InstantForum.NET v3.4
Home
Login Register Member List
Old Forums - READ ONLY   » Lava Dome University   » Audio-Visual Club   » A Special Project  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

A Special Project
Author

Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Group: Forum Members
Active: 2/3/2007

Believe it or not, I have a question. ^_^

All you audio-visual saavy people on here I've heard talking about sampling, ripping, and all that good stuff...I need some software advice.

I want to be able to take old songs, most likely TV show themes, and rip them into their individual tracks. I know most music formats available on the web work with this, but, if it was grabbed from a TV show, is it still easily doable?

(EDIT: For clarity's sake: I'm not going to attempt to rip the music from DVDs or VHS myself, I'm looking for it on the internet. I may go as far as to torrent a DVD, but I'm going to try not to.)

Basically I want to remove the vocals. I may also want to rip beats, melodies, and other tracks individually, before splitting them into chunks to work with for sampling.

How likely is it I'll find samples from TV shows that are in a format that can be split like that?

What's the best software for doing it? At the moment all I have is Audacity, which is quite intuitive, but I'm also aware how limited it is. Again, all I need for starters is to be able to rip tracks apart.

I also want to preserve the quality as much as possible, and I'll be looking for cleaner samples to start with. Some deterioration is understandable, and wouldn't hurt the feel of what I'm trying to achieve...but I want to have as much control over loss of quality as I can.

Please don't ask what the project is. It's a secret. ^_^ It's relevant, though, and, if successful, might even get me more press than inrooms did. If I say any more I'll definately spoil it. ^_~

Your help is appriciated!

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 10/26/2006 10:17 PM

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Active: 6/18/2018

Well, I won't claim to be a full musician ass-pert, but I will say that what you're asking for sounds nigh impossible.

As far as "removing" vocals, that might work, at least "mostly."  I saw some software on the shelf the other day supposedly for removing vocals, and there are handful of mega-expensive "professional" machines to do it, but I seem to recall hearing they sucked as well.

Now, when you're talking about removing "tracks" from an already assembled song, that can be impossible depending on the song.  If you have an extended remix of the song, though, which has clear "loops" you can rip out, there's no magic software for removing a bass line or drum line from a song.  The best you could do is, instead of ripping out loops and using some stuff like Acid to arrange them, you can either individually sample instruments as best you can, working around the polyphony, but you're really better off just trying to re-compose it yourself.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I really think it'll be quite the uphill battle.

-------------------------------
Dinosorceror, Administrator
Lava Dome Five Enterprises

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 10/27/2006 8:15 AM

Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Oh, no problem! I just had no idea.

I thought I remembered learning that most forms of music recording have their separate tracks, and retain that to a degree even written to physical media.

I thought that even vocals in a song were their own track, and so, if you were able to view and edit a song's individual tracks, you could remove the vocals.

But, I was doing research, and looked more in-depth than I have before at ACID. I'm currently just trying ACID XPRESS, to see what the interface is like, but I'll probably end up getting ahold of PRO here soon. ^_^

And, as you suggested, probably end up composing myself.

Which, doing it with loops and mixing, will be much less tedious for me than trying to work with a MIDI editor, and will probably come out with better sound, too.

Thanks!

Of course, anything anyone else would like to add is welcome. Afterall, I haven't really started the project yet. ^_^

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 10/28/2006 11:09 AM

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Active: 6/18/2018

It's true that all modern music composition is done on multi-track software, but unless you can get a hold of the individual tracks, you're kinda screwed.  It's very rare that musicians put that out.  The only example I have of it is that The Shamen put out a "Move Any Mountain" CD single that had a few remixes, but also had a dozen or so tracks at the end that were the loops of the various tracks in the song so that people like you and me could do just want you want to do and make remixes or redo your own vocals.

-------------------------------
Dinosorceror, Administrator
Lava Dome Five Enterprises

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 10/30/2006 9:02 AM

Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Ok, next question...

Where's a good place to find instrument samples? I'd just go with MIDI notes, but, they're not all that great a sound...

Plus, I want more variety than that. ^_^

I don't want whole loops. I may eventually use some, but I'd really rather write my own if I'm going to. I just want single note samples. A4, C1, D3...etc. The longer the note, the better, too...

BUT - I'm not looking for someone to go make samples just for me - is there a place I can get them, download them? Or several places? I've found a few free sites, but they mostly have loops. Only one so far had individual note samples, and not that many...

EDIT: I found a promising place! The University of Iowa's Electronic Music Studios have samples of acoustic instruments all the way from A0 to C8, with various options for each instrument. Right now I'm just downloading each of the C's, I'll see how I can blend that across the other notes...

I might end up tweaking these acoustic samples in Audacity for any more electronic sounds I might want...but, there're some sounds that just have to be MADE. I still haven't found a good resource for those.

I also might DOWNLOAD some of these loops people offer, and chop them up in Audacity for notes. But I'd really like to try and find some premade notes before I go to those lengths.

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 10/30/2006 8:12 PM

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 3/22/2011
The scoop for removing vocals -- on some formats, the vocals are on an entirely different layer than the rest of the music, but it really depends on the type of software you're using as to whether you could actually remove that layer in question.

If both layers are 'stuck' together, then you'll loose quality when you try to mute the vocals. I'm not familiar with Audacity, but if there's an in-depth EQ plugin that you could find you might be able to do it manually, just by... to coin a phrase... "tweaking the freqs"

I'll throw a few links out:

http://www.cdburner.ca/news/remove-vocals-mp3-instrumental.htm
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/karaokeanything.html
http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Multimedia_and_Graphics/Misc__Sound_Tools/YoGen_Vocal_Remover.html

As for sampling... it depends on what you're going for.

If you're willing to spend some money, look around for a really sensative mic and then just go around your house/apartment/neighborhood/place-of-employment/etc. and beat on shit and find objects that make weird or interesting noises.

If you want good samples that aren't yours, you could just download lots and lots of film scores. Most film scores have no vocals... all the better to, umm, sample with, my dear?

For other noises (ooh, the pleasure), look into VST stuff and see what you can find. I'm pretty sure that Audacity supports that stuff. Anyway, if you look you can find sweet VSTs and MIDI-editors to use with them, all for free.

Of course, since this is all hush-hush™, I'm not sure if any of my advice is in any way helpful to you, but lemme know if you want more information, because, of course, I am infamous for my will to do some collab-shit with other macros/furries/herps/etc.

Drop me a line by PM or keep going here, whichever works.

Something more important than Patch's sentiments: SAVE the goddamned INTERNET!
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 11/1/2006 9:27 AM

Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Hey, thanks!

And yes, I know Audacity *does* support VST plugins. But you're right, I haven't looked too in-depth at those, or tried looking for them.

I bet I *could* find some nice EQ stuff that way.

Now, movie scores...

Good idea! Except...well, they have no vocals, but still have a lot of instruments playing at once, usually. So unless they're in separate layers as well...

I'm really looking for single notes on single instruments, sampling-wise.

The noisemaking thing I'm familiar with - I know somebody who asked my roommate to read a passage out of a book, then he fliped the wave backwards and upsidedown. Made it all craaAAaAaazy sounding. He had that mixed in with a whole bunch of sounds...

Also, I found that fruity loops has some interesting samples, mostly techno-esque, but I'm also looking for that side of things. I'm looking for both acoustic instruments, and techno/electronica style synths, and guitar (both acoustic and electric), and drum sets and such.

I want to build my own digital multi-genre orchestra. ^_^

I'll check out those pages for vocals removing, and try it on a few songs - see if I can get it to work.

The sampling and vocals removing are actually two separate ideas for the same project, and if I do the sampling, it won't be a remix of any existing songs. But if I get the vocals removed, then I can take some classic themes, blend them together a little, and create my own vocals for them to fit what I'm doing. ^_^

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 11/2/2006 6:03 PM

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 3/22/2011
I could probably do a trumpet-samplebank if you wanted.

I hit a high D the other day...

'Seems to me that your best bet would just to be ask Lavadomers if they're willing to make samples for you. I'm sure that someone around here plays guitar, and blah, and blah.

Seriously, I think you should learn how to use Audacity's VST engine... VSTs are powerful stuff.

Something more important than Patch's sentiments: SAVE the goddamned INTERNET!
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 1 of 1 - 8 messages found
« Next Oldest