't changed 'em in years.

If anyone does know about the debug mode code, I'm still searching :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:23 am 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Species: Weesaur
I'm a bit lost by Tyrnn's last comments...NeoGeo games for home purchase were exactly the same as the arcade machines, so they are the original games released: they're the actual arcade game. That's why they were so absurdly expensive and no one bought the system. So how is the Genesis knock-off version more the "real" version? Just because it's the only one to allow you to watch them go at it? :)

By the way, on a side note to BREAK FORUM RULES, I loved that series of sketches of Legendz you're doing...the ubermacro towering over a 'regular' macro is hawt. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:28 am 
Magnificent Bastard
COM Vs. COM match, eh? I'm not too familiar with the Genesis version yet, but wouldn't one of those start up if you just stared at the title screen for a while? This is known as "Attract Mode" in arcade machines. Partially done to show potential players what they're missing out on, but primarily done to prefent "burn-in" on the monitors. You know, that nasty, permanent after-image you get from having the same static words or image on one screen for hours at a time.

Also, I'll give you what I know for the SNES version. Once at the Mode Select Menu, press Right, Right, Right, Left, Left, Left, Left, Right, Right, Right, Left, Left, Left, Left, then select+Y on controller 2 and start on controller 1. You will hear a sound. Press A to go to the Character Select menu. Press A on both controllers and you will be taken to the Debug Menu. This allows you to:

-Select Character for both players (One can be OFF but not both)
-Select stage
-Test Music (28 Songs in all)
-Toggle between Normal and Debug mode while playing (Debug Mode pretty much freezes after the opening cutscene)
Pressing Select on Controller 2 changes "BOSS FF" to "BOSS 80" but its purpose is unknown.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:46 am 
Emerald MegaDragon
Again, thanks, but this is not the information I'm looking for. I'm looking for the GENESIS version's codes, which I remember were completely different from the SNES version. Yer just parroting the thousands of google search results I have found, and after all the frustration I had with the internet failing to be all powerful and retain all information, I still harbor a great resentment for google.

Like I said, I have scoured the internet looking for those game cheat codes... I'm grasping at straws here as a last ditch effort. I guess they're just lost in the mists of time :(

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:13 am 
Species: Wolf
Just be sure you're not just misremembering.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:42 am 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Closest I've got so far is the Genesis cheat code menu for KoM 1, apparently. It said:

Select option screen
Press A,B,C and START on the title screen. Pressing A now selects the options.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:19 pm 
Magnificent Bastard
Rather than let this become a tempest in a teacup, I'll strongly suggest you settle for the Attract Mode option I mentioned above. Just use your emulator's Layer Toggle option to get rid of the logo in the corner and the flashing "Press Start" in the center. Ten seconds of title screen for a good minute of COM-on-COM destruction. Enjoy.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:24 am 
Emerald MegaDragon
I think I finally found it!

but... it's in German... so I got my roommate to translate:

# Watch Mode...
Wenn das Takara
Logo erscheint Drückst Du Oben, Rechts Unten, Links,
Oben, Links, Unten
und Rechts. Jetzt kannst Du den Watch-Mode anwählen, in dem der Computer
gegen sich selbst antritt.

# Debug Mode...
Wenn das Sega
Logo erscheint drücke auf dem zweiten Joypad Oben, Unten, Oben,
Unten, Links, Rechts, Links und Rechts.

I'ma go see if it works now :)

yep! When the Sega logo appears, press up right down left up left down right up on controller 1

for debug mode, press up down up down left right left right on controller 2.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:05 pm 
Site Admin
Oracle of the Slipper
Wow....of all the things to come back and post about, that's just win with awesome. :)