InstantForum.NET v3.4
Home
Login Register Member List
Old Forums - READ ONLY   » Lava Dome University   » Athletics Department   » Workout/session logs  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Workout/session logs
Author
Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Active: 1/25/2007
All right, I'll start this off. So I've been semi-outta shape and not really living up to my hydrodynamicality. (Took me some seconds to invent that word. ) Time to change. I spent only about 40 minutes in the water today, did 2000 yards which is kinda...meh...but I still got a great benefit from it. Here's how it goes; All distances are in yards, and there's a minute rest between sets (portions of the workout).

400 easy swim warmup done within 7 minutes (interval on the 7:00). Very easy and slow, waking up the muscles. It's also a good time to practice perfect technique so that you'll do excellent stroke all through workout.

Then 4 rounds of 100 yards individual medley, or IM again on the 7:00. An IM is any distance of 100 and up, divided into 4 quarters, each quarter swum butterfly, backstroke, breaststroke, and freestyle (crawl) in that order. It's all nonstop but *still slow*, the 1st 100 IM is swum, the 2nd drilled (breaking the stroke down to refine technique and stroke quality) the 3rd swim and so on.

Next, 2 rounds of all this:
{
2 100's kick on within 1 minute, 45 seconds (the 1:45). this is just getting your legs moving, just make the interval of 1:45.
and
4 75's swim, the first 50 is choice stroke, the last 25 is free. This is the fastest part, just make it, and keep up good technique.
}

Last, go 200 easy and slowww warmdown, all strokes, doing whatever you need to relax your body and settle back down. Total 2000 yards.

Kinda short but still good. I promise not every post of mine will be this long...sorry >_0 If you'd like to try something like this go ahead, and modify it to your needs...like for an easier time, you can always go *slower* as you make your way through the workout, and change the intervals to rest, e.g. instead of the 400s on 7:00, just swim those until you finish and rest one minute (rest :60) and change the kicks to rest :20 seconds after each one, and rest :15 or so on the 75s, and so on. See, everything is endlessy modifiable--and I can offer other suggestions for other sports/activities if anyone likes. Hope it helps!

-------------
LDU Swim Team Head Coach: contact for training
"Get ready for Beijing 2008--The Next Summer Olympics"
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 4/6/2005 2:09 PM
Supreme Being
Supreme Being

*has a moderately tasty protein bar and some veggies, and gets to posting*

Whew. Feeling good in this heat here. So I swam again today, my arms are getting used to pulling again and I'm trying to make sure I pull correctly every time all the way through the workout.

2 X 500s easy free warmup, on rest :10 sec. Go the first 300 of each 500 drilling free, focusing on perfect strokework, then the last 200 is regular free.

Then 3 rounds of:

4 x 50's on :40 sec, these are semi-fast and good cardio work. Just make them
and 1 x 200 on the 3:00, this is lower effort but more continuous.

Then, 4 x 200s kick on the 4:00. Each 200 is 50 kick on your back, 50 on your stomach, 50 on each side. A kickboard is great for the stomach side 50.
I took six minutes out to stretch and let my heart rate drop a little, it isn't necessary right now for me to be pushing it.

Next, 6 x 150s pull on the 2:00. Pulling means using a pull buoy, but it's not necessary, you can just not kick while you swim. Each 150, you descend 1 to 3, which means just go faster in each one, getting a faster time. Descend the first 3, and do it again to the same speed the last 3.

Last was 3 x 300s, one on the 4:00, then 3:50, then 3:45, with a little extra rest to get heart rate. I messed up on pacing these, going some parts too fast and then dying in the end. Best time was a 3:26 on the second one. Then it's just easy 400 warmdown! Total: 5200 yards.

This set can be easily cut in half or a quarter for time or endurance constraints. Hey, I'm posting, and if you're working out, no matter what it is I'd like to know what you do, so don't be afraid to post! Till later...

-------------
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 4/6/2005 9:49 PM

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Active: 6/18/2018
Man, reading that sure makes me wanna get in a pool again. I love swimming...

-------------------------------
Dinosorceror, Administrator
Lava Dome Five Enterprises

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 4/7/2005 2:48 PM
Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Yes, yes!! That's just the feeling you can act on. All you need to swim is a lot of water in one place and a swimsuit...and depending on where you go, the suit's optional The thing is just getting going, Dino, just up and heading to the pool one day for a fun swim. Doesn't have to be training all the time All you need is like 20 minutes and you'll get so much out of it.

All right, post for today. I had the smart idea to go lift weights... XP

Weightlifting, about 50 minutes: I don't really keep exact track of what machines I use or what weight/reps I do, I kinda keep it all in my head, but I warmed with 5 minutes easy easy run onna treadmill, then going to as many different kinds of machines as possible--with *not that much weight*. I did leg press, shoulder raises, shoulder shrugs with a barbell, lifting weight bars behind and ahead me. Most freeweight exercises were about 9-12 reps, and all the machines were about 10-20 reps. Usually you lift more for fewer reps, but since I go for endurace and not strength, I do less weight. Last part was a set of 3-7-9-11-9-7-5 pullups of all different kinds. This means do 5 pullups, rest, then 7, rest, 9 and so on. I couldn't do all of the first 9 (I'm outta shape! ) so I did negatives. Negatives are just jumping up and letting yourself down slowly, when you can't pull yourself up, and they're almost as good.

Then it was into the water, 300 warmup all strokes to stretch out, and then:

8 x 100's IM on the 1:30 (kinda fast, focusing on best technique possible). I had strained a groin muscle some weeks ago that kept me from doing breastroke kick, but by carefully warming it up and working the muscle gently, I could get it mostly working again.

Then, just for kicks, XD I did a 200 kick for time, trying to break 3 minutes, on the 4:00. Supposedly, to go faster than 3:00, I'd have to pace like a :43 or so (not :45 since it takes a few seconds to push off) each 50 yards. Time: 2:58. Good speed and fast feet plus strong pushoffs off all walls. Last is an easy 200 warmdown, all strokes except butterfly. Total: 1500 yards.

It so rocks when you know you can work hard lifting weights and still go and swim. Or just straight swim for thousands and thousands of yards. Hell yeah! Me tired and hungry...*raids the fridge*

-------------
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 4/9/2005 7:55 PM
Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Heh, I been lazy and am updating late. My exercises for Friday:

About 45 minutes of more lifting, doing more leg machines and stuff. Focusing on pullups. I wanna be a badass at pullups, simply because I never was before.
5 rounds of 8 pullups, all different varieties, with as little rest as possible. I couldn't do all 5 rounds continuously, but I was able to do all the rounds without negatives! Then, a test of 13 pullups without letting go of the bar. I failed miserably at 7, but made sure to rest and finish the whole 13.

Then I hit the water, easy 300 warmup...
10 x 50 free swim on the :50, with fins. My goal in this was to go :30 or faster each 50, getting some speed work in, nice; I managed to hold them all at that or about a second better. Finally I finished with an easy 200 warmdown.

Today I didn't train, but did some gardening and shoveling, which really helped me avoid getting very sore, and worked my back and legs a bit more. See, you don't need to go to the gym to get an exercise benefit.

However, I'm kinda feeling the lazing set in, and I'm hoping that anyone who'd like to post what they do too, to motivate others to post and also begin training more! Don't be shy, everyone has their individual level of exercise and goals they'd like to attain to, so feel free to mention them here! Now I'm-a gonna rest and recover, laters!

-------------
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 4/10/2005 5:50 PM

Active: 6/10/2007
I'm in Fort Lauderdale on business, so earlier today I took my first-ever swim in the ocean. Spent an hour in there swimming around; unfortunately I didn't really keep an accurate log of strokes or counts.

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 4/11/2005 5:15 PM
Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Yaaay! Ain't the ocean nice? Great start, Kreldon! Just getting out, period, and going to swim will help you a lot, and the beach is fun as hell! Playing in the surf alone gives you endurance. Can I suggest if you have another chance, simply to work onn stroke technique? To keep your arms long, and as you pull back, accelerate your hand past your hip. Push a lot of water back, not just with your hand, but your whole arm. A good drill that'll help you focus on your arm pushing is to swim with your fists closed. You'll have to feel and pull deeper to get around, and when you open your hands again, your arms will feel like oars. Is a neat, highly effective drill to swim faster and keep from tiring. Keep it up!! ^____^

Alright, so I haven't been feeling 100% lately, but I managed to do a *little* biking around the 'hood....
Bike: 38 min, max speed 32 mi/hr; 8.89 mi total distance @ 13.81 mi/hr, aveage speed.

I went up and down a lot of hills, ending up doing something similar to interval work. Hills are fun, on one I burned myself up going 32 mph on a downhill. It is a MEGA-RUSH for me when I break the speed limit (25 mph). ON A BIKE. Also in this session, I'm really trying to practice "active recovery", which is simply resting while you are working, instead of just resting. Focus is on building up strength and endurance by pedaling slower when you want to recover, instead of only coasting.

So tomorrow I guess I'm gonna make up for this. :p Me tired, goodnight. ^^

-------------
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 4/12/2005 7:16 PM

Active: 6/10/2007
Went into the ocean again yesterday for a bit. Same stuff as before, although I'm finding it much easier to swim, period. Why this is, I have no clue -- lower altitude ASL, swimwear (see below), ??? It's not really salinity because I get the same feeling even in a nearby pool.

Because I sunburn very easily, I bought a rashguard at a local surf shop. That could explain away some of it even though it has no padding, or hydrodynamic styling a la the fastskin.
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 4/13/2005 12:07 PM
Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Hey Kreldon. Glad to see you're keeping up with swimming; I think it's getting easier for you to swim mainly because your muscles and nerves are getting accustomed to the movements they make for swimming. This is the first thing that happens when getting into training, it's called buliding up muscle memory, and it means you are becoming more efficient in the water. Getting lots of rest between sessions goes far to make you stronger, too.

Plus, a rashguard simulates shaved skin, thus you prolly don't have as much hair to drag in the water. *Plus,* when you wear tight suits or rashguards or what have you, the fabric kinda binds your muscles, and lets them contract shorter (stronger) instead of bunching up (less efficient). Keep it up, sounds like you're having great results!

All right, my turn, and if I can help it I'll never go swim at night again, sooo tired. >_<

Workout:

300 yds stretching out and warming up on the 5:00. just go all different strokes and things, easy.

400 on the 7:00, 2 rounds of:
50 scull, which is kinda like floating on your stomach, paddling side-to-side with your hands, using a pull buoy and keeping your head completely out of the water;
50 human drill, which is like crawl, except your head is out of the water, and your arms never come out above the water. No pull buoy;
and 100 plain old IM.

Now for some more intense sets--200 kick on the 3:20. the 1st 100 is roll kick. You kick on your side, the arm closest to the bottom of the pool is forward, while your top arm rests on your side. Slowly, you pull gently with your forward arm, rolling and kicking, taking a slow stroke till you end up on your other side. your pull arm rests on top while your recovering arm is now out and forward. After that, just plain kick with a kickboard.

Then 100 kick, the same pattern as above, except for 50s instead of 100s, the whole thing on the 1:40.

3x 50s kick, each one is descend 1-3(meaning faster time each one); each 50 on the :50.
Watch your pacing with all the kicks, I let my mind wander and nearly fell off pace in the three sets. O.o Follow that up with six minutes of stretching feet, legs and anything else that might still be tight, and then...

5x 400 IM on the 6:00. The first three, hold a consistent time, then the last two are fast. I had to do this with Zoomers ohterwise I wouldn't make those 100s fly...meh. Did 4:52, 4:48, 4:53, 4:47, 4:45 for each, pretty stable and an okay descend.

Next, 20x 100 free on 1:20. First ten are even, then the next 10 are continuously going faster. I was really tired in these and could barely hold 1:12 times for all of these.
Lastly, a 200 warmdown. Yup, I made up for the day before...

So now I'm gonna lift and swim again, maybe build a little muscle. I've lost about a pound of weight since starting back up, but I wanna go slower so I don't yo-yo with my weight...plus, I'm feeling stronger and my heart's beating slower too, not working so hard. Till next time...

-------------
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 4/13/2005 6:41 PM
Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Whee, another day of workout. I lifted. Not many reps on each machine, but pretty intense and continuous for a lil' more than an hour.

One set I did was thirty situps, 30 crunches, and then 10 tricep and 10 wide pushups. Then 2 more rounds like that, with variations of the situps, including oblique (side muscles of the torso) plus regular old-fashioned pushups. That was--too bad. I suck at pushups and abs. But most other stuff was cool, also went with 5 sets of 5 pullups, concentrating on working and stimulating my back muscles. I rested about 30 seconds between pullup sets, and though I failed to do full pullups by the 3rd round, I still just tried to bang out as many as I could, my goal being to stimulate the nerves that flex all my back muscles. Stimulating nerves and muscles by forcing them as hard as I can tends to make it easier to activate more fibers and put out more strength to pull me up. And after all that, some easy warmdown in the pool. Like 5 minutes. Heck, I couldn't stay, had an appointment. >_<

-------------
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 1 of 3 - 30 messages found Next Page Last Page »
« Next Oldest