InstantForum.NET v3.4
Home
Login Register Member List
Old Forums - READ ONLY   » Projects   » Faibanx 3D   » Demo01 - Ragdoll Physics/Engin...  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Demo01 - Ragdoll Physics/Engine Test available for download ...
Author

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Group: Forum Members
Active: 6/18/2018

http://download.lavadomefive.com/faibanx3d/demo01.exe

Well, it is a day late, and it's really nothing much at all, but I do want to test out how well this game engine and the physics engine works for everyone.  It doesn't even have any macro content...it's a human ragdoll wearing a LD5 t-shirt...a 'victim'.    You can toss him around with the right mouse button.

This app is a DirectX 9 app, so you will have to have that version to run...or at least, so I'm told.  Right now it's fixed to run in an 800x600 window.

The link above is a self-extracting RAR archive...only two files, the EXE and a DLL in a directory.  Just run the EXE, and make sure the DLL is sittin' there with it.  The DLL handles the physics stuff.

So I'm interested in very simple feedback.  Does it work?  Does it not work?  What FPS do you get with one ragdoll at idle?  How about five, or ten?  If we don't get a huge chorus of people saying it just doesn't work, it's time to look at different graphics engines. 

-------------------------------
Dinosorceror, Administrator
Lava Dome Five Enterprises

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 7/27/2005 3:36 PM

Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Active: 2/8/2007
What FPS do you get with one ragdoll at idle?
About 60.
How about five, or ten?
11 FPS with 5, 1 with 10.
Does it work?
Yes, Yes it does.
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 7/27/2005 9:19 PM
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Active: 7/28/2005

I have no problems running at all, the only drop i had was when spawning more than 6 ragdolls at once from a top down view. the view works nicely on all angles, and i never noticed a drop below 64 fps, at all settings provided. (except noted above)

My system specs that have relevance, i guess. Pentium 4 2.66 ghtz, 128 mb radeon 9800 pro (agp 8x card), 512 mb ram, dell flat panel monitor. hope this helps.

"If life is the sum of who we are, never forget th
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 7/27/2005 9:44 PM

Forum Moderator
Supreme Being

Active: 4/16/2008
In idle i get 66 on my old trusty yet atm totally messed up 98SE, 2.4Ghz.
Having more (moving or not) dolls does not really seem to affect that, unless they touch each other. Achieving that by spawning them into each other while they fall, i can get fps down to 16 with 5, and 5 with 10 of the funky t-shirt wearers.

-------------------------------
Blue anthroraptor, Iconeer
Resident anthrosaur

(Linking the Faibanx muck map here hoping that helps google find it properly: http://download.lavadomefive.com/members/blue/map/main.html )
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 7/27/2005 9:55 PM

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 3/22/2011
Wow... that was way more fun than it should've been...

That really reminded me of Black and White [next edition comes out in March of next year!!!]... I was thinking "villager" the whole time as opposed to "victim."

You probably noticed that they go a little crazy when you sling them full-force into the ground, but I don't imagine that'll happen too much ingame.

Okay, sorry, on with the diagnostics...

1 peasant idling: 66 fps
10 peasants idling: 48 fps
20 peasants idling: 26 fps
30 peasants idling: 3 fps

I was going to take a screenshot just to show that I wasn't lying but Camtasia crashed the demo... figures.... Open GL and/or DirectX conflicts are usually a lot uglier.

Anyway, it works really well and I'm totally enthuzed to see what's next, Dino.

Something more important than Patch's sentiments: SAVE the goddamned INTERNET!
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 7/28/2005 3:40 AM

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Active: 12/3/2005
You know, I have a knack for find glitches in games when they first come out, and this is no surpise, so sorry. I found it fun, though when you make a slight jerk witht he mouse or so while tugigng him, or let him fall on a limb and put it out a place (which is easy with the ragdoll system), the victim begins shaking around like a seizure all out of control like.

I had to try it when you said spoogefest, and spoogefest is what it seems to be in the future. Plesue keep it coming along.Literature is like the penis, vital to have and fu
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 7/28/2005 4:00 PM
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Active: 11/11/2006
Quote: http://download.lavadomefive.com/faibanx3d/demo01.exe Well, it is a day late, and it's really nothing much at all, but I do want to test out how well this game engine and the physics engine wo...

Well, I tried it out, it worked alright, with 1 ragdoll it stayed at 65fps, more than 1 it started to drop. At 5 it was down to 24 FPS, and at 10 it went down to a whopping 3 FPS.

System specs are AMD Athlon XP 3200, 1GB OCZ CAS2 RAM, ATI Radeon 9600 XT.

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 7/29/2005 8:19 PM

Active: 12/14/2006
Fun Fun Fun

Just tossin' round the ragdoll is freaky fun....

I've even put some english on one sendin' 'em sailin' over the edge....

Didn't keep track of my FPS tho' was havein' too much fun....

But it ran just fine with a few ragdolls on the field....

Woulfe
* Should FRAPS This Thing Just 'cause *
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 8/12/2005 9:03 PM

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Active: 9/18/2006
In hopes of this project coming out more hardware friendly [ie. less sys reqs], I'll post my results

1 guy - 58fps
5 guys - 33fps
10 guys - 4fps, and a Vishnu variant that had 10 arms
20 guys - No. Just no. Not gonna happen.

Compy:

P3@933
RAM - 384MB
VRAM - 16MB
OS - WinME, the bastard son of Win98

Welp, I hope I can run this when it's done!

Edit: Oh, hey! I found some problems!

Unable to cleanly exit. Always crashes at some point durring exiting.

The ragdoll physics usually end up more epilleptic if the man is held while moving the mouse for more than a few seconds. From there, letting go either shoots him off the platform leading to a crash, or he falls normal, and upon hitting the ground either getting stuck, or shooting off the platform.

----

The greatest power of all powers is the power of the Powersword
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 8/15/2005 7:31 AM

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 8/14/2007
bit laggy at times, Athlon 2500, geforce 4, 512 RAM

----------------------------------
Always knew i didn't belong in this world. I wasn't made for this. But I'll never forget- those who betrayed me, and those who never failed my trust. I'll be carrying nothing but this lesson: never trust anyone and rely on your instincts. Forget the past. I'll never find peace here. So, I'll seek justice for myself. I'll choose the truth I like.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
click this link to help the little vampire argonian http://world6.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=114028
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 1 of 3 - 21 messages found Next Page Last Page »
« Next Oldest :: Next Newest »