InstantForum.NET v3.4
Home
Login Register Member List
Old Forums - READ ONLY   » Meaty Macro Goodness   » General Discussion and Comments   » LD5 Contest: Help Reshape the...  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

LD5 Contest: Help Reshape the Dome
Author

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Group: Forum Members
Active: 6/18/2018

Okay, we all know I'm lazy.  And that's lazy with a capital LAZY.  But what good am I for?  A laugh, and an occasional contest, that's what!

As hopefully some of you have seen on the front page, I'm in the process of making an amusing yet entirely accurate introduction video to what Lava Dome Five is all about.  It's going to be part of a complete graphical redux of the LD5 web site into something more entertaining...something that tells that first time visitor just what we're all about.

However, as you've also noticed, I'm plagued by a curse known as A Day JobTM.  Combined with the BullshitTM that said evil produces, I'm never making enough time to work on LD5 stuff, which would be infinitely more enjoyable.  Therefore, I'm proposing two things:  one, that I start scheduling work times and meetings with members of the Dome to discuss what the new web site should be like, and two, that members who support the process, either by contributing material of a sort or by simply suggesting something stomp-tacular, be rewarded with swag.

In the past, long time Domers may recall that we've had contests that issued out swag for submitting LD5 product ideas or coloring in particularly stompy pictures from a kid's coloring book.  As always, although it's nice to see truly amazing works of talent, I always ensure that contests can be entered by everyone, regardless of how they contribute.

This contest is going to work the same way.  And hopefully, although I'm sure that everyone here is just dying to contribute just for the sake of contributing, the swag might even be enough incentive to get an ass as massive as Helvetica Bold's in gear.*

The list of prizes I have so far are as follows:

2 gigabyte iPod nano, black

Netgear ProSafe VPN Firewall 50, model FVS338

Netgear RangeMax Wireless Router, model WPN824

And yes, all of these are new-in-the-box products, not crap that I didn't want anymore as in previous LD5 contests.    As interest grows, I might add even more swag.

So how will it work?  Well, one person who I deem has helped me out the most will be chosen by me personally.  The other prizes will go to a random selection from everyone who contributed.  I won't announce which is which.  I'll contact the winners and ask what their preferred prizes are, in order, to try and assign who wants what the most.  I will, of course, keep a list of everyone who's "officially entered" and make that list public.

What does it mean that "you contributed?"  Well, it can mean anything from you just showed up at most of the planning and design meetings and had something interesting to say, all the way to you having done all of the XML for the PHP SQL whatsistm that generates giant stomping claws on the Faibanx MUCKTM page.

The contest will end when I say the rebirth of the web pages is complete, which hopefully won't be too far off if it's on a schedule and everyone is helping out.

So there, it's officially underway -- almost.  As I mentioned, this is a two-part mission:  the second is to generate the content, but the first is to get on a schedule.  To do that, I need to know when people who are willing to help out are available to meet in a real-time situation, probably on Faibanx MUCKTM.  I anticipate that meeting sessions should happen once a week and I'm presuming they will occur on the weekend.  Therefore, I plan on working on the project every weekend during the meeting and after it, at the very least.  Naturally, some people can't meet every weekend, and most probably won't even have to, what with these here forums and all to have never-ending discussions that can be accessed at any time.  However, a weekly meeting is still a good idea, and it gets me in the habit of working on the project.

So, here on the forum, on the mailing list, via private E-mail, please let me know by next weekend that (a) you're interested in helping out in some fashion, even if it's just a bunch of bright ideas, and (b) what time windows on the weekend you're available for meetings.

This kind of project is going to be tons of fun, and I've been contacted by so many people for doing stuff from web design to voiceovers for the intro video that it'd be criminal if I let this enormous pool of talent go to waste.  For months and months, I've been telling everyone, "Thanks, that's great that you can do that, I'll let you know when I need it!"

Well, now I need it, and I want you to know how much it's appreciated by tossing out some gifts to go with the usual kudos.  I intend the new look of the Dome to last for quite some time, so here's your chance to get one of those bricks with your name on it in the walkway to the museum of giant saurians.

*Helvetica?  Who's he?  MANDATORY POKE AT OLD TIMERS WHO SHOULD HANG AROUND MORE

-------------------------------
Dinosorceror, Administrator
Lava Dome Five Enterprises

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 7/23/2006 6:21 PM

Forum Moderator
Supreme Being

Active: 4/16/2008
Yeah sounds like a good start and the best we can get apart from you just coming up with something brilliant.
Those who are on Faibanx will know when i am on over the weekend, so yes, we can discuss it there if you want.

Blue anthroraptor, Iconeer
Resident anthrosaur

(Linking the Faibanx muck map here hoping that helps google find it properly: http://download.lavadomefive.com/members/blue/map/main.html )
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 7/24/2006 8:45 AM

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 7/4/2007
WHEEEEEEE! TIME TO HAVE FUN! I'll help.

------------------------------------------------------------
Timanth - Martial Arts Teacher
Resident dragonmorph
Timanth - Fame:0 Karma:0
+10 Points for Guessing Right on Ahastar's Pic!
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 7/24/2006 8:25 PM

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Well, this is a good start so far...I've gotten a handful of E-mail responses as well.  I mean, I'd love for 50 people to help, but I don't think I could manage it! 

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 8/16/2006 8:12 PM

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Well, just to let you all know that I'm not dead (just goofing around), I have done another round of Spring CleaningTM here in the office, so I'm closer to sticking in those hard drives in the server.  And once that's done, then I upgrade server software.  And once THAT's done, then I start working on that intro video and the new website again.

So I know, I'm wee and I suck, but I'm still juggling a lot of balls NO JOKES PLEASE in Real-LifeTM, so I'm trying my best to get to the fun/creative stuff.

One of these days I'll post some pics of the fun new RL toys, too...

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 8/17/2006 3:16 PM

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 12/11/2009
We have three sizes: wee, not so wee, and FRIGGIN' HUGE!

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men..."
Keep up the good break, and don't forget to work every now and then!

--------------------------------

Dedicated to all those who stepped on this sacred ground (and its inhabitants), determined Da Dome "wasn't for them" and left without a word.
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 8/25/2006 5:41 AM

Forum Moderator
Supreme Being

Perhaps someone skilled could design a nice Faibanx Logo..

Resident anthrosaur

(Linking the Faibanx muck map here hoping that helps google find it properly: http://download.lavadomefive.com/members/blue/map/main.html )
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 8/26/2006 5:57 PM

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

A Faibanx logo?  Really? 

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 8/27/2006 9:34 AM

Forum Moderator
Supreme Being

Quote: A Faibanx logo? Really?

OK, to encourage everyone, here is a really crappy and ugly sketchy suggestion for one that everyone of you should easily be able to top:

(yes, those are supposed to be over-perspectively slanted buildings, suburban with trees/forest, office, and highrises)

Resident anthrosaur

Attachments:

Faibanx-logo.gif
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 9/16/2006 2:27 PM

Forum Moderator
Supreme Being

OK, in collaboration with Diablo, who helped me out by doing this terrific paw (why not ask an expert on those when there are so many around i thought ), i finally managed to finish a more... viewable version of the logo suggestion:

(Another idea was having that (or another even more linedraw) paw as default, and later perhaps having various Faibanx character in there perhaps as alternate versions.)

Resident anthrosaur

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 1 of 2 - 17 messages found Next Page Last Page »
« Next Oldest :: Next Newest »