InstantForum.NET v3.4
Home
Login Register Member List
Old Forums - READ ONLY   » Lava Dome University   » Building Maintenance   » Driver's license?  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Driver's license?
Author

Group: Forum Members
Active: 4/2/2006
I built a vehicle recently in Faibanx, as an item, and I was wondering if it's possible in any way to program it to be rideable, as in you can get on it and move it about rather than having to carry it in your pocket like a regular item?
I guess I could make it a pupet but i got two mechs of my own and I'm not sure I want a hoard of pupet characters floating around my base.
Any help if possible would be much appreciated.

Bronzewing "I say Number One, my end is DIVING. What the hell is your end doing?""It thinks we're either a threat, food or a mate - it's gonna either kill us, eat us or hump us."
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 11/26/2005 8:25 PM

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 12/10/2007
I remember somebody was asking about this a month ago on faibanx. But I havent heard of any way of doing that, Instead they just made the car a puppet and made it carry others.
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 11/28/2005 10:46 AM

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Active: 6/18/2018
Akisame had just about perfected a method to carry users around on an object, which could be used for a vehicle, but I haven't seen him around Faibanx in ages.

-------------------------------
Dinosorceror, Administrator
Lava Dome Five Enterprises

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 10/22/2006 4:20 AM

Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Active: 2/3/2007
Ah-ha! Relevance. And I checked on Faibanx, and saw you've been on recently...

Inrooms is, more or less, done...it works, anyways. I'm still coming out with improvements over time. But inrooms probably isn't the thing for what you're doing.

You created the object.

So, now:

@set (object)=V

@act (name of command to enter vehicle)=(object)
@link (above name)=(object)

@act (name of command to use to move the vehicle)=(object)
@link (above name)=$nothing
@succ (same)={force:(object),{&arg}}

And it should be usable as a vehicle. For instance: say you created an object named 'Car'. @set Car=V, then make a 'getin' exit on it and link the exit to it, then make a 'drive' action on the object, which you set up very much like a zombie.

From any vehicle object, you can type 'leave' to go to the room the vehicle's in. You should automatically see messages from that room, and they should see your messages, unless the object's also set Dark. If it doesn't seem to work that way, then set both the object and the 'getin' exit _broadcast?:yes.

If all goes well, you should be able to drop the object, 'getin' (or whatever you called it) it, and 'drive' it around (north, "Hello!, :putputs, doesn't matter.)

Finally, you can set it's @idesc, just like a description, for what you see when you're INSIDE the vehicle. Outside will see the normal description.

Vehicles have a number of limitations, which make them great for this purpose, but makes inrooms still a relevant development:

-Only objects of type 'thing' (with no type flag, or sometimes referenced by 't') can be vehicles.
-Vehicles can't broadcast or allow people in/out in rooms set 'V', and cannot use exits set 'V'.
-There can only be one room in a vehicle. No huge spaceships. It's just the inside of a single object.
-People can't enter a vehicle if it's on your person, not even you can, until you set it down.
-As obvious above, it's complex to set up a vehicle!

If you want, I can port a more beefed-up Vehicle System, but I tried it when first working on inrooms - the thing uses six or so separate programs, and is overall hugely bloaty. And not much simpler to use. That one supports multi-room vehicles, com systems, and special locks on vehicle entrances/exits, and is more secure. As far as inrooms is concerned, it doesn't serve those purposes so well as it does its own.

Well, hope that's helpful! If not, you can always page #mail me. ^_^

P.S. - for those who may be familiar with vehicles, especially furry muck, that probably looks a lot like the tutorials they host there. I wrote it myself, without looking at anything else, but those tutorials are where *I* learned, so that's why any similarity. However, I didn't directly plaguerize. Only made indirect reference through word choices such as 'getin' and 'drive' as exit names. ^_^

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 11/23/2006 12:29 AM

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Active: 6/18/2018
Very cool, Aki!

-------------------------------
Dinosorceror, Administrator
Lava Dome Five Enterprises

IP Logged