InstantForum.NET v3.4
Home
Login Register Member List
Old Forums - READ ONLY   » Projects   » Dinosaucers DVD's   » Hey, I'm actually digitizing e...  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Hey, I'm actually digitizing episodes!
Author

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Group: Forum Members
Active: 6/18/2018
Check the web page for updates.  I captured two episodes from the original airing tonight.  Each one is over six gigabytes of raw video data!  I'm almost as anal as Foofers.

-------------------------------
Dinosorceror, Administrator
Lava Dome Five Enterprises

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 6/8/2005 8:52 AM

Active: 5/20/2007
Sounds good.  How good was the picture quality when it was over?  Did you keep the opening/closing credits in there?
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 6/8/2005 11:04 AM

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Well, the picture quality of the raw data is just as good as the original. Getting stuff from VHS source material...it can't get any worse digitizing it in an uncompressed state. That's why I'm going to archive this raw uncompressed video/audio data...it's about as good as I'm ever going to get from the videotape source, and I can always futz with it with different programs or methods in the future. Of course, when I hand those tapes off to the outside party with the funky equipment, that might make a difference.

One thing I was pondering last night on the muck...I wonder if there's a way to use multiple copies of the same material to merge and get a "best-of" type output. I was thinking...I must have the opening titles and the intro/outros dozens of times on tape. You'd think there would be some way I could feed in this same stream and have it merge or overlap somehow to eliminate the faults in the video and broadcast to wind up with a near-flawless rendition of it. I was thinking of trying something as simple as mixing four or five video tracks simultaneously at 20% strength each and seeing what averages out as a result. I'll have to give that a try in a week or two when I have enough digitized.

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 6/9/2005 10:38 AM

Forum Moderator
Supreme Being

Active: 4/16/2008
You really started with that? C'mon, next you tell us that SSD is going to be running some day.

Seriously, good luck and patience on that digitizing.

Blue anthroraptor, Iconeer
Resident anthrosaur

(Linking the Faibanx muck map here hoping that helps google find it properly: http://download.lavadomefive.com/members/blue/map/main.html )
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 6/9/2005 3:21 PM

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 6/17/2007
So are these episodes going to be on the FTP site?
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 6/9/2005 9:37 PM

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Yep...as the web site says, I will be publishing the episodes in Windows Media format for downloading as well.

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 6/11/2005 2:21 AM

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

I can't wait to download them.
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 6/12/2005 8:03 PM

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Indeed...what I've decided to do is to publish the WMV versions of the raw captured video, so people can see them since they've been waiting forever.  However, I'm not even going to start working on the DVD's until I have everything captured, because I will be schmoozing and processing and piecemealing these together from the best bits of every tape.  For instance, the USA network versions have mostly better video (except for the gay USA logo and bits cut out competely) and very good audio, so I'll probably be using the USA audio as much as possible, and most of the video.  And, of course, only the original airing has the intros/outros which are nice to have, too.  In otherwords, schmoozing these videos will be a ton of work, and I doubt people wanna wait that long. 

So, every week or so, I'll be making WMV versions of the raw captured video for people to download and see what I'm up to.  These will be published on the LD5 BitTorrent site.

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 6/13/2005 2:44 AM

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Darn i won't be able to download them on Bittorrent. Downloaded the old episodes off the Lava dome five FTP site.
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 6/14/2005 5:36 PM

Active: 6/10/2007
Quote: Well, the picture quality of the raw data is just as good as the original. Getting stuff from VHS source material...it can't get any worse digitizing it in an uncompressed state. That's why I'm g...

Unless you can get them synchronized exactly (down to the frame) it'd be impossible. If you could get that, I'd imagine it would be pretty straightforward although I've never done this myself.

Now that my camera is functioning (somewhat) normally, I've started dumping episodes. To begin, I'm capturing as raw DV since it's the camera's native output & recording format. After dropping the intro/outros, I'll back those up to DVD in case the camera craps out again. After everything gets captured...then the post-processing fun begins.

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 1 of 3 - 30 messages found Next Page Last Page »
« Next Oldest :: Next Newest »